Turnovers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Turnovers

Reaction Score
To expand on Bigboote‘s post above - I have shared many times my belief that stats by themselves, out of context, mean little. Here is my take on Muhl’s 9 assists vs. 6 TOs. She could have had more than 9 assists and less than 6 TOs very easily but the stats are the stats and are legitimate. She had more than a couple of passes to open shooters or to the post that weren’t converted, purely part of the game and a direct product of the # of assists depends on others scoring; Muhl has been the recipient on both ends, players being on fire and converting and players missing open opportunities, it pretty much balances out over the course of a season.
Now the TOs, as Bigboote shared, 3 of the 6 IMO were very much earned by bad judgement or poor execution; 3 others were not necessarily poor guard play, again, IMO. Here you go -
First was very early in the game when Dorka had good low position slightly on the left side and Muhl fed her, instead of holding position hard and meeting the pass, Dorka backed up to the right, away from the ball, allowing help defense to come down and get in the play. In addition Dorka reached for the pass with only her left hand and it resulted in a steal.
Then twice Muhl disconnected with players on reads, once where she thought Lopez-Senechal was going to drift out to the 3 point line, she didn’t and the Muhl pass sailed out of bounds; similarly, later in the game Griffin was wide open in the left corner and Muhl thought she was going to go the basket but she stayed in the corner for the uncontested 3; again, the pass flew out of bounds. Neither of those TOs were anyone‘s “fault“ per se, just players being on different pages, if you will.

Reaction Score
Could cut a few if the "bigs" would just keep the ball above their heads on rebounds.

Reaction Score
Once Azzi is back you will see a decrease because she is the secondary passer on the team and it will mean less emphasis on everyone else trying to make plays. She is also a catch and shoot player and a create off the bounce player so that eliminates the need for an extra pass.

Reaction Score
To cut down on TOs we must know when to pull the ball out on fast breaks. It seems to me we get the fast break going and the defense is getting back then we force it and try to score and the ball goes out of bounds, is stolen, or the defense makes a play to get the ball. That alone will cut down on TOs. One other point. Having different lineups and players not familiar with each other and playing out of position is another cause for TO's. To many times we are trying to force a play instead of paying attention of whats going on around us. Last nite against a team that we were far superior then and make 17 TOs is not good. We had the game in the bag and doing things we most likely wouldnt have done against a really good team. 5 of those turnovers were by non starters and 6 by Nika. The 17 is a number that can be fixed. When Caroline and Azzi are back in the lineup we will have players who have experience playing with each other and I would expect the TOs to be less.
Also try making bounce passes to teammates, unless to a post who has sealed off their defender

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The reality is the high turnover rate is due to injuries and an inconsistent line up. The players are trying to do too much with unfamiliar lineups.

The starting 5 at the beginning of the season was Nika, Azzi, Lou, Dorka and Aaliyah. Aubrey and Caroline came of the bench for a solid 7 player rotation. The team was on fire.

Then things changed with Azzi going down. It has been a constant revolving door for the starting 5 since then. The only player who has not missed a game has been Aaliyah, I think. And there has not been a consistent sub pattern. Not to disparage any player, but having Ayanna, Amari and Ines play significant minutes was never the plan. I will say all three have played well in difficult circumstances.

The smooth, impressive flow from the start of the season was gone. Those subtile cues, refered to as team chemistry, disappeared. Nika didn't look, or so it seemed, when she passed the ball. She knew who was there and exactly were that player would be on the court. Every starter knew were the others were at any given moment in the game.

CD referred to this right after the game as did Dorka. The team knows what they have to work on and correct.

With Azzi's return and some practice time, we will see the season starting 5 do their thing again. And hopefully Caroline comes back soon to fill her role.

And Geno's healthy return will also help stabilize things.

Reaction Score
Relax! Relax!
The secret formula for this year's team is the tempo, both offensively and defensively. And Nika is the conductor/maestro.
Let's just deal with it. Basketball doesn't have to be pretty to be effective. In fact, basketball can be pretty in its ugliness. Don't forget you can totally throw off an opponent by getting them to play faster than they want to. There's an entire philosophy about this.
Got 30 minutes: watch the ESPN 30 for 30- Guru of Go- about Paul Westhead's (a Philly guy, Geno knows) LMU team of the early 90's. Particularly pertinent with the film's coverage of the death of Hank Gathers on the court in Portland.
What do we want, the methodical boredom like the Georgia Tech game last year? (sorry for that reminder)
Of course we don't want turnovers. Who doesn't know that? BUT WE WANT TEMPO!!! Embrace it, give it a hug. "Sit back and watch", like Magic said before the '81 finals. (I think)
But we continue to implement a double high post and a long set-up period. Where is the fast pace you mention??
Many of the turnovers are just poor passes into a well-covered player or walks. If they were part of a fast break worse could happen but also a basket reward. Our first quarter last night was a grammar school level of basketball and difficult to watch as was the last quarter when we were outscored by a very poor team. The men play at a much high pace and turn the ball over much less. Many of our passes are soft or bounce passes easily read. Where is the coaching to improve this problem which has been with the current team for a long time now.

This team is focused on only Nika bringing up the ball, everything runs through her. It might help to have others bring up the ball from time to time, be less predictable and occasionally drive to the hoop as was done a few times but could be done much more with a good strong finish to the hoop.

One apparent weakness is the poor finishes of some players and a lack of lift on putbacks that some just average opponents are blocking. I heard many raves about dunking by one player early in the season, but she is getting blocked on put backs by 6' average players. We need to fight through this and finish with a hoop then go to the foul line.
To be considered a top team our standard of play needs to improve IMO. Hope that happens soon.

Reaction Score
Could cut a few if the "bigs" would just keep the ball above their heads on rebounds.
Right on the money! Dorka often brings the ball immediately down to waist height where its available to be stolen or tied up. Sometimes she keeps it high and pass quickly from that location, better outcome will happen when she does.

Reaction Score
But we continue to implement a double high post and a long set-up period. Where is the fast pace you mention??
Many of the turnovers are just poor passes into a well-covered player or walks. If they were part of a fast break worse could happen but also a basket reward. Our first quarter last night was a grammar school level of basketball and difficult to watch as was the last quarter when we were outscored by a very poor team. The men play at a much high pace and turn the ball over much less. Many of our passes are soft or bounce passes easily read. Where is the coaching to improve this problem which has been with the current team for a long time now.

This team is focused on only Nika bringing up the ball, everything runs through her. It might help to have others bring up the ball from time to time, be less predictable and occasionally drive to the hoop as was done a few times but could be done much more with a good strong finish to the hoop.

One apparent weakness is the poor finishes of some players and a lack of lift on putbacks that some just average opponents are blocking. I heard many raves about dunking by one player early in the season, but she is getting blocked on put backs by 6' average players. We need to fight through this and finish with a hoop then go to the foul line.
To be considered a top team our standard of play needs to improve IMO. Hope that happens soon.
I like your insight! My comments are a little more general or macro.
I HATE handoffs. #1 you're bringing a defender with you to create a possible double team, #2 it's the exact opposite of spacing. Why can't they achieve the same thing with a simple entry pass.
If you've ever seen any of my posts, you'd know that I am not a fan of Geno's passing game. I think it bogs down against bigger, stronger opponents, the kind you find in the Final 4. (SC, AZ) I don't like it intellectually or aesthetically, but "dribble-drive-pitch" is better, and proven over decades to be really hard to stop. (because players cannot stop dribblers from penetrating. MS level all the way to the Pros)
I agree about jumping. Surprised AP can't just rise up and score. BTW- hope this isn't controversial- women can't jump. (except Gabby)

Reaction Score
We play at a fast pace pushing the ball down the court. So, there will always be a certain amount of traveling calls and poor passes. The TOs that need to stop are the ones based on poor decisions. Nika needs to stop trying to make the sexiest pass and just find the safest pass. Assist records are nice but not at the expense of too many TOs. In hockey, assists are credited to the player who passed the puck to the player who passed the puck to the goal scorer. That is the split second mentality need by a point guard.

Reaction Score
Turnovers are caused by not playing smart, being focused. Watching the games, I see a group that doesn't seem comfortable running the offense. Defensively, there are times when they are lax. It's basic bball to call out for HELP when you get beat by your opponent. And, as another poster stated, on rebounds, the ball is brought low for the opponent to contest/hold up. I was taught to keep it high, and if moved low, hold tight with both elbows out for maximum leverage.

UCONN's offense is movement, precision, intuition. Maybe there have been too many line-up changes for this to stick? BUT...you practice this every day. Whether someone else is in there, the offense is the same. Regardless, everything boils down to playing smart. Your team may not have the best talent; if you play smart and grind it out, you'll prevail.

17+ turnovers against another elite team isn't going to get the job done. They need to be around 10 or less.

Reaction Score
There are a few factors that contribute to turnovers.
1. Pressure and smart defense from the opponent.
2. Poor passing / lack of skill of passer
3. Lack of skills of the receiver
4. Poor communication, where the receiver is not where the passer thinks they should be. Happens when lineups are changing and players find themselves in unfamiliar roles.
5. Physical fatigue where passer or receiver does not perform like they would when not tired
6. Mental fatigue where passer imagines the receiver can perform miracles (e.g., run faster, jump higher, overcome double-teams). Maybe haste falls under this category too.
7. High risk/high reward style of play.
8. …I am sure you can come up with more reasons… like feeling an urge to pass to the opposing team’s coach!

As Geno said, this is not a problem he has had before. I sure hope the team figures out how to make progress.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
There are a few factors that contribute to turnovers.
1. Pressure and smart defense from the opponent.
2. Poor passing / lack of skill of passer
3. Lack of skills of the receiver
4. Poor communication, where the receiver is not where the passer thinks they should be. Happens when lineups are changing and players find themselves in unfamiliar roles.
5. Physical fatigue where passer or receiver does not perform like they would when not tired
6. Mental fatigue where passer imagines the receiver can perform miracles (e.g., run faster, jump higher, overcome double-teams). Maybe haste falls under this category too.
7. High risk/high reward style of play.
8. …I am sure you can come up with more reasons… like feeling an urge to pass to the opposing team’s coach!

As Geno said, this is not a problem he has had before. I sure hope the team figures out how to make progress.
Agree on all points, Geno, self admittedly is going soft when Azzi gets back and we are up to 10 players again.

I would like to see him go Old School on Nika as he has with previous point guard’s.

“Nika, if anyone on the floor makes a mistake it is your fault…”

Have her be accountable and help her teammates regain focus and value the ball again…

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Agree on all points, Geno, self admittedly is going soft when Azzi gets back and we are up to 10 players again.

I would like to see him go Old School on Nika as he has with previous point guard’s.

“Nika, if anyone on the floor makes a mistake it is your fault…”

Have her be accountable and help her teammates regain focus and value the ball again…
I believe that he already stated that to her last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom