Tyler Polley returning to UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley returning to UConn

Reaction Score
That's how it works in all sports. A .330 hitter in baseball doesn't get a hit every three at bats. He goes 4-4 one day and 3-4 the next. Than slows down.

40% isn't Polley's streak, it's been his average in two complete years.
Yeah, I understand percentages. It means if he goes 50 for 50 in 10 games then 0 for 125 in 30 games he's a 40% shooter who helps us 25% of the time and kills us 75% of the time.

Polley was under 40% 13 times this season
He was over 40% 7 times
At 40% twice.

Understand what I was getting at? For a 5th year senior, I want someone who helps us in a lot more games, not someone who just averages 40%.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I understand percentages. It means if he goes 50 for 50 in 10 games then 0 for 125 in 30 games he's a 40% shooter who helps us 25% of the time and kills us 75% of the time.

He was over 40% 7 times
At 40% twice.

Understand what I was getting at? For a 5th year senior, I want someone who helps us in a lot more games, not someone who just averages 40%.
Whelp then all is that is left so say is youre misguided ( I wanted to say idiot, but my fiancée tells me I have to be nicer on here)

Reaction Score
Whelp then all is that is left so say is youre misguided ( I wanted to say idiot, but my fiancée tells me I have to be nicer on here)
Mention to your fiance that I said it was ok if you were, shall we say, less than nice on here. Let's see how much weight that carries.?

Reaction Score
That one game when he was on fire he did use the crossover- to side step 3 combo...but overall you are right.

Reaction Score
Glad to see Tyler working out, but he will never use those dribble combinations in a game to create his own shot. Needs to work on coming off screens quicker and creating a midrange game.
He was drilling those exact combos in game during that hot stretch in January. I think there is potential to continue to use that in game, but agree yes running off screens needs to become his bread and butter.

Reaction Score
He was drilling those exact combos in game during that hot stretch in January. I think there is potential to continue to use that in game, but agree yes running off screens needs to become his bread and butter.
Absolutely, but then had a huge game stretch with zeros. When all you can do is shoot threes, its usually all or nothing. Needs to develop three levels of scoring and getting to the free throw line, so they if he is struggling from three, he can still produce and help us.

Reaction Score
Gets overlooked but he came back after a quick recovery from an ACL tear this year. Tyler Phommachanh was also playing his best ball ever before the ACL injury. He was inconsistent and overall had a disappointing year, but he could be a lot better this upcoming season.

Reaction Score

He was over 40% 7 times
At 40% twice.

ummm I might be misinterpreting your example there...but 50/175 = 29%....so maybe keep working on those percentages?

even in games where he's misfiring, which is more often than we'd like, he still stretches the defense and provides more space for sanogo and whaley in the post. Polley is a net positive for the team next year and anyone who thinks otherwise is that word that @August_West 's fiance won't let him say

Reaction Score
2 points:
1. He doesn't go anyplace with those between the legs dribbles. If a guy is standing there, he is still there.
2. He picks up his dribble and goes sideways with 2 feet that doesn't seem like it would qualify as a jump stop. Weren't some of those moves traveling? I couldn't make up my mind.

Reaction Score
I’ll never be convinced that the gather step isn’t a travel, I don’t care what the rule says

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Those little two foot hops to the left or right after picking up the ball - yeah, that used to be traveling 100%.

Now it's not only not called anymore, it's deliberately taught.

It should still be traveling. Now get off my lawn.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ummm I might be misinterpreting your example there...but 50/175 = 29%....so maybe keep working on those percentages?

even in games where he's misfiring, which is more often than we'd like, he still stretches the defense and provides more space for sanogo and whaley in the post. Polley is a net positive for the team next year and anyone who thinks otherwise is that word that @August_West 's fiance won't let him say
auggie-doggies girl carries around his cajones in a little purse, to make sure that he ain't using them when she ain't around. lol.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Glad to see Tyler working out, but he will never use those dribble combinations in a game to create his own shot. Needs to work on coming off screens quicker and creating a midrange game.
We badly need guys who can create their own shot. I think if he works at it (like he is) he probably will use it in a game?
But he also does need to work on coming off screens at scoring at all 3 levels, like you said.

I'm pretty sure he can, and probably is, working on all of these things.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is no way that yellow pole can guard this kid! Nice to see Tyler Phommachanh working hard, getting ready. Great kid.
That pole needs to get in the weight room and fill out. Then it can become a chair.

Reaction Score
Needs to learn how to pump fake & go to the basket & finish- he continues to give the defense no reason to be worried about him penetrating & going to the hoop- until he starts to do that he will continue to be a one dimensional shooter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Needs to learn how to pump fake & go to the basket & finish- he continues to give the defense no reason to be worried about him penetrating & going to the hoop- until he starts to that he will continue to be a one dimensional shooter.

Looks like the yellow pole was guarding against the drive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom