Tulsa Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tulsa Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great game for Anna but one game does a season make. Some have referred to this as her breakout game. Let’s hope it continues especially with Tennessee, Oregon, and south carolina to come. a word of caution. Remember Aubreys 25 point game, that was suppose to be her breakout game. She hasn’t done a lot since.
Speaking of Aubrey, she had one of her very best games today. Her 11 pts were nice, but she was relentless on defense forcing turnovers, bad shots and just being an all-around pest to Tulsa.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Very good game with nothing to really complain about...except...
I was kinda bummed that because it was such a blowout AND the need for others to be on the court, that Liv didn't get to stay in the game and work on her offense, especially working down low. Tulsa's 00 (Elliott??) had enough size to make Liv work on both ends of the court and more work could always help.

But other than that, GREAT GAME on the home court.

Reaction Score
but Evina got cropped out. :mad:

Hope there is another angle. Expecting some detailed scouting by Evina this week.

1579466833966.png

Reaction Score
Speaking of Aubrey, she had one of her very best games today. Her 11 pts were nice, but she was relentless on defense forcing turnovers, bad shots and just being an all-around pest to Tulsa.

Could not have said it any better. Aubrey played a really effective game today (although she needs to work on her FT's). You can see allot of people didn't even realize that Aubrey scored 11 points today. But as you said, her defensive pressure was incredible. If it wasn't for the truly great game by Anna Makurat today, Aubrey's game would have gotten more notice. (PS - Molly's defensive game today was also very good).

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
A few comments from my perch in Section 220:

The defensive effort was superlative. Very aggressive yet amazingly, only committed three fouls! Geno had them press a bit to start the game, which struck me as a way of speeding up the tempo. Also did some trapping and double-teaming. Played a 2-3 zone almost all of the second half, which allowed Tulsa a few more open looks and points than in their 11 point first half nightmare. Sometimes UConn would start in the zone and then switch to man in the same possession, very clever.

Geno went 8 deep in the first half and I think that the best hope for this team is to be able to do that in big games. That will allow them to play more pressure defense at selected times without having to play the starters the whole game.

They made a concerted effort to get it inside to Olivia early, with only limited success. Fades away a lot. I`m thinking that rather than posting up, for the time being she might be better off facing up and either taking a short range jumper or put it on the floor, one dribble and put it up. Think Gabby Williams. She draws fouls when she goes up strong but she hasn`t been attacking lately.

We are at risk for taking Megan for granted, she is that consistently good. Excellent effort today, one of four Huskies with at least 3 threes. Crystal very good also and lighting it up from three.

Fair to assume that Geno told Anna to be more aggressive and look to shoot/create more and told Aubrey to exert 110% effort on the defensive end. The offense picks up when Anna came in, and in addition to shooting her threes with confidence Anna made some beautiful takes to the hoop. The defense was at its best in the second quarter when Aubrey was flying around out there. Good effort by Molly as well.

The team certainly did not play down to the competition, but I kinda felt like the crowd did. IMHO it was a pretty quiet, unenergetic effort by the UConn faithful. Student section was sparsely filled, must not be back yet. Hope the fans bring their A game against Tennessee!

Nice halftime ceremony honoring the 1989-1990 team on the 30th anniversary of Gampel. Oh, by the way, my all-time fav Katie Lou was in the house, graciously posing for numerous pics, must be working out here for the time being. Hope she`s gotten past her assorted injuries!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Seeing MBR's pix made me think of the past when starters sat at the end of a wining game
Godawful offense
Total confusion
Katzenjammer kids

Not this afternoon
Perhaps the bench is actually more useful (then we give it credit for).

Reaction Score
There was very little to complain about in this game. I thought that everyone that came into the game did an excellent job. Hoping UCONN plays the same type of game Thursday.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A few comments from my perch in Section 220:

The defensive effort was superlative. Very aggressive yet amazingly, only committed three fouls! Geno had them press a bit to start the game, which struck me as a way of speeding up the tempo. Also did some trapping and double-teaming. Played a 2-3 zone almost all of the second half, which allowed Tulsa a few more open looks and points than in their 11 point first half nightmare. Sometimes UConn would start in the zone and then switch to man in the same possession, very clever.

Geno went 8 deep in the first half and I think that the best hope for this team is to be able to do that in big games. That will allow them to play more pressure defense at selected times without having to play the starters the whole game.

They made a concerted effort to get it inside to Olivia early, with only limited success. Fades away a lot. I`m thinking that rather than posting up, for the time being she might be better off facing up and either taking a short range jumper or put it on the floor, one dribble and put it up. Think Gabby Williams. She draws fouls when she goes up strong but she hasn`t been attacking lately.

We are at risk for taking Megan for granted, she is that consistently good. Excellent effort today, one of four Huskies with at least 3 threes. Crystal very good also and lighting it up from three.

Fair to assume that Geno told Anna to be more aggressive and look to shoot/create more and told Aubrey to exert 110% effort on the defensive end. The offense picks up when Anna came in, and in addition to shooting her threes with confidence Anna made some beautiful takes to the hoop. The defense was at its best in the second quarter when Aubrey was flying around out there. Good effort by Molly as well.

The team certainly did not play down to the competition, but I kinda felt like the crowd did. IMHO it was a pretty quiet, unenergetic effort by the UConn faithful. Student section was sparsely filled, must not be back yet. Hope the fans bring their A game against Tennessee!

Nice halftime ceremony honoring the 1989-1990 team on the 30th anniversary of Gampel. Oh, by the way, my all-time fav Katie Lou was in the house, graciously posing for numerous pics, must be working out here for the time being. Hope she`s gotten past her assorted injuries!
I don’t think Geno will go 8 deep in big games. However, being able to bring in the bench in AAC games and knowing they won’t be terrible allows Geno to rest the starters, give the freshmen more playing time, and reduces the risk of injury to key players. It’s a big deal

Reaction Score
I don’t think Geno will go 8 deep in big games. However, being able to bring in the bench in AAC games and knowing they won’t be terrible allows Geno to rest the starters, give the freshmen more playing time, and reduces the risk of injury to key players. It’s a big deal

I agree that Geno won't go 8 deep in the playoffs, but he will definitely go 7 deep (Evelyn and Molly won't see time, but absolutely Anna and Aubrey)

Reaction Score
Add In Very Good Game by Officials, let them play and game flowed, very enjoyable to watch.
Those three always have a good game together. The woman, in particular, is an excellent official,

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I found Geno's talk about being able to rest starters interesting. He centered it around Crystal, but he said he felt playing people constantly did not wear them down physically, but it was a mental strain - I have to be out here on the ball constantly. Me, I suspect it is a combination of both taking a toll.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I am a big Kyla fan but if players are awarded a start because of how well they play in practice. should not they be awarded when they play well in games. Anna plays better in games than Kyla but has not won a starting spot. Well, what do I know?

Reaction Score
I am a big Kyla fan but if players are awarded a start because of how well they play in practice. should not they be awarded when they play well in games. Anna plays better in games than Kyla but has not won a starting spot. Well, what do I know?
Ironically, Ana is also taller than Kyla. My seat is courtside; when they lined up pre-game, that was an obvious observation. She is taller, more athletic, a better shooter, rebounder, passer and ball handler. Of course, it doesn’t really matter whether she starts or not; when the game is close at the end, she will be on the court.

Reaction Score
Ironically, Ana is also taller than Kyla. My seat is courtside; when they lined up pre-game, that was an obvious observation. She is taller, more athletic, a better shooter, rebounder, passer and ball handler. Of course, it doesn’t really matter whether she starts or not; when the game is close at the end, she will be on the court.
Anna enters at 5 minute point at start and half and generally after that almost never leaves court, so while she officially isn’t a starter, it’s damn close. She is very much the sixth “man” and might well win that award in AAC this year. In big games I wish Geno would start her but...
When Meg sat, Anna took over game, as if to say, “no more passing, guess I have to do it myself.” She did pass up a late trey, charged to basket, and made a great assist to Aubrey. She explained that Geno told her at this point in the game it was okay to pass now.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
My reasoning is that if she started the offense would get going faster and she would have more time to make an impact on the game. Maybe if she started, the game would not be close at the end.;)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that the situation with Kyla and Anna today is similar to the one that existed between Caroline Doty and Bria Hartley when Caroline was a 5th year senior and Bria was a freshman. Caroline started, stayed in for a few minutes, and then Bria came in and played most of the game. That is what happened with Kyla and Anna today. Anna's minutes (even without starting) have been significantly higher than Kyla's in each of the last two games, and I would expect that to continue.

It's also possible that Geno thinks that Kyla will be less likely to make mistakes or misread the defense than Anna, so there is a benefit in letting Kyla play long enough to see what the opponent is doing. I thought that Kyla played well today in her limited minutes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Anna enters at 5 minute point at start and half and generally after that almost never leaves court, so while she officially isn’t a starter, it’s damn close. She is very much the sixth “man” and might well win that award in AAC this year. In big games I wish Geno would start her but...
When Meg sat, Anna took over game, as if to say, “no more passing, guess I have to do it myself.” She did pass up a late trey, charged to basket, and made a great assist to Aubrey. She explained that Geno told her at this point in the game it was okay to pass now.
To back up your point, Anna played 29 minutes today vs Kyla’s 17.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom