Tunes you digging right now | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tunes you digging right now

Reaction Score
Was aware of, but especially over quarantine I got into Phoebe Bridgers. She blew up over the last year, especially in the way she's been able to parlay social distancing into creative ways to get booked on various late night shows and well-trafficked online productions, such as Tiny Desk, attached to the left.

If II had to pick a song of hers I like the most, I'd probably go with:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Was aware of, but especially over quarantine I got into Phoebe Bridgers.
I'd heard the name a while ago, but lately she's been popping up on one of my Pandora stations. She's involved in several group projects as well. She did a team up w/ Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus, and another thing w/ Conor Oberst.

This is her song that jumps out at me the most. This live version has a bit more oomph than the studio version. As an aside, KEXP has a bunch of nice mini concerts w/ indie musicians, a bit like Tiny Desk.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Speaking of KEXP...

This song is featured prominently in a movie I'd seen several times, but it didn't really sink in, until one time it did. Then it was like "whoa, what is that?" Searched thru the end credits, wasn't obvious so I had to do trial and error. Figured it out eventually. Got kind of obsessed w/ the band. Really like most of their songs, but this is the one that drew me in.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I discovered Fickle Friends maybe not quite a year ago, although they'd been around for a while before that. Most of their stuff is good, several songs I really like. They've been busy making new music during the covid stuff. Just listened to several of them tonight, liking what I'm hearing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, not the song I posted.

This one kinda sounds like it's a Black Crowes tune w/ a female vocalist.

I've liked pretty much all of their songs I've heard. "Mona Lisa" is pretty sweet, with an...interesting video. "Lemon Scent" is another good one.

I liked that one. This is a pretty cool band. Been around a lone time yet don't seem to have been "discovered". This one has a definite Red Hot Chili Peppers feel to me. Evidently this was their breakthrough song. Very LA. Cover of Heart Shaped Box is very good.

Dead Sara - Weatherman - YouTube

Reaction Score
Also know Van Morrison is controversial but man, some of his songs just blow me away

Another mind boggling Van song.....this one was a real staple back in the days of "free form" FM radio in the 70's:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Last few days digging on this band for now.
I basically only knew their eponymous hit until I came across "Spirit of Eden." I think I'm going to listen to it again today, it's been awhile. Good stuff, thanks.

Reaction Score
I'm at the age where I have no idea how well known these guys are....but I just found them and have had them on repeat for a couple weeks.

Black Pumas

I'm probably right there with you on age. I discovered them about 6 months ago and I can not go a week without listing to their album. ;)

Reaction Score
I basically only knew their eponymous hit until I came across "Spirit of Eden." I think I'm going to listen to it again today, it's been awhile. Good stuff, thanks.
Any time, yes it's been a while for me too listing to them. I have so much music archived I tend to forget what I have. Lol.
By the way! All their stuff is really good.

Reaction Score
Part you are on point. Don't know what happened. Did check out Durand Jones

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Popped this oldie in the car player earlier. Always loved the engineering on this track. Wish he'd release something new after 20 years.

Reaction Score
Popped this oldie in the car player earlier. Always loved the engineering on this track. Wish he'd release something new after 20 years.

Aww Nice! I will have to listen to this one. ( been a long time) If he has not done anything up to know forget it. But would be a treat if he did. Very talented. (Karl Wallinger) great album!

Reaction Score
Tremendous cover. Best appreciated at "11" in a car with a good stereo:

Leo Kottke is one of my favorite "check him out whenever he is in the area" shows. His solo show at the Ridgefield Playhouse was the the first concert my wife and I went together when we were first dating.

Him and Gordon make a great pair, too. Their first album, Clone, came out when I was in high school and Phish was a big influence on my band at the time. However, this was during one of Phish hiatuses, so we ate up any Phish side projects: Clone being my favorite still to this date. Two very talented musicians and both with fun, off-beat humor.

Thanks for the post, @8893! It inspired me to check out his tour dates. He's playing the Northeast this autumn, including a show in Hartford and Old Saybrook. If any of you live near Fall River and haven't been to the Narrows Center for the Arts, it's an awesome venue. I just picked up two tickets for his Sunday night show in Mamaroneck, NY, just a half hour from us. I last saw Kottke in Beacon, NY back in 2015 at the new Towne Crier Cafe, so good to see he's still touring at 76!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
What genre would people say this is? It's really quite a mix of sounds going on there.
clearly, it's deepska/reggaeton/techno, with a bit of rock and roll, funk, new wave, punk, ragtime, scratch, and incontinent cat noises tossed in. in other words, it falls plainly in the center of the 'never want to hear that again' spectrum.
sorry bud, but you did ask. lol.
polka rules, and u can dance to it, which u can't do with that nuclear waste tune u put up. lol 2x.

get jiggy with it.

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
New release from the Counting Crows that sounds like it could have been on August and Everything After; he’s a bit of freak himself but I still love this guy’s voice:

Good song. Thanks for that. I loved August & Everything After, their cover of Big Yellow Taxi and their cover of Carmelita. Don Imus got me into Carmelita.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom