Tyrese is playing his way into an opportunity in the NBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyrese is playing his way into an opportunity in the NBA

Reaction Score
Like I said in the ThoughtZ the other day -- he reminds me more and more of Donny Marshall. For his career, Donny averaged about 10 points, 4-1/2 boards, a dime and a steal. In his senior year, it was almost 16 points & 6 boards. Dimes and steals were higher than career average, but not by all that much.
Donny got drafted in the 2nd round, mostly because JC 'made some calls on his behalf' but Donny gave him ammunition in the NCAA tourney, when he averaged 24pts a game and was named to the All Tourney team.

If he shot it a little better this would be the perfect comparison. Imagine Tyrese having a Doron and KO throwing upcourt passes to a streaking Rese? Same athlete good call RichZ.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, the Marquette cheerleaders like him
View attachment 72040

He is a handsome dude.

I recall late summer when I said he'd start at the SG spot with Jackson at the 3 and this board insisted he couldn't play guard. I thought he showed enough ball handling last year to dispel that, but I would say he did what he said he was doing in the offseason and worked on it. It shows, he's really comfortable with the ball now.

That's really the key, along with reliable outside shooting. His size, athleticism, strength and rebounding were already + traits to make him a good bench guard in the NBA. Since we obviously love silly comps, I'll throw out the best one I have (with his defense not at this level) Marcus Smart. Guy just does a bit of everything you need to help you win.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Idk if Jae Crowder us the right comp. I’d say I see a mix of LeBron James, Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant in his game. But that’s just me.
Then he'll be the next UConn All-American and NBA Hall of Famer- correct?

Reaction Score
Where can I find the “Polley can be an NBA player” boneyard thread?

Reaction Score
I will ask again: WHO SAID HE WOULD?
There was plenty of talk here preseason about Hawkins being one and done with a great season. A 1% outcome of course, but there was talk

Reaction Score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211224-103351.png
    Screenshot_20211224-103351.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 262

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There was plenty of talk here preseason about Hawkins being one and done with a great season. A 1% outcome of course, but there was talk
I must have missed that. Seems a patently ridiculous expectation.

Reaction Score
Where can I find the “Polley can be an NBA player” boneyard thread?
Before you open it, I'll give you all 2 guesses who started that thread.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm thinking his handle needs to improve for the NBA. The former player he reminds me of the most is Donny Marshall. I think he makes a comfortable living playing abroad. Kevin Freeman is another similar player. Great college player, tough, hard working, lots of positive attributes, just not enough handle to be a three or a two in the NBA.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It’s almost like we’re a blue blood program where our best players get chances in the NBA

We're not blue blood, we don't land the number one pick coming out of high school. We're better, we're blue collar, our kids have to work their way into the league and we still win championships

Reaction Score
they were ALL SMILES after he drove in hard for an and 1 ;)

Attachments

• allsmiles.JPG
    allsmiles.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 253
Reaction Score
He is a handsome dude.

I recall late summer when I said he'd start at the SG spot with Jackson at the 3 and this board insisted he couldn't play guard. I thought he showed enough ball handling last year to dispel that, but I would say he did what he said he was doing in the offseason and worked on it. It shows, he's really comfortable with the ball now.

That's really the key, along with reliable outside shooting. His size, athleticism, strength and rebounding were already + traits to make him a good bench guard in the NBA. Since we obviously love silly comps, I'll throw out the best one I have (with his defense not at this level) Marcus Smart. Guy just does a bit of everything you need to help you win.

I like Tyrese a lot. He's clearly one of the more reliable guys on this team and gives them some toughness that they sorely need. That said, he was pretty dominant in the first half of last season too. Can he be a role player in the NBA? Maybe, crazier things have happened. But I think you're overrating his ball skills and scoring ability. He's a bully at the college level (and I mean that as a compliment). The Marcus Smart comp is a stretch. We're talking about the sixth overall pick in the draft. Maybe it's a testament to how good NBA player are that a guy like that - who is very, very skilled - is seen as a jack of all trades.

I would love to see Tyrese be dominant all season, maintain his shooting and scoring, and have a shot at the league. We'll see. Lot of different directions this team could go,

Reaction Score
Almost anyone who pulls on a UConn jersey has a chance. Bruce Kuczenski had a cup of coffee in the league.

When someone starts a thread about -does so and so have a chance to be drafted or play in the NBA- it is immediately filled with a bunch of negative nonsense about how the guy has NO CHANCE. How the thread is stupid, and anyone who thinks he has a chance is stupid, and that the player will never develop.

But the truth is that far stranger things have happened than a guy like TM gets a spot on an NBA roster at some point.

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
Well, the Marquette cheerleaders like him
View attachment 72040
Ok i’ll say it… Is there anything else to overplay on the yard right now? Lol. 100% at peace with my thirst for the ladies and not a hater at all. CHEERful MoJo in meme form. Happy Holidays!!!

Reaction Score
I like Tyrese a lot. He's clearly one of the more reliable guys on this team and gives them some toughness that they sorely need. That said, he was pretty dominant in the first half of last season too. Can he be a role player in the NBA? Maybe, crazier things have happened. But I think you're overrating his ball skills and scoring ability. He's a bully at the college level (and I mean that as a compliment). The Marcus Smart comp is a stretch. We're talking about the sixth overall pick in the draft. Maybe it's a testament to how good NBA player are that a guy like that - who is very, very skilled - is seen as a jack of all trades.

I would love to see Tyrese be dominant all season, maintain his shooting and scoring, and have a shot at the league. We'll see. Lot of different directions this team could go,
He’s kind of like a smaller Anthony Mason in my mind. He’s adequate pushing the ball down court and he can do some things with it. I don’t think Tyrese has the genes to be quite like Mase though.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I have no illusions that he is a Marcus Smart level player. Merely that they both have a similar style of play as big physical guards who rebound, defend, make some plays, score at the rim while being merely ok shooters. Marcus is a more gifted playmaker and better defender among other things.

Reaction Score
I have no illusions that he is a Marcus Smart level player. Merely that they both have a similar style of play as big physical guards who rebound, defend, make some plays, score at the rim while being merely ok shooters. Marcus is a more gifted playmaker and better defender among other things.
I watched Smart warm up at the Knicks/Celtics opening night game and he maybe misses ONE shot the entire time. Reese ain’t even doing that in warmups. Smart is a different level offensive players than Reese

Reaction Score
Smart shot 25% from three in his second season wth the Cs. 28% in his third. He was all over the place, very undependable in his first few years. He has made himself a very valuable piece but it took a while to get there.

Reaction Score
Smart shot 25% from three in his second season wth the Cs. 28% in his third. He was all over the place, very undependable in his first few years. He has made himself a very valuable piece but it took a while to get there.

Interesting comparison.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

He was a good volume scorer at OK State, but wasn’t as good an outside shooter as Martin is.

Reaction Score
I’ve said it in other threads- he is the most consistent guy on the team. He’s scored in double figures in all but one game he’s played this season. No one else on the team can say that. His consistency will play a big role in future professional opportunities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom