Tyler Polley returning to UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley returning to UConn

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Well, right now you're on 40% on 5 attempts for Polley and a double double for Carlton.

I think you'll likely be right on the 40%, but not the attempts. I think Carlton will have a good year but nowhere near a double double.
save the posts!

He averaged 5 attempts each of the last 2 seasons. Why would that go down?

Reaction Score
save the posts!

He averaged 5 attempts each of the last 2 seasons. Why would that go down?
Well, he's technically never averaged 5 attempts per game. ;)

This is the one of the two that has the better chance of happening.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Happy about this, he could be a huge help next year a full recovery year from surgery #PositiveVibes
That's what I'm thinkin.

Reaction Score
Massive news! Both Polley and Whaley returning. Next year looks a lot better than it did a few weeks ago. Now get us some shooting guards!

Reaction Score
I guess the missing piece is a shooter now?

Someone want to break down the options? Rocket Watts.....? ...and?

Reaction Score
if polley gets back to his pre-injury form then he fits exactly what we need at the starting SF spot.

i also think that's more realistic and much less of a jump than the one AJ needs to make in order to start based on what he showed last year.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Glad he's back. The two games he carried us in January against Marquette and Butler(?) he looked like he could take the next step and really be a threat to the point where I thought if he kept it up, he might be a draft prospect. That feeling washed away quickly unfortunately but barring injury, he'll be a really big contributor.

Reaction Score
Glad to see him back! Been saying for awhile they would be fine, him coming back helps a lot. Still have flexibility to add another piece this season as well if they want to. Only sad part about this is we don’t get the @tcf15 scholarship grid update with all the beautiful colors. I always look forward to that whenever a recruit is added :)

Reaction Score
It's really hard to settle on next year's rotation except to say that the outliers right now seems to be Springs, Johnson and Akok.

The other nine all have (or will likely earn) a legitimate claim to time, and because of the overload at the 3 (Martin, Jackson, Polley), I would think that we will see some natural 3's playing the 4. If Polley comes back as a 40% 3-pt shooter and can consistently finish that baseline move he occasionally flashed last year, then he will hard to bump from the 3.

The congestion at the 3 may become even more pronounced if Cole, Gaffney and Diggins become a 3-man rotation at the 1 and 2. Such a rotation keeps two men with PG skills on the floor at all times, something DH, I think, would like to see It would, however, throw Hawkins into the congestion at the 3. The result of that would likely be a 4-man rotation at the two corners with Whaley permanently moved to the 5 to split time with Sanogo.

It's an embarrassment of riches, for sure. The wildcard is that there are studs in that mix that could end up demanding time at any price. I speak of Jackson, Hawkins, Diggins and Sanogo. It may well become clear that these four must play, and everyone else must be fit in around them. And if Akok comes back healthy, the stud count become five.

Reaction Score
It's really hard to settle on next year's rotation except to say that the outliers right now seems to be Springs, Johnson and Akok.

The other nine all have (or will likely earn) a legitimate claim to time, and because of the overload at the 3 (Martin, Jackson, Polley), I would think that we will see some natural 3's playing the 4. If Polley comes back as a 40% 3-pt shooter and can consistently finish that baseline move he occasionally flashed last year, then he will hard to bump from the 3.

The congestion at the 3 may become even more pronounced if Cole, Gaffney and Diggins become a 3-man rotation at the 1 and 2. Such a rotation keeps two men with PG skills on the floor at all times, something DH, I think, would like to see It would, however, throw Hawkins into the congestion at the 3. The result of that would likely be a 4-man rotation at the two corners with Whaley permanently moved to the 5 to split time with Sanogo.

It's an embarrassment of riches, for sure. The wildcard is that there are studs in that mix that could end up demanding time at any price. I speak of Jackson, Hawkins, Diggins and Sanogo. It may well become clear that these four must play, and everyone else must be fit in around them. And if Akok comes back healthy, the stud count become five.
Not a bad problem to have if you're the Carpenter

Reaction Score
It's really hard to settle on next year's rotation
pretty much impossible. cant even attempt the backcourt rotation until the 13th spot is filled. but assuming full health from akok, i think this is our best frontcourt rotation:

SF- polley (20); jackson (15); martin (5)
PF- whaley (15): akok (20); martin (5)
C- sanogo (25); whaley (10); springs (5)

with whaley and sanogo both locked in as 25mpg starters, polley's shooting at SF is the perfect complement. samson is the odd man out but springs and martin are probably not gonna be happy either. just too many mouths to feed and not enough separation.

Reaction Score
I'll say it again: the last several games, Polley rebounded well and played much better D. He's not going to shut down a 6'5" guy driving from the perimeter, but his defense and rebounding have vastly improved.

Reaction Score
pretty much impossible. cant even attempt the backcourt rotation until the 13th spot is filled. but assuming full health from akok, i think this is our best frontcourt rotation:

with whaley and sanogo both locked in as 25mpg starters, polley's shooting at SF is the perfect complement. samson is the odd man out but springs and martin are probably not gonna be happy either. just too many mouths to feed and not enough separation.
Polley gets 20 minutes and Martin gets 10? I'm gonna say you've got that backwards. Martin doesn't handle well or shoot from deep particularly well so he's not going to see much if any time at guard but he's going to get 20 minutes (at 3 & 4). There might be games where Polley gets 20 minutes but I doubt he starts or averages 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
This is great news! This is an opportunity for him to be more of an impact player especially on a more consistent basis.

Reaction Score
Polley gets 20 minutes and Martin gets 10? I'm gonna say you've got that backwards. Martin doesn't handle well or shoot from deep particularly well so he's not going to see much if any time at guard but he's going to get 20 minutes (at 3 & 4). There might be games where Polley gets 20 minutes but I doubt he starts or averages 20 minutes.
polley didnt come back to get his minutes cut to 15. with whaley and sanogo both starting we cant have a nonshooter at SF, period.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't see any scenario where Polley gets more minutes than Jackson or Martin. Martin may not get SG minutes this year, but he did last year at times. But we will see.

Reaction Score
I don't see any scenario where Polley gets more minutes than Jackson or Martin. Martin may not get SG minutes this year, but he did last year at times. But we will see.
that's fair but i dont see a scenario where polley doesnt start and average 20mpg. otherwise he'd be playing in europe.

i'm counting on pre-injury form from polley here

Reaction Score
polley didnt come back to get his minutes cut from 20 to 15. with whaley and sanogo both starting we cant have a nonshooter at SF, period.
But Martin's minutes are going to plummet from over 30 a game to 10? I think Martin started every game or almost every game and you're predicting mop-up time for him? You can agree to disagree but I'd be interested to hear your explanation on that as I'm sure Martin also didn't choose to return to become a fixture on the bench.

Reaction Score
But Martin's minutes are going to plummet from over 30 a game to 10? I think Martin started every game or almost every game and you're predicting mop-up time for him? You can agree to disagree but I'd be interested to hear your explanation on that as I'm sure Martin also didn't choose to return to become a fixture on the bench.
he only averaged 30 because akok didnt play and aj had a slow start. martin can't shoot or pass like polley and aj and he cant block shots like whaley and akok. what does he do better than those guys? it's not ideal i didnt like giving him 10 but something's gotta give. he was also pretty bad all around to end the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Awesome news. Another year removed from the ACL tear, I’m expecting some nice things from Tyler this upcoming season

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
that's fair but i dont see a scenario where polley doesnt start and average 20mpg. otherwise he'd be playing in europe.

i'm counting on pre-injury form from polley here

Start? Why would he start? He didn't start last year and the same guys are competing for that SF spot. I don't accept your "otherwise". He may have had no real pro options, and maybe loves playing and being at UConn. I expect him to be a reserve shooter when needed. I expect Martin starts at SF initially unless Jackson shows he deserves it.

I'm not convinced Whaley is starting either, not if Akok is healthy.

Reaction Score
polley didnt come back to get his minutes cut from 20 to 15. with whaley and sanogo both starting we cant have a nonshooter at SF, period.
Nobody is guaranteed a certain amount of minutes with this team. It will be earned through competition in practice all offseason and season. First time in close to a decade we've had this.

Reaction Score
I'll say it again: the last several games, Polley rebounded well and played much better D. He's not going to shut down a 6'5" guy driving from the perimeter, but his defense and rebounding have vastly improved.
I would probably agree with you on defense but the numbers just aren't there rebounding wise, he rebounded less the second half of the season and had a couple of bagel games near the end of the season.

Reaction Score

The leader of minutes on a team averaging 25 is very very unlikely unless we blow everyone out. Most likely, one or more guys will be injured though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom