Tulsa Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Tulsa Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Tulsa game:
  • With students back on campus for the start of classes tomorrow, it had to be a good feeling for the Huskies to be home again at Gampel.
  • UConn’s offense is still a work in progress, but the Husky defense continues to put together some remarkable stretches. The first & second qtrs vs Tulsa were the 3rd & 4th time in 4 games when UConn held an opponent to 6 pts or less for a qtr. Liv played a great 1st qtr with 6 rbs, 2 steals and 1 block, while being an effective and intimidating presence in the paint. In the second qtr, Aubrey was everywhere. She reminds me of a giant, annoying spider. I love seeing UConn in a full court press with Aubrey at the point.
  • Anna played a really good all-around game that gives me hope she’s just about where she needs to be to earn back that 5th starter spot and make a big difference for this team. In the 4th qtr, you could just tell she was feeling it, knowing that anything she put up was going in. It reminded me just a little bit of Lou, who was in attendance at the game today.
  • Much better movement on offense today. There were few if any possessions in the half-court when the ball got stuck and players stood around watching.
  • Crystal continues to be the rock of this team, while Megan looked like the player who dazzled us all to start the season.
  • The Huskies need to carry this effort forward to the matchup with the LV’s on Thursday.

Reaction Score
5 Players in Double Figures (Walker, Dangerfield, Williams, Griffin, and Makurat). This is the type of balance that this team needs to succeed this season. 3 of the 5 starters scoring in double figures and 2 key players off of the bench scoring in double figures, as well. [Very Good Game from Anna Makurat and a good game as well from Aubrey Griffin)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe the best part of the entire game today was seeing the starters along with Touly & Evina on the bench in the 4th qtr thoroughly enjoying themselves while supporting their teammates who were putting an exclamation point on the game.

Reaction Score
1579460144089.png

Reaction Score
Fun to watch & needed given last week and upcoming TN.

Kudos to Anna for doing a much needed Jekyll & Hyde and playing an offensive role - finally. Still don't get this as she showed today she can drive to the basket and shoot, but virtually never does. Pleasant change, hope it lasts and happens again against higher skill level teams.

Kudos also to Evelyn for getting a big chunk of playing time and performing - from where I sat - well, especially in block-outs and defensive capacity.

Still a desperately thin team, good to see players step up. I continue to fear injuries to either Crystal or Megan which I think would pretty much end our season.

Reaction Score
Everyone played well. Molly and Aubrey were stout on defense. Anna...well, if she continues to play like that I may revise my opinion about how far this team goes. Like a parent with his kids, I claim not to have a favorite player but I admit to have a special feeling for her, much as I did for Lou. Skills aside, she is the smartest player on the court. She says “over thinks” and realizes she has to let her natural talent take over. Liv played well but Tulsa didn’t present any height to stop her. I saw times when Liv should have kicked out to an open 3 shooter but having the vision to see that will come.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Tulsa game:
  • With students back on campus for the start of classes tomorrow, it had to be a good feeling for the Huskies to be home again at Gampel.
  • UConn’s offense is still a work in progress, but the Husky defense continues to put together some remarkable stretches. The first & second qtrs vs Tulsa were the 3rd & 4th time in 4 games when UConn held an opponent to 6 pts or less for a qtr. Liv played a great 1st qtr with 6 rbs, 2 steals and 1 block, while being an effective and intimidating presence in the paint. In the second qtr, Aubrey was everywhere. She reminds me of a giant, annoying spider. I love seeing UConn in a full court press with Aubrey at the point.
  • Anna played a really good all-around game that gives me hope she’s just about where she needs to be to earn back that 5th starter spot and make a big difference for this team. In the 4th qtr, you could just tell she was feeling it, knowing that anything she put up was going in. It reminded me just a little bit of Lou, who was in attendance at the game today.
  • Much better movement on offense today. There were few if any possessions in the half-court when the ball got stuck and players stood around watching.
  • Crystal continues to be the rock of this team, while Megan looked like the player who dazzled us all to start the season.
  • The Huskies need to carry this effort forward to the matchup with the LV’s on Thursday.

Amen!!!

Reaction Score
Great game for the Boneyarders. Anna looked great, the bench got a lot of playing time, the score was nostalgic, even Geno appeared not only satisfied but a little happy. Going to the Tennessee game on Thursdayl and it's nice to know the ladies will be rested and had a great shot in the arm.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Add In Very Good Game by Officials, let them play and game flowed, very enjoyable to watch.

Glad you mentioned that. When the officials do their job, let the players play, and don't call any outrageous or "phantom" fouls like they did in the Memphis game, everyone enjoys the game, and the game is allowed to flow. The refs were invisible today. :)

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought Geno's answer about the need for a bench was very telling. In his opinion, the physical wear and tear are not the real issue for the starters. It is the mental fatigue that occurs if you cant trust the bench to get any production.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like seeing Evina and Touly get in on the fun :)

but Evina got cropped out. :mad:

Hope there is another angle. Expecting some detailed scouting by Evina this week.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I posted in another thread that this year I prefer tight games to blowouts, but I'll take this one! Context is everything -- sometimes you need a confidence & momentum booster. I re-watched both of the two previous games & in a lot of cases the ball just wasn't going in the hole; not a case of throwing up airballs, so this seemed like a return to offensive form. If anyone saw the pre-game on SNY -- Geno was talking about the kids feeling awful the last 2 games because they feared they weren't living up to the UConn tradition -- they shouldn't feel that way in any case, but I hoped this cheered them up a little. Tulsa was having a (typically?) bad shooting night but UConn team defense seemed outstanding to me -- both starters & bench.

Anna was something today. I felt like the starter players on the bench -- moments like these are women's bball's gift to fans. Channeled her idol DT this afternoon. Played fearless. Coach still starting Kyla, which is fine w/me -- but is showing a lot of confidence in Anna & giving her more & more minutes.

Megan was going back & forth from muscular finishes inside to very reliable 3 pt shooting.

CW hopefully getting back her confidence in her 3 pt shot -- 3/4. Continues to be really unlucky with her finishes -- this from one of the best finishers I've seen this year & last. Defense, rebounding still very good.

CD. She's a senior. She could get injured at any time. Enjoy every moment she's on the court. UConn so lucky to have her.

Olivia better than earlier but scoring is inconsistent. Good defense but scoring is sometimes hold your breath.

Bench played well, even if we discount Anna Mak. Molly played some good reliable point. Nice to see Odebayo get some rebounds. Didn't realize Aubrey got to double digits -- but good sub for Olivia. Both she and Aubrey need to be more reliable with the FTs. Even beyond their good play, best thing the bench did was rest the starters & keep attacking.

Reaction Score
Hip-Hip-Hooray for UCONN!
5 players in double figures. I was hoping for all to score.....Evelyn soon, I can feel it!
This game was so refreshing on so many levels.
Can’t wait until Tennessee on Thursday!
Keep the movement going!

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Little thought just strolled through my head. . . Did the kids get to spend time with the women who got the whole thing started? I'm hearing about how current kids don't know or care about those who laid the foundation of the house they now live in. Perhaps our girls got an up close personal look at their founders and found something to strive for, live up to, and represent.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen a good game like today for long long time.
Today is Anna's game she is just great, 21 pts, 6 rebs, 5 asts, 3 stls.
Great game for Anna but one game does a season make. Some have referred to this as her breakout game. Let’s hope it continues especially with Tennessee, Oregon, and south carolina to come. a word of caution. Remember Aubreys 25 point game, that was suppose to be her breakout game. She hasn’t done a lot since.

Reactions: JBK

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom