Tyrese is playing his way into an opportunity in the NBA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tyrese is playing his way into an opportunity in the NBA

Reaction Score
Hey my opinion is that many if not most college NCCA Div 1 player have an NBA career as their goal. Most who do not have the talent are told that by an honest coach or two along the line or the perceptive one’s realize themselves. Those who are close to NBA material but not over that bar are either advised by coaches that an international playing career may be their path.
I think that a college player should initially be propelled by that objective of an NBA career and reality should set in eventually.

Sadly as I had pointed out in another thread I do not believe that enough college players have earning a degree as their prime objective. All of them should if only as a career path backup plan.

Reaction Score
Tyrese is playing his way into an opportunity in the NBA. He has the combination of size, strength, athleticism, and skill that will make for an effective role player. Reminds me a bit of Jae Crowder’s game— 6’6”, strong, defends the perimeter well, great rebounder, can make open shots and get to the rim. Just needs to work on his finishing.
Quite frankly, let’s focus on enjoying his college career. It’s tough getting NBA playing time. I wish more fans would trust Chief on that, especially given my track record.

Reaction Score
The idea of Polley, a legit 6’9” sharpshooter with an unblockable release would of course be in demand but the reality is he doesn’t shoot well enough (along with his age and not having other strengths to his game).

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The idea of Polley, a legit 6’9” sharpshooter with an unblockable release would of course be in demand but the reality is he doesn’t shoot well enough (along with his age and not having other strengths to his game).
The dude is not a legit sharpshooter

Reaction Score
Polley spaced out on an NBA floor might make some team take a stab at him.
I've defended Polley as much as anyone on this board. This isn't happening. He's forgotten how to shoot.

Reaction Score
Tyrese is playing his way into an opportunity in the NBA. He has the combination of size, strength, athleticism, and skill that will make for an effective role player. Reminds me a bit of Jae Crowder’s game— 6’6”, strong, defends the perimeter well, great rebounder, can make open shots and get to the rim. Just needs to work on his finishing.
I watch more nba than healthy. He is 6-foot-6, athletic, can defend and shoot. We look way too much at whether a player is gonna be a star or not.

He's gonna get a look. There are a lot of players who can do what he does though. Maybe his energy level separates him.

Reaction Score
Just doesnt shoot it well enough. Also, he cant defend anyone at the NBA level. He would have to be Duncan Robinson level shooter to play.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Martin will earn big playing somewhere next year but he is in no way in the same planet as Marcus Smart

Reaction Score
I watch more nba than healthy. He is 6-foot-6, athletic, can defend and shoot. We look way too much at whether a player is gonna be a star or not.

He's gonna get a look. There are a lot of players who can do what he does though. Maybe his energy level separates him.
His shooting is not something I would group with his athleticism and defense.

Reaction Score
I think Tyrese will get a shot. Jae Crowder is an interesting comp - similar size and similar Jack of all Trades type game. Jae Crowder was a way more accomplished college player though - BE POY, All-American, etc.

Usually NBA role-players are college stars who learned to adjust their games in the pro's. Duncan Robinson is the rare example of a guy who was a role-player in college who became a more useful role-player in the NBA.

If Tyrese makes the league it's going to be because he worked extremely hard and grinded his way up from the undrafted/G-League ranks. I wouldn't doubt that he is capable of this - seems like a driven kid.

Reaction Score
His shooting is not something I would group with his athleticism and defense.
Why not? He is shooting 36% from 3. He is a rugged defender and can finish on the break at the rim. He does have to shoot it better, however, from 23-9.

Shooting is the easiest skill to improve. Literally, just practice.

Reaction Score
I think Tyrese will get a shot. Jae Crowder is an interesting comp - similar size and similar Jack of all Trades type game. Jae Crowder was a way more accomplished college player though - BE POY, All-American, etc.

Usually NBA role-players are college stars who learned to adjust their games in the pro's. Duncan Robinson is the rare example of a guy who was a role-player in college who became a more useful role-player in the NBA.

If Tyrese makes the league it's going to be because he worked extremely hard and grinded his way up from the undrafted/G-League ranks. I wouldn't doubt that he is capable of this - seems like a driven kid.
Crowder was terrific. Second round pick. I think Martin can be an UDFA and G League player, maybe make a roster if his shot is better. There are a lot of 6-foot-6 guards out there though. He gets to the NBA on his defensive versatility, be able to guard multiple positions and rebound out of the SF spot.

Reaction Score
Why not? He is shooting 36% from 3. He is a rugged defender and can finish on the break at the rim. He does have to shoot it better, however, from 23-9.

Shooting is the easiest skill to improve. Literally, just practice.
I mean if he can finish the year around that number maybe you have a point, but he has been pretty consistently around 32% for his career and even worse than that against tier A&B opponents.

Reaction Score
I mean if he can finish the year around that number maybe you have a point, but he has been pretty consistently around 32% for his career and even worse than that against tier A&B opponents.
I don't think you can look at shooting against caliber of opponent. All that means is that they are guarding him better. At the NBA and pro level no one is game planning to stop Martin's 3 point shot. Also, don't discount the spacing. the 23-9 NBA 3 gives more room for the offense to get off a shot. It is harder to close out shooters on the NBA 3. There is more room to move in the NBA. The question becomes if he can continue his accuracy at a longer distance.

But, there are a lot of guys 6-foot-6 who can shoot out there. His defense and versatility is the way he gets a shot.

Reaction Score
I don't think you can look at shooting against caliber of opponent. All that means is that they are guarding him better. At the NBA and pro level no one is game planning to stop Martin's 3 point shot. Also, don't discount the spacing. the 23-9 NBA 3 gives more room for the offense to get off a shot. It is harder to close out shooters on the NBA 3. There is more room to move in the NBA. The question becomes if he can continue his accuracy at a longer distance.

But, there are a lot of guys 6-foot-6 who can shoot out there. His defense and versatility is the way he gets a shot.
And you think college teams are game planning to stop Martin's 3 point shot????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom