Tyler Polley returning to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley returning to UConn

Reaction Score
Still time for this to come true!
2021-04-14 16_02_59-Tyler Polley commits to UConn! _ Page 4 _ The Boneyard.jpg

Some oofa takes here :)
2021-04-14 15_54_06-Isaiah Whaley Commits Tonight _ Page 6 _ The Boneyard.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I expect Polley to break out next season
Where is being held? Would it be easier to just try for a work furlough?

Reaction Score
I just don't get this impulse to say snarky things about kids on the team you root for. Especially things you would never in a million years say to the kid if you met him.

Polley has shot 40+% for two seasons in his career. He was not very good this past season coming back from injury and was at 35.5%. Acting like he's Michael Kidd Gilchrist or something where it would be absolutely unheard of for him to do something he's already done twice is just moronic.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I just don’t see why you over-estimate his value when the one thing that he’s supposed to be good at he’s actually just mediocre at.

Reaction Score
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I just don’t see why you over-estimate his value when the one thing that he’s supposed to be good at he’s actually just mediocre at.
He probably doesn't think he's mediocre at three point shooting, he was a 40% career three point shooter before this season where he came off a torn ACL. Players often aren't themselves in that first year back, I think the expectation is he'll be at least 40% from three next season and that's a need for this team.

Reaction Score

The number is the number, guy. People are salivating over transfers they've literally never heard of a month ago who don't shoot as well.

Find me the list of 55% three point shooters and we can have the debate over whether or not he's a mediocre shooter.

Reaction Score
The number is the number, guy. People are salivating over transfers they've literally never heard of a month ago who don't shoot as well.

Find me the list of 55% three point shooters and we can have the debate over whether or not he's a mediocre shooter.
Not for nothing, but Polley only hit 40% from 3 once - in 2019-20 (40.5%). He hit on 38% in 2018-19.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
No infatuation. The point was quite clear.
There is no rhetorical connection between the first quote and the next two quotes.

I'm guessing you thought you were catching Ern being hypocritical. The failure here is not Ern saying one thing and doing another; the failure here is your misunderstanding of the premise of his first quote.

There is a very important difference between his criticism of certain snarky comments and what follows. If you need further clues as to the difference, let's just consider the concept of common decency.

Reaction Score
It's okay Chief, I know you're a Casual Fan™️ so wouldn't expect you to know there are advantages regarding practice time and workouts to entering your name in the draft
There’s a reason it took Tyler longer than the other seniors to decide.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He was a nonstarter who opposing teams had a full defensive gameplan against specifically due to his ability to change a game with how good a shooter he is. Ppl arguing they don’t like Polley cuz he’s not a good enough shooter need their piss checked.

plus he was rocking a 99 championship t shirt in his ig story today ?

Reaction Score
No infatuation. The point was quite clear.

It actually didn't make any sense. You posted posts of mine where i said I'd get a kick out of Ollie poaching kids from UConn and another post of mine saying I can't understand the impulse to say snarky things about kids that play for UConn. I guess you were trying to do some kind of "gotcha" thing but since those two ideas aren't at all in tension it didn't make any sense. A good effort though.

Reaction Score
Polley from the arc. For his career he is 38.1%

Frosh - 41.7%
Soph - 38 %
Jr - 40.5%
Sr -35.5%

Reactions: Ugh
Reaction Score
It actually didn't make any sense. You posted posts of mine where i said I'd get a kick out of Ollie poaching kids from UConn and another post of mine saying I can't understand the impulse to say snarky things about kids that play for UConn. I guess you were trying to do some kind of "gotcha" thing but since those two ideas aren't at all in tension it didn't make any sense. A good effort though.
It’s still is really weird to wish negative things on the university you’re supposedly a fan of just to troll some message board posters who are also fans of the same university as you.

Reaction Score
It’s still is really weird to wish negative things on the university you’re supposedly a fan of just to troll some message board posters who are also fans of the same university as you.

Cool.

Reaction Score
Polley from the arc. For his career he is 38.1%

Frosh - 41.7%
Soph - 38 %
Jr - 40.5%
Sr -35.5%
anyone looking at these numbers should see that coming off his injury he was way under his 3 year average of 39.2%... as a frosh he was very low volume but made a nice improvement from his sophomore to junior years. being fully recovered he should bounce back to that 40% mark next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can live without the disappointment of a streaky shooter that inflates to 40% because of a handful of wild games.
Give me a finally healthy and savvier 5th year grad student, 6'9" all the time, making a consistent 40%+, helping us most of the time.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
He is likely to be much better on D with better lateral quickness, and as a rebounder (yes, I wrote that) because of more explosiveness, 5th year maturity and experience/system familiarity, coming off his ACL tear year 2. It takes that long to get your legs back. The day he suits up for practice he will be our best outside threat, and Hurley knows it.

Does that make him a star, or the best player on the team? No. But it makes him a major contributor when everyone knows that our most glaring problem this year was shooting. So, welcome back, Tyler Polley.

Reaction Score
I can live without the disappointment of a streaky shooter that inflates to 40% because of a handful of wild games.
Give me a finally healthy and savvier 5th year grad student, 6'9" all the time, making a consistent 40%+, helping us most of the time.
That's how it works in all sports. A .330 hitter in baseball doesn't get a hit every three at bats. He goes 4-4 one day and 3-4 the next. Than slows down.

40% isn't Polley's streak, it's been his average in two complete years.

Reaction Score
Focusing exclusively on Polley’s three point shooting is missing a huge part of the equation of his. potential
The fact that someone has to step out on him sets a number of good things in motion.
1. Tyler has shown improvement in beating his man and going to the hoop
Even if he only gets fouled getting a shooter to the line could mean 4-5 additional points a game. Even only making two three’s he can become a consistent double figure scorer.
2. When the strong side wing defender has to step out you create a lane for a slasher like Martin or Gaffney working on a two man game ie passing results in easy two or a FT .
3. Fear of those things will require that defender to hedge giving a good. shooter better looks, shot selection was a problem last year.
Getting to the FT line and passing resulting in assists can improve the team all because he is a known shooter.
Rebounding is a bonus as he is typically out of position.
Tyler problems in the past were largely due to his lack of strength. He was a skinny kid when he came here but now he is a grown man.
Hopefully he is working on my suggestions in the off season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom