Tulsa Postgame Quotes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tulsa Postgame Quotes

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
36 to 15 foul shots. Excluding the SMU outlier, our conference opponents are taking over 100% more foul shots. You can’t compete under those circumstances.
Interestingly, at halftime we had taken more FT's. But we fouled shooters a ton in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
In all of our conferences losses our opponents have cumulatively taken over 100% more foul shots than us. If you don’t see a pattern, I can’t help you.
Chief what do you feel is the reason for this? I really do think we foul quite a bit but do get hosed a lot as well. Does the NCAA hate us this much? The refs hate Hurley?... or is it really because Jalen’s jersey is untucked?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Strangely enough, the officials aren’t preventing other teams from beating us.

Reaction Score
Yes the refs suck. But we have dumb fouls. Offensive charging fouls. And when you are losing we then have to foul to prolong the game.

We need to earn respect by winning.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is a coordinated conspiracy by various teams of officials to "job" UConn on foul calls.

I do believe that a team that plays a physical defense, sometimes desperately, with less talent in the paint, will commit more fouls.

Reaction Score
Aside from Jalen at the end of the game we simply do not attack on offense. Tulsa came down court looking to score. We went down court looking to successfully pass the ball around the perimeter. Why foul us out there.

Reaction Score
I think that the ejection was a bad call...

But the refs had repeatedly asked them to go to their respective corners...they had been jawing at each other (Hurley animatedly)...the officials didn't know how closer contact would evolve.

Ignore and push through officials at your own peril.

Reaction Score
UConn’s Hurley, Tulsa’s Haith ejected after confrontation ‘escalated by the officials’
“I’ve never seen anything like that,” Hurley told reporters after the game. “It was surreal, I would say.

"Watch what happened on TV. It’s very clear. I was talking to the official, and then I was engaged by someone on the other sideline. They said my name, in my direction, so I turned and looked [with] kind of a look of surprise.

"I’ve known Frank for a very long time — probably 15, 18, 20 years, back to when I was a high school coach and he recruited my players. I feel as though that situation escalated because of the officials and the way they handled the situation.”

Haith agreed.

“I don’t feel like it was to that level,” he said. “There was competitive conversation. I didn’t know the both of us got a first technical. I would have hoped it would have been handled a lot differently.”

“That was embarrassing,” Hurley added. “It’s embarrassing for the conference, for both me and Frank, and on the heels of last night, it’s not a good look for our league. It’s just very disappointing the way that thing was handled.”

Reaction Score
This reminds me of my kids complaining about their teachers. As I tell them, I don’t want to hear it because it doesn’t matter. The teacher controls the grade. Your job is to figure out what you need to do to get a good one.

Yea but what if the teacher's comment on your kids test came back "Try to do gooder next time"

Reaction Score
In all of our conferences losses our opponents have cumulatively taken over 100% more foul shots than us. If you don’t see a pattern, I can’t help you.

I see a pattern. We have no inside presence on offense where a lot of contact is initiated to get foul calls. Carlton is soft inside and can't make a power move, so he moves around and sets screens on the perimeter. Which makes us rely on outside shooting where there aren't a lot of fouls and FG% is lower, so then we are playing from behind and come the end of the game we have to keep fouling to extend the game and the other team gets to shoot a whole bunch of foul shots that skew the numbers.

C

Chief00

I see a pattern. We have no inside presence on offense where a lot of contact is initiated to get foul calls. Carlton is soft inside and can't make a power move, so he moves around and sets screens on the perimeter. Which makes us rely on outside shooting where there aren't a lot of fouls and FG% is lower, so then we are playing from behind and come the end of the game we have to keep fouling to extend the game and the other team gets to shoot a whole bunch of foul shots that skew the numbers.

Another reason we have played from behind is less points from the foul line. Being in the bonus changes the whole complexion of the game. The SMU game was a reverse of the normal trend in terms of fouls and look how that changed the entire game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This reminds me of my kids complaining about their teachers. As I tell them, I don’t want to hear it because it doesn’t matter. The teacher controls the grade. Your job is to figure out what you need to do to get a good one.
Or coaches and playing time, right? If you want more time use the time you have to be so productive your coach can't take you out.

Still, I think Hurley needs to reach an equilibrium with the refs. He won't reach it by silently getting abused by them. I doubt these monotone post game comments help his case either. Calhoun would work them on the court and quickly and efficiently get his message across in post game quotes. Not sure what the right model is for Hurley.

Reaction Score
Another reason we have played from behind is less points from the foul line. Being in the bonus changes the whole complexion of the game. The SMU game was a reverse of the normal trend in terms of fouls and look how that changed the entire game.

Less points from the foul line seems, as posted, to be a function of...

1...Huskies offensive game not relying on strong drives to the basket.

2...Husky bigs not being a major factor and thus not drawing as many fouls.

3...Huskies playing for perimeter shots won't draw the fouls that drives to the rim will.

4...On defense, Huskies are reaching, bumping...sometimes it seems in desperation. The UConn bigs are playing small and there is pressure to stop drives.

Reaction Score
Other teams have bigger, stronger, more physical and smarter players.

We chuck 3s all game, have no post offense, and 1 guy who can finish at the basket in Adams.

When you don't bring the action, you can't sit back and cry you don't get the whistle.
I cannot agree with you more. When things get tough, 3's go up and unfortunately no one can make them regularly even when wide open and set. The things snowball down hill from there. When Hurley gets his own guys, hopefully with some muscle, things will change. It always looks like our opponents are more mature physically.

Reaction Score
I also do not blame Hurley. I feel that UConn regularly gets mugged with no calls, but UConn touches the opponent and a foul is called.

Reaction Score
The referees are only going to get worse. Yes, it was bush league, but good lord. Do they think the league is sitting around going 'you know, what would be great for us is to have trash refs!'? There's something like literally 60% *fewer* officials than there were 15 years ago. Less people, less talent so this is what you're going to get. And people don't want to be refs because people are ffffing nuts. Coaches screaming at them, fans screaming about them, everyone screaming about them.

So the point is - it's going to get worse. You're not changing that. The AAC probably isn't gonna change that either. The ACC can't even change it. So you gotta deal with it. Crying into a crying towel every game isn't going to make it better. Yes - booting two guys in a game is bush league. Especially for that. But. Again. It's not why we lost!

We've committed 24+ fouls in something like 8 or 9 games this year. I'll bet we lost nearly all of those games.

Those happen when you lack the quickness, size and overall athleticism to cover guys. That comes from poor discipline. That comes from being totally non-competitive down low and being guard-focused because your bigs can't score the ball at all. That comes from guards having to pick up the slack everywhere.

Like this just allllll comes back to not having good enough big men. We're completely reliant as to whether we are hitting our threes or not. And if we're not, we don't have the bigs to get a put back. Or a rebound. Or even just a tip to help our guards have a shot at getting the ball for a second shot. We're literally in a position right now where you have to make the shot or we're done. Almost every time up the floor. When you're playing with that kind of margin for error, you get what we have.

Like I think to myself sometimes - to heck with say a Thabeet, Okafor or Voskhul on this team making a difference. I feel like you put a Jeff Adrien guy on this team and it'd be a totally different team completely. Just a *banger* who can defend, grab rebounds, clean up messes. We need a mop and bucket guy. Right now we just don't have that.

And again, it's year one of a rebuild. I think Gilbert's been fine for a first year guy. Ditto for Wilson. While he comes with his headaches, Vital has taken a step forward this year. Anything they can get out of literally anyone else on the roster should be seen as an achievement at this point. Carlton's balls need to drop. They might still, but there's an equal chance this is all he is. Polley is a decent shooter, but he's just not athletic enough or confident enough to string anything together on a consistent basis. Etc Etc.

As for Hurley, well strap in guys, it'll probably be more of this next year. This team was broken that badly when he got here, it's going to take 2 years of actual recruiting to get us to a point where we can start seeing a pathway and so far, so good. We effectively didn't recruit for three consecutive years. Right now you gotta turn over some of these scholarships and get some kids out the door (not saying cutting them - saying they need to cycle out), recruit well and develop the talent you have. Next year, it's all of the above, and hopefully the talent takes a step forward and we can play a little post season basketball.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Chief what do you feel is the reason for this? I really do think we foul quite a bit but do get hosed a lot as well. Does the NCAA hate us this much? The refs hate Hurley?... or is it really because Jalen’s jersey is untucked?
Lots of factors including our players deficiencies. But, I think the AAC has refs from the South and Midwest where Danny’s Jersey boy style may not be tolerated as much as in the northeast. I think he needs to adjust to that.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Or coaches and playing time, right? If you want more time use the time you have to be so productive your coach can't take you out.

unless his sucky kid plays the same position.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

The pattern is that 1) we foul a lot, and 2) we foul to prolong the game when losing. It is not 3) the refs hate us or Hurley.

If you want to make point 1), you should look at foul differentials excluding end of game nonsense, like the number I gave to you (15 to 24). It's not as dramatic as 100% more, but it's more meaningful.

UConn has committed 34 strategic game-prolonging fouls in 4 conference game losses. Likewise, we've been fouled 6 times for similar reasons (all in the SMU game).

It is definitely true that if you make more FTs than your opponent, you have a better chance to win. It's one of the Four Factors after all.

UConn has shot 95 non-strategic FTs in the 5 games. 64 in losses. Opponents in losses have shot 115. UConn shot 25 in its win, and SMU had 16.

So the stats you should parade around are:
  • UConn has shot 36 less non-strategic FTs than our opponents in 5 conference games.
  • UConn is giving up an average of 29 non-strategic FTAs in conference losses, while shooting an average of 18 ourselves. Disparity of 11 per game.
  • "In all of UConn's conference losses our opponents have cumulatively taken over 79% more non-strategic foul shots than us."
  • UConn averages 9 more non-strategic FTAs in conference wins than losses and gives up 13 more non-strategic FTAs per game to opponents in conference losses.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
They took 12 foul shot as we prolonged the game.

15-24 is more indicative of the game and the fact they were out-positioning us on the inside after screen switches leading to mismatches. Plus all of our reaching on the perimeter.
Our punters tend to knock the fullbacks on the other team on their asses a lot. Hurley needs to call in Bobby to teach our guys the art of the flop. Refs in this league are very suspectible to flops. Al and Jalen were able to repeatedly knock over Cumberland? While we do reach in a lot we also get called for a lot of fouls going for rebounds. What is considered physical or aggressive for other teams are fouls on us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom