Turnovers | The Boneyard

Turnovers

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
To cut down on TOs we must know when to pull the ball out on fast breaks. It seems to me we get the fast break going and the defense is getting back then we force it and try to score and the ball goes out of bounds, is stolen, or the defense makes a play to get the ball. That alone will cut down on TOs. One other point. Having different lineups and players not familiar with each other and playing out of position is another cause for TO's. To many times we are trying to force a play instead of paying attention of whats going on around us. Last nite against a team that we were far superior then and make 17 TOs is not good. We had the game in the bag and doing things we most likely wouldnt have done against a really good team. 5 of those turnovers were by non starters and 6 by Nika. The 17 is a number that can be fixed. When Caroline and Azzi are back in the lineup we will have players who have experience playing with each other and I would expect the TOs to be less.

Reaction Score
Your point of knowing when to pull the ball out on fast breaks will be even more important during the playoffs when our opportunities are reduced by the better, quicker teams. Then the offense needs to say in motion. The worst TO'ers have been when some players stand around and Niki and others try to make the perfect pass. Usually leds to a steal and layup by the opposition.

Reaction Score
The turnovers will stop when the players stop turning the ball over. My solution is, concentration!!! The turnovers are happening because they are reacting instead of concentrating. I realize it's a fast game, but they are experienced and should be able to think and act at the same time. That's my opinion. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Relax! Relax!
The secret formula for this year's team is the tempo, both offensively and defensively. And Nika is the conductor/maestro.
Let's just deal with it. Basketball doesn't have to be pretty to be effective. In fact, basketball can be pretty in its ugliness. Don't forget you can totally throw off an opponent by getting them to play faster than they want to. There's an entire philosophy about this.
Got 30 minutes: watch the ESPN 30 for 30- Guru of Go- about Paul Westhead's (a Philly guy, Geno knows) LMU team of the early 90's. Particularly pertinent with the film's coverage of the death of Hank Gathers on the court in Portland.
What do we want, the methodical boredom like the Georgia Tech game last year? (sorry for that reminder)
Of course we don't want turnovers. Who doesn't know that? BUT WE WANT TEMPO!!! Embrace it, give it a hug. "Sit back and watch", like Magic said before the '81 finals. (I think)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The ESPN box score shows 17 TOs

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Here is an updated table through Xavier that shows minutes played per turnover. The table gives a better perspective about how well the players are taking care of the ball.

Nika had 6 turnovers against Xavier, but her overall turnover rate is not that bad given how much she has the ball in her hands. Yes, you can get a turnover w/o the ball (moving screen on offense), but Nika does not have that problem.

Kudos to Dorka for taking care of the ball. She plays in the crowded paint and sets lots of screens and still leads the team in average minutes played per turnover.

Screenshot 2023-01-04 091742.png

Reaction Score
Something tells me that once Azzi gets back on the court, the rate of turnovers will decline precipitously......
Of course, of course, of course.
"Next man up" means the next man steps in when needed and the group forges ahead full-force. That's this team's mantra.
The ref is rolling the ball out there and UConn is looking at the other team and saying, I don't even know who suited up today, I can't keep up with that, but see if you can keep up with us. Seems like these BE teams cannot.
Players are getting better!! Every last one of them!
Funny how people are scared of "up-tempo". It revolutionized the game, back in the late 50's, early 60's.

Reaction Score
Turnovers must cost Geno agita and hair loss besides lots of frustration. I guess that you can lead them to water but you cannot make them drink.

Reaction Score
To cut most of the turnovers the team needs to be whole again with a somewhat consisting starting five... like before Azzi went down.

@Charliebball looked up and you nailed it.
Azzi rarely turns the ball over and makes the right cut in most situations ...........miraculously, Nika's assist total should hit the teens again upon Azzi's return too......

Reaction Score
Turnovers must cost Geno agita and hair loss besides lots of frustration. I guess that you can lead them to water but you cannot make them drink.
Bah!!
Human beings learn by making mistakes. Basketball is a physical game with 10 bodies moving in a small space. Look at the assist to made basket statistic. UConn players look for each other and we're playing fast. You are going to make mistakes.
Other stats to look for: opponents turnovers- again a result of the game's tempo, including defense's pressure, shot attempts by UConn and shot attempts compared to the opponent's- tempo creates more shot attempts/ probably a very good thing considering UConn's shooting percentages.
Analogy: I'm a MS teacher. I want my students not to talk. I go all out to solve this problem. Oops- I create a classroom in which the students are not engaged. They don't like the teacher and/or the content. They are disengaged. I don't want that! I want kids to love my class and school in general. Be careful what you wish for.
IMO Geno loves the tempo and intensity of his players. Turnovers will take care of themselves.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Three of Nika's turnovers last night were due to her and the pass recipient not being on the same page. It seems that there have been an awful lot of those (not just Nika) this year, and I don't remember that in years past. That definitely goes with the multiple lineups there have been.

They had been getting better about forcing passes along paths that just aren't there the past few games, but that cam back last night. I think they're getting it. Nika got caught once last night dribbling into three defenders. She did that a lot last year, but that's the first time I remember it happening in quite some time. Again, the needle is pointing in the right direction.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I asked about this after the Butler game and I saw the same thing yesterday.
While watching the game and live stats simultaneously, I noticed that there was a held ball between Dorka and a Xavier player. The possession arrow was in the favor of Xavier. The live stats recorded it as a TO on Dorka and added it to her Box Score line. I don't know if it was changed later but it there at the time.
Are held balls considered a turnover, especially if no one actually has possession before the tie up?
BOTOH, I guess I could review the official play by play to see...

Reaction Score
Here is an updated table through Xavier that shows minutes played per turnover. The table gives a better perspective about how well the players are taking care of the ball.

Nika had 6 turnovers against Xavier, but her overall turnover rate is not that bad given how much she has the ball in her hands. Yes, you can get a turnover w/o the ball (moving screen on offense), but Nika does not have that problem.

Kudos to Dorka for taking care of the ball. She plays in the crowded paint and sets lots of screens and still leads the team in average minutes played per turnover.

View attachment 82745
This table without context of watching the game does nothing for me. A lot of turnovers are allocated to the player catching the ball when the guard throws it in even though there’s a double team easily viewable. Culmo points it out a lot in the context of watch8ng the game. The posts (Dorka, Aaliyah) are back to the basket, they cannot see the double team. The point guard throws it in anyway when they are face to the basket and can see a double team. I suspect 2-3 turnovers per game are allocated to the post on this scenario when it should be the guard throwing it in. This table alone doesn’t give that context, but it sure is interesting. Thanks for posting

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
UConn vs. Xavier - Women's College Basketball Box Score - January 5, 2023 | ESPN Heres the link I have. I read 22 TOs in some posts and originally posted 22 then I read the ESPN board and saw 17 and thats what I used. I posted the link above.
I clicked on the link in your message (above) and it took me to an ESPN page which shows (guess what) 22 turnovers. That is also what the ESPN box score and team stats show as of now (Friday morning). I suspect that the box score was updated to correct an error after you looked at it.

Reaction Score
I asked about this after the Butler game and I saw the same thing yesterday.
While watching the game and live stats simultaneously, I noticed that there was a held ball between Dorka and a Xavier player. The possession arrow was in the favor of Xavier. The live stats recorded it as a TO on Dorka and added it to her Box Score line. I don't know if it was changed later but it there at the time.
Are held balls considered a turnover, especially if no one actually has possession before the tie up?
BOTOH, I guess I could review the official play by play to see...
Of course. If a "turnover" caused the change of possession.
For example, an offensive rebound, then held ball, should not be considered a turnover IMO.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I clicked on the link in your message (above) and it took me to an ESPN page which shows (guess what) 22 turnovers. That is also what the ESPN box score and team stats show as of now (Friday morning). I suspect that the box score was updated to correct an error after you looked at it.
UConn Huskies
I just copied this from what Im looking at on the ESPN board. They mustve updated this as Ive had this up since last nite
UConn Huskies

FG3PTFTOREBDREBREBASTSTLBLKTOPFPTS
1-20-02-2235312004
7-110-12-3413172143016
4-91-210-114480302119
5-133-80-01340001113
2-41-30-0134910615
FG3PTFTOREBDREBREBASTSTLBLKTOPFPTS
1-30-01-2033110233
1-30-10-0033202332
1-21-12-2011200015
22-476-1617-201337501978171067