Tyler Polley--Duncan Robinson? | The Boneyard

Tyler Polley--Duncan Robinson?

Reaction Score
Duncan did not have a great college career at Michigan ---I think avg 10 points 1 year. They are similar 6-9 190-200 great pure 3 point shots role playing 3 point shooters. The game was great for many reasons last night but I think the main thing it showed is a true secondary scoring option with some nba type role talent there

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Can we stop doing this? When one player has a great game, everyone throws out the rest of their career and acts like this is how they always play. People do this with Carlton too. Polley had an incredible game, yes, but he’s never consistent. His whole career has been inconsistency and he hasn’t improved. Hopefully he builds off of last nights game and ends the year like Vital

Reaction Score
He'll need to do what he did yesterday every game if he wants that comparison.

Reaction Score
Can we stop doing this? When one player has a great game, everyone throws out the rest of their career and acts like this is how they always play. People do this with Carlton too. Polley had an incredible game, yes, but he’s never consistent. His whole career has been inconsistency and he hasn’t improved. Hopefully he builds off of last nights game and ends the year like Vital
He has improved.

Reaction Score
Look at it this way. Polley has now had two exceptional games, separated by an ACL injury and five games of rehab. For me, that's two in a row -- a suggestion of consistency. I will hold out for a third before pronouncing Tyler our official second scorer, but my long-standing doubt about Tyler's potential has been shaken. I am on the verge of conversion.

Reaction Score
i appreciate this level of optimism, but duncan robinson had the best catch-and-shoot three-point percentage of all-time last year. better than steph, klay, and ray allen. that's why he's able to play major minutes despite being a below-average nba athlete and defender.

Reaction Score

I don't think this is fair to Polley.

He was developing his game after coming in very raw. We thought he was ging to break out last year, as he put some games together like this one, and then he tore his ACL.

He is still coming back from that. He can go on a Deandre Daniels type run here for the next 2 months, and it would've been what we saw from him last year prior to getting hurt.

How can we say Polley is inconsistent when the guy tore his ACL?

Reaction Score
Look at it this way. Polley has now had two exceptional games, separated by an ACL injury and five games of rehab. For me, that's two in a row -- a suggestion of consistency. I will hold out for a third before pronouncing Tyler our official second scorer, but my long-standing doubt about Tyler's potential has been shaken. I am on the verge of conversion.
So he’s had two good games in a row separated by the 5 that he didn’t play well in that just don’t count?!?

Reaction Score
Like the similar Whaley thread. Tyler has not done enough at UCONN to warrant getting drafted or being considered as an NBA player. He still needs to add a ton to his game. I dont think there's enough time left in his UCONN career to get drafted. His NBA potential is dependent on what he does after UCONN. So in that sense, maybe, who knows. But the odds are not good.

Reaction Score
Polley will be a fine player overseas. He will never sniff the NBA or the G League.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Polley could always shoot a high percentage from three. He is a dependable 10 point a game scorer.... well 9+. That's his floor. The question has been, could he expand his game? He gave glimpses of being a more complete player last year but he was injured just when he seemed to be coming into his own. Last night he reinforced that be a dominating offensive force.

Thus far this year Polley has been hindered by bad defensive fouls. Last night, he had one foul in 24 minutes. He augmented his shooting with four rebounds and an assist. He drove the lane. He went coast to coast. It would be great to see him grow his game.

It's not crazy or inappropriate to think he can improve. He has had games like this before. He just needs more of them. And you cannot teach 6-9.

Reaction Score
So he’s had two good games in a row separated by the 5 that he didn’t play well in that just don’t count?!?

Well, you can say "he didn't play well" or you can acknowledge that he was coming off a 10-month layoff due to a broken knee and needed a few games to reacclimate. Of course, if you acknowledged the latter, it would limit the number of negatives you could hang on it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Well, you can say "he just didn't play well" or you can acknowledge that he was coming off a 10-month layoff due to a shattered knee and needed a few games to reacclimate. Of course, if you acknowledged the latter, it would limit the number of negatives you could hang on it.
It’s been his entire career at UConn. You’re trying to use his injury as an excuse for his play, while ignoring his time here. If he was a freshman or sophomore and came back that would be different

Reaction Score
To be fair, Polley could always shoot a high percentage from three. He is a dependable 10 point a game scorer.... well 9+. That's his floor. The question has been, could he expand his game? He gave glimpses of being a more complete player last year but he was injured just when he seemed to be coming into his own. Last night he reinforced that be a dominating offensive force.

Thus far this year Polley has been hindered by bad defensive fouls. Last night, he had one foul in 24 minutes. He augmented his shooting with four rebounds and an assist. He drove the lane. He went coast to coast. It would be great to see him grow his game.

It's not crazy or inappropriate to think he can improve. He has had games like this before. He just needs more of them. And you cannot teach 6-9.
Not sure how you can justify your characterization as a dependable 9+ PPG scorer when his career average is below 8. I hope he does average more than 9 moving forward, and I believe he can. I am just saying the past results don't point in that direction.

Reaction Score

I imagine players coming back from an ACL tear usually don't come back in top form.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you can justify your characterization as a dependable 9+ PPG scorer when his career average is below 8. I hope he does average more than 9 moving forward, and I believe he can. I am just saying the past results don't point in that direction.

Career average?? These are college kids. They develop We've had a host of kids who only popped in their junior years. It's happened time and time again.

Reaction Score
here we go with the boneyard. last year it was carlton to the nba. this year its polley. next year it will be andrew hurley
Polley will be a fine player overseas. He will never sniff the NBA or the G League.
It’s been his entire career at UConn. You’re trying to use his injury as an excuse for his play, while ignoring his time here. If he was a freshman or sophomore and came back that would be different

Put some respect on Ty Polley's name. Guy knows how to play and is an NBA level talent. He is not just a spot up 3 point shooter. A great human being on top of it. Polley's different. Start recognizing. Hurley needs to feed Polley more each game.

Best college basketball shooter in the country at his size.

#FeedPolley
#PolleyForTheTrey

Reaction Score
Looked like he was having fun last night.. Let's pump the brakes on his future after Storrs.. Let's see how he performs against our higher ranked opponents who have scouted him..

Legs/movement looked stronger last night than in a long time.. Hoping his teammates find him when he's in his spots.. Can be a major piece to our successes this year..No question about his potential to be an impact player once healthy..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Put some respect on Ty Polley's name. Guy knows how to play and is an NBA level talent. He is not just a spot up 3 point shooter. A great human being on top of it. Polley's different. Start recognizing. Hurley needs to feed Polley more each game.

Best college basketball shooter in the country at his size.

#FeedPolley
#PolleyForTheTrey

Good point, I take back what I said. Whaley went from a guy that I wouldn't have picked if I was starting a JCC rec team to a very good big east forward. Perhaps this was the start of something great for Polley. He even had a few buckets inside. Let's GO

Reaction Score
This is how I justify it. He didn't play much his freshman year. He averaged 2.7 ppg in 13 minutes pg.

Tyler Phommachanh sophomore year he averaged 8.4 ppg and shot 38% from three.
Tyler Phommachanh junior year he averaged 9.5 ppg and shot 40% from three.
Tyler Phommachanh senior year he is averaging 8.4 ppg and shooting 42% from three.

For the last three years the exact number is 8.7 points a game. So you got me. But I still feel justified

And he is only averaging 16 minute a game so far this year. As his minutes climb I so will his ppg.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Duncan did not have a great college career at Michigan ---I think avg 10 points 1 year. They are similar 6-9 190-200 great pure 3 point shots role playing 3 point shooters. The game was great for many reasons last night but I think the main thing it showed is a true secondary scoring option with some nba type role talent there
Sorry @InKembaITrust, it's Scrappy.
Just look at the comments in his wake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom