Twelfth Team to the Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Twelfth Team to the Big East

Reaction Score
IMO Gonzaga will never happen because of the distance and related logistical difficulties and expense.
I think it will happen. The way conference realignment is shaping out, nothing is too far fetched anymore

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
ND and Zags not happening.The Zags because of travel, for them

Memphis? Good fit for hoops, but they're probably looking for a football home

Wichita St? Good basketball, will have geographic rivals

Dayton?

I just don't see any of those schools bringing more revenue to the conference, with the possible exception of Memphis

The Zags would bring big money, I can't imagine they want to travel that much. Although I suppose they could schedule like three games in one week out east

I like home and home, maybe we should just stay at 11

Reaction Score
UMass. The Big East needs a team in Massachusetts.

This is the only answer that makes sense. Plus it gives UCONN another big conference rivalry that will sell tickets.

This idea gets rejected by this board because there are too many chicken littles afraid UMASS might become too successful. PC fans hate it even more for the same reason. Too many cowards who don't understand rivalries should be nurtured not shunned.

Reaction Score
This is the only answer that makes sense. Plus it gives UCONN another big conference rivalry that will sell tickets.

This idea gets rejected by this board because there are too many chicken littles afraid UMASS might become too successful. PC fans hate it even more for the same reason. Too many cowards who don't understand rivalries should be nurtured not shunned.

Should Rhody be invited also?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I came here to tell you that it’s incredibly stupid to invite Gonzaga given how reliant they are on Mark Few for their success.

But then someone suggested UMass and I lost my train of thought.

The Boneyard is like 25 years old and that was one of the top 25 dumbest things I have ever read here. It should be sold as an NFT.

Reaction Score
I came here to tell you that it’s incredibly stupid to invite Gonzaga given how reliant they are on Mark Few for their success.

But then someone suggested UMass and I lost my train of thought.

The Boneyard is like 25 years old and that was one of the top 25 dumbest things I have ever read here. It should be sold as an NFT.

I love it when people call an idea dumb without explaining why or offering a better suggestion.

Your prefer some of the other ideas offered in this thread? How come you didn't call out Canisius or Memphis?

Only UMASS gets under your skin, perhaps because they are a rival.

Reaction Score
I love it when people call an idea dumb without explaining why or offering a better suggestion.

Your prefer some of the other ideas offered in this thread? How come you didn't call out Canisius or Memphis?

I saw Canisius and took that as sarcasm lol. Memphis would be good if they didn't have football. UMass could benefit from the Big East and eventually add value lol. But a Western Kentucky, VCU or Dayton wouldn't be bad in my opinion.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
UMass is a rival?
Unfortunately, yes…hockey and football…I would have to give my vote to Notre Dame for the logical pick, maybe the Bonnies as another option?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, yes…hockey and football…I would have to give my vote to Notre Dame for the logical pick, maybe the Bonnies as another option?
They really aren't a rival in either. A rivalry has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with what people care about - and nobody cares about UMass.

Reaction Score

UMASS at present, would be a lower level team in the NBE.

If you want New England, Vermont would be a better idea with their coach and the team's success in getting to the NCAA post-season tournament.

Putting the regional rivalry aside, any of Dayton or VCU gives teams with a track record of success and a better recruiting area. St. Bonaventure would be okay too.

Reaction Score
Surprised nobody has mentioned St. Louis. That’s the logical answer I think if we’re looking at realistic options.

Reaction Score
VCU - Another large public with $2 billion endowment, if that matters, and gets the B.E. in Richmond, Virginia. The A-10 keeps Richmond, nice city
St. Louis - A somewhat good travel partner for Creighton and great soccer program, great city
UMass or Temple - Large public with similar football issues

I think we need at least one more public U, if not more

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Didn't we just do this thread about a month ago? Why is a back? The Big East isn't expanding. There is nobody to add. If the P5 blow themselves up again then we can talk about it.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Because adding UMass does not raise the profile of our conference. The Big East is trying to bolster its brand on a national level, not weigh it down with poorly branded mid-majors. It’s pretty straightforward.

Reaction Score
Because adding UMass does not raise the profile of our conference. The Big East is trying to bolster its brand on a national level, not weigh it down with poorly branded mid-majors. It’s pretty straightforward.

Give UMASS a Big East upgrade and they would be quite capable of doing what Houston did with a cheaper AAC upgrade. They are also the state flagship of a state with twice CT's population. Done correctly expansion should be about TV market potential, and don't give me the old BS that people in MASS don't care about UMASS. I remember the 90's UMASS basketball mania in that state too well to buy that crap.

FOX will be funding any expansion, pretend you work for them and are in charge of picking the 12th team. Nobody beats UMASS's market potential and they are a known rival for UCONN. UMASS wins in a landslide.

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Give UMASS a Big East upgrade and they would be quite capable of doing what Houston did with a cheaper AAC upgrade. They are also the state flagship of a state with twice CT's population. Done correctly expansion should be about market potential.

FOX will be funding any expansion, pretend you work for them and are in charge of picking the 12th team. Nobody beats UMASS's market potential and they are a known rival for UCONN. UMASS wins in a landslide.
You are correct it should be about market potential. But the concept of market potential has changed since the 2010 realignment period. It is no longer about “market size” (how many people live in a geographic area the team is located) but about “brand size” (how many people nationally follow that brand).

Gonzaga (Notre Dame or Kansas, but that won’t happen) is the only brands with the market potential to boost the Big East profile. UConn vs Gonzaga is marketable as a national game for FOX people across the country tune in for. UConn vs UMass… not so much. Just like how UConn vs Houston didn’t excite very many people nationally (despite Houston being a good team). As a result, the TV deal ESPN gave the AAC was complete trash.

UConn has a strong brand, but we all saw what happens to that brand when it gets aligned with brands no one cares about. Let’s learn from that and not hope to repeat those mistakes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom