Twitter and Big East Films | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Twitter and Big East Films

Reaction Score
The dumbest thing about all of this is that Goodman, a man whose career is based on making antagonistic and contrarian statements in order to generate clicks, did not have the foresight to understand that a) his messages would go public, and b) this would all drive a ton of interest in what was otherwise a very niche video. The sheer stupidity is incredible.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Here's a tip: if a professional attorney chimed in on something like this (one did) it's a good idea to defer to his opinion.
Here’s a tip, read what you’re responding to all the way before trying to be a smart alec.

I did defer to his opinion, he did end up agreeing with what I was saying if it’s true, I also followed up with a question.

So not sure what you read.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Here’s a tip, read what you’re responding to all the way before trying to be a smart alec.

I did defer to his opinion, he did end up agreeing with what I was saying if it’s true, I also followed up with a question.

So not sure what you read.
We may be referring to posts by different attorneys.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The dumbest thing about all of this is that Goodman, a man whose career is based on making antagonistic and contrarian statements in order to generate clicks, did not have the foresight to understand that a) his messages would go public, and b) this would all drive a ton of interest in what was otherwise a very niche video. The sheer stupidity is incredible.
wasn't that the point?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What makes a documentary fake? It could just be a bad documentary…especially if it was done by a college kid
Fake in the sense that it wasn't a big east product.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We may be referring to posts by different attorneys.
I was talking about the post I replied to in your quote.

If you’re talking about FriarJ I’m not sure how serious I could take someone who clearly just has an axe to grind with Cooley and doesn’t believe he deserves air to breathe, let alone a possible case to stand on.

Reaction Score
Would the person in charge of the production also be involved since they featured it in their doc? Genuine question.

It’s like if you sue someone on the job for a company the company takes a hit (unless the person was not acting out of negligence). But of course this is not the same dynamic here.
Only have a rudimentary knowledge of defamation and without knowing more hard to opine.

Reaction Score
Fake in the sense that it wasn't a big east product.
Sorry I thought your comment was about the doc being fake, not a real documentary. U can make a documentary about the big east without it being produced by the big east

They made a trademark mistake using the big east name the way they did

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Y’all not that important to hate. It’s just stupid.

And as expected you all had the whole series shut down ruining it for everybody else.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Warrior,

Big Ern is an attorney (and from what I can discern from many years on this board, a very accomplished one). He spelled out why puplic people in general (and Cooley specifically in this case) avoid lawsuits like the one you were discussing.

Even if Cooley could prove there were factors beyond the alleged affair, once it would get to court, a ton of dirty laundry would become public and there is no guarantee that Cooley would receive a favorable outcome outside of embarrassing himself, his family and likely the woman in question.

Reaction Score
I honestly wonder if Goodman would have cared if the first documentary that came out was on any other school but Providence. Guessing no.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
Warrior,

Big Ern is an attorney (and from what I can discern from many years on this board, a very accomplished one). He spelled out why puplic people in general (and Cooley specifically in this case) avoid lawsuits like the one you were discussing.

Even if Cooley could prove there were factors beyond the alleged affair, once it would get to court, a ton of dirty laundry would become public and there is no guarantee that Cooley would receive a favorable outcome outside of embarrassing himself, his family and likely the woman in question.
It's difficult for a public figure to win a libel / slander case in the US. Basically Cooley would have to prove that the dude that made the "documentary" acted with malice and knew the falsity of the statements (or acted with reckless disregard for the truth). That's not easy to prove.

Disclaimer - but I haven't thought about this junk since the 1997 bar exam so things may have changed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry I thought your comment was about the doc being fake, not a real documentary. U can make a documentary about the big east without it being produced by the big east

They made a trademark mistake using the big east name the way they did
Mistake implies that it was unintentional. I think they deliberately use the Big East name and wordmark so that it appeared to have been made by the conference. Many people thought that. I know I did.

Reaction Score
Mistake implies that it was unintentional. I think they deliberately use the Big East name and wordmark so that it appeared to have been made by the conference. Many people thought that. I know I did.
You might be correct but I doubt many college kids know much about trademark usage. They were talking about big east teams so used the name. Either way the kid has talent as a filmmaker

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Warrior,

Yeah I don’t think I argued against that. Said in my reply to NJHusky that it was a factor I didn’t think about. When it comes to law I’m definitely more on the discussion learning side of things so I like to hear the possibilities in situations like these.

Reaction Score
Part of the move to G'Town was "allegedly" to start a new chapter in a new place and put the past behind him in Providence and leave the demons behind. Why the hell would he bring a defamation case where lawyers are going rip open every facet of his personal life over the last 10 years which will be circulated everywhere? Hi Mrs. Cooley, I know you wanted to keep things quiet and sorry this is happening, but are you ready for your deposition?

You'd have to be crazy to open yourself to that. And if he's crazy enough to do it.. hopefully someone at the very highly regarded Georgetown Law School would be smart enough to advise him or someone in the athletic department not to.

Reaction Score
Goodman called mark Titus during filming of a podcast episode to “explain” why he said what he did to the doc producer.

Promo implies they’ll air Goodman’s response in the episode dropping tomorrow AM.

You just KNOW Goodman is gonna keep pouring gasoline on the fire he’s already burning in. And I am HERE FOR IT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom