Turtle Jackson article. | The Boneyard

Turtle Jackson article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He was sort of a weird fit even as a recruit and it's probably better he go to Georgia right off the bat than spend two years here on the bench and then transferred.

(Link deleted.)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
He comes off as an incredible kid and I wish the best for him. It seems like he may have peaked early, but I hope that he just had a difficult time recovering from his torn up knee and that he reaches all his dreams.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Fox, now in his sixth season at Georgia, began watching Jackson’s games when Jackson was in the eighth grade. He talked with William and got to know Jackson’s mother, Lorry. And when he was able to talk to Jackson, he’d call and give Jackson pointers.

The phone calls didn’t stop when Jackson committed to UConn in February. He’d call after Jackson’s AAU games and tell him to take more shots, to lead.

“He never gave up on me and would say, ‘no matter where you go, I love you,’” Jackson said. “I really respect him for that.”

I found that interesting if for no other reason than it reminds us how hard coaches continue to recruit kids even after they verbal to us. Clearly any recruit who is happy they verbaled to UCONN (or any school) will probably tell other coaches to knock it off, but in this case it worked..

Reaction Score
Fox, now in his sixth season at Georgia, began watching Jackson’s games when Jackson was in the eighth grade. He talked with William and got to know Jackson’s mother, Lorry. And when he was able to talk to Jackson, he’d call and give Jackson pointers.

The phone calls didn’t stop when Jackson committed to UConn in February. He’d call after Jackson’s AAU games and tell him to take more shots, to lead.

“He never gave up on me and would say, ‘no matter where you go, I love you,’” Jackson said. “I really respect him for that.”

I found that interesting if for no other reason than it reminds us how hard coaches continue to recruit kids even after they verbal to us. Clearly any recruit who is happy they verbaled to UCONN (or any school) will probably tell other coaches to knock it off, but in this case it worked..

That this is accepted is either a relatively new phenomenon - in basketball at least, I know football is the wild west - or Calhoun got a lot of undeserved **** over the Wiggins/St. Johns deal.

caw

Reaction Score
That this is accepted is either a relatively new phenomenon - in basketball at least, I know football is the wild west - or Calhoun got a lot of undeserved **** over the Wiggins/St. Johns deal.

It wasn't unheard of, but Calhoun got a lot of attention because SJ fans made a big fuss over it. It's become much more the norm recently. How do you think UConn lost both Jackson and Ali (well partially at least with Ali).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I believe it was Lefty Driesell at Maryland (probably in the late '70's or early 80's) who said the best part of a recruit verbally to a school was you now knew who you were recruiting against.

Negative recruiting and recruiting verbals has been going on for a long time.

Reaction Score
He talked with William and got to know Jackson’s mother, Lorry. And when he was able to talk to Jackson, he’d call and give Jackson pointers.

“He never gave up on me and would say, ‘no matter where you go, I love you,’” Jackson said. “I really respect him for that.

Sounds like the kid made a good decision for himself. Good for him.

I assume the "when [Coach Fox] was able to talk to Jackson" qualifier refers more to NCAA rules than time constraints or the like, which makes me wonder again what good such rules serve. Is it such a bad thing if a coach or staff member develops a relationship with a local kid that extends beyond some arbitrary season or maximum face-to-face contacts level? The size of each staff is regulated, so it wouldn't create any national recruiting advantage. Meanwhile, the recruiter too dense to sense that more in-person contacts are unwanted and counterproductive won't last too long.

The potential upsides of more contact seem greater than the costs. Maybe Fox really did like Jackson, and maybe he'd have been willing to give Jackson and other locals more of his time if allowed. Maybe some high school basketball teams in Connecticut with a random star teammate would appreciate inadvertent face-to-face time with Kevin Ollie and staff? And maybe local teams should have even more advantages in the recruiting process. It'd marginally decrease the influence of even more unsavory types than your typical scumbag coach, and probably help out a few student-ahletes academic wise too once they make it to college.

Reaction Score
I believe it was Lefty Driesell at Maryland (probably in the late '70's or early 80's) who said the best part of a recruit verbally to a school was you now knew who you were recruiting against.

Negative recruiting and recruiting verbals has been going on for a long time.
And then you have Calimari telling recruits that Lou Carnsecca was on the verge of dying from cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom