Two biggest keys for next year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Two biggest keys for next year

Reaction Score
I'd like to see us finish in the top third of our league.

Reaction Score
The biggest key for next year, full stop, is Jalen Adams coming back. I know it's not likely that he jumps after this year, but stranger things have happened, and if he goes we're in for another rough year. I don't put too much faith in 5th year transfers, though we have gotten relatively lucky with them in recent years. We're going to need some sort of switch to go on for Enoch/Durham/a recovering Diarra so that they're at least half decent center options. This board tends to just assume that freshman can step in and play right away, but outside of the top ten or fifteen ranked recruits and a few outliers that just doesn't happen. Not saying Polley or Carlton aren't going to be good players, but anyone thinking they're the solution to the frontcourt woes next year is delusional.

Reaction Score
The biggest key for next year, full stop, is Jalen Adams coming back. I know it's not likely that he jumps after this year, but stranger things have happened, and if he goes we're in for another rough year. I don't put too much faith in 5th year transfers, though we have gotten relatively lucky with them in recent years. We're going to need some sort of switch to go on for Enoch/Durham/a recovering Diarra so that they're at least half decent center options. This board tends to just assume that freshman can step in and play right away, but outside of the top ten or fifteen ranked recruits and a few outliers that just doesn't happen. Not saying Polley or Carlton aren't going to be good players, but anyone thinking they're the solution to the frontcourt woes next year is delusional.
I agree on Jalen. Very hopeful as I think he would be good enough to have a chance at being an All-American and his game is improved but not totally there.
One point I would disagree is I love 5th year transfers. Kromah and Shonn Miller were absolutely rock solid in their roles for us and Gibbs would have been also if he played the two exclusively.

Whatever happens don't bank the scholarships. Concerned Gilbert and Diarra will be injury prone for their careers (esp 'Rique who I love), hope to be wrong. Absolutely have to have a 5th year big with rebounding acumen in my opinion.

Would love to add Shawn Olden from Juco at the 2 and a 5th year big.

Reaction Score
I agree on Jalen. Very hopeful as I think he would be good enough to have a chance at being an All-American and his game is improved but not totally there.
One point I would disagree is I love 5th year transfers. Kromah and Shonn Miller were absolutely rock solid in their roles for us and Gibbs would have been also if he played the two exclusively.

Whatever happens don't bank the scholarships. Concerned Gilbert and Diarra will be injury prone for their careers (esp 'Rique who I love), hope to be wrong. Absolutely have to have a 5th year big with rebounding acumen in my opinion.

I think I came across too strongly against 5th years, as I agree with everything in your post. I think we definitely need one for next year, I'd just rather not keep papering over the cracks in our front court with one and dones. Definitely think we shouldn't bank the scholarships either.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Whatever happens don't bank the scholarships.
I disagree with this. If we strike out on Olden, and any postgrad wings, and any late reclassification guys or decommits, then I'd much rather see us bank the scholarship rather than go for a Lubin-style reach

I agree with this. I want two guys who I know for a fact can come in and play college minutes next year.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There really is only one key for next year
Adams must come back for his Junior year.
We won a NC with AO (how good was he w/o Kemba )and even freshman Brimsh st the 5
Everyone else instantly become better if JA returns.
Without him next year is a struggle again.

yup that is everything.

We won 14 with Brimah and Phil Nolan. I worry not a lick about the 5 spot on an Ollie team. I constantly worry about JA being back. That is EVERYTHING.

Reaction Score
yup that is everything.

We won 14 with Brimah and Phil Nolan. I worry not a lick about the 5 spot on an Ollie team. I constantly worry about JA being back. That is EVERYTHING.

JA back and a bunch of healthy bodies will work. 5 good players on the court at the same time is fine the 5 is now only a luxury for those like UK and a coupe of others. Lots of really good teams out there with 3 guards, a 6'6 and a 6'7 guy out there winning lots of games. Would I prefer a solid true 5, hell yeah but you can now win without it.

Reaction Score
Who ever is on the team next year I hope they are better prepared to start the season. Our guys have really come together but there was no excuse for this year's start.

Reaction Score
You forgot we need a new Strength and Conditioning coach. :rolleyes:

This is a joke, right? One has to wonder, with all of these injuries, if lack of proper conditioning is partially, if not greatly to blame. Being down to 6 players is not normal at all, and in fact is an anomoly. It does not happen often at all.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
This is a joke, right? One has to wonder, with all of these injuries, if lack of proper conditioning is partially, if not greatly to blame.
If everybody was pulling the same hamstring, then you'd have to wonder. Given that we've had 5 different injuries to 5 different body parts, only the very dumb would be wondering.

Reaction Score
I disagree with this. If we strike out on Olden, and any postgrad wings, and any late reclassification guys or decommits, then I'd much rather see us bank the scholarship rather than go for a Lubin-style reach

I agree with this. I want two guys who I know for a fact can come in and play college minutes next year.
yes for sure - no reaches. Plenty of post grads and jucos if we can't get a guy to reclassify.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom