Tulsa Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Tulsa Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The season is 40+ games and the games are 40 minutes.

1. Save your over the top reactions for calls that are actually both bad and impact the outcome of the game.

2. When you make a fool of yourself.. dont fake apologize and blame the refs.
And uncooly grab the other guys hand.

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting after Cronin's run in with the official getting tossed last night and now this. 3 coaches tossed in two days. Someone in the league office will be busy tomorrow.

Reaction Score
When you routinely lose games you focus on the refs. Officiating was bad in years we won National Championships too but when you win no one cares.

Officiating is bad. Hurley is over the top which isn't helping him. And the team isn't winning.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Imagine if the internet was a prevalent Calhoun's first year. Wouldn't it be fun to read the 1986-87 version of the boneyard to see what fans were saying about Calhoun during his 9-19 season?
You do have to remember that that was in the old Big East, a year or two after 3 or the 4 Final Four teams came from the conference.

Reaction Score
No. I’m saying that that’s not when they won the battles with the refs. When they won, they learned how to work them effectively in the games, not after. Calhoun was physically intimidating. Knight was intimidating to everyone, in a different era when he could be. K earned it with wins. Hurley hasn’t firgured it out. He has made himself a target. And his post-game rants aren’t going to change anything. He needs to pick his battles, plain and simple.
That's fair enough but that stuff comes with time. I doubt Calhoun was winning those battles when he first came to UConn from Northeastern. I don't see this as a postgame rant, it was a bush league move by a bush league ref in a bush league conference. It even happens every once in a blue moon at the highest level (Joey Crawford kicking Duncan out of the game for laughing) but the refs are consistently awful in our league. You aren't supposed to notice the refs, they are one of the major stories most nights in our league.

Reaction Score
Down with strategic Ts all day. But stop whining and start adjusting. We have all mentioned concern withbsecind half and first half ending debacles. Get a plan together with this great staff we have. Recruiting doesn’t matter if they aren’t winning.

While I'll agree Hurley is extreme at times. I think people are going overboard with all of this. You're not going to see a lot of adjustments because we simply don't have the talent. I think as his recruits start rolling in, these sideline tactics will go away.

Reaction Score
When you routinely lose games you focus on the refs. Officiating was bad in years we won National Championships too but when you win no one cares.

Officiating is bad. Hurley is over the top which isn't helping him. And the team isn't winning.

Ehh, I mean my joy for the championships outweighs the refs so in that sense you're right. But as a fan of the sport I certainly wouldn't say I didn't notice or care. Reffing at high levels is a hard job, and every league has it's issues. But what's going on now in college basketball is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
I don't see it. Maybe we wouldn't have been blown out by 20 points plus but probably the same record give or take one extra loss.
I don't think we win as many games because I think we would have had a worse roster. Think certain players would have left.

Reaction Score
I think this is the 3rd time Tarin Smith has made a terrible mental mistake during crunch time. Second time he fouled a 3 point shooter with the clock running out, and the blown lay up last game.

So much for senior experience. Play Brendon Adams...no need for Smith at all anymore.
I said this last game. The season is lost and Brendan Adams has some talent that playing more live basketball will help. Train is our Antoine Andersson for this year.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
As much as it pains me to say this. If we want to win games we should just play a stupid zone. Our interior defense has looked much better the few times we played zone. Our bigs are not athletic enough or well conditioned enough to play man. It’s not like our conference is stacked wirh knock down shooters either.

Reaction Score
I don’t mind a technical foul as long as it is over a bad call or series of bad calls and directed to the refs. This was between two head coaches... and that is embarrassing to the program honestly. Pick your battles.

Reaction Score
I don't think we win as many games because I think we would have had a worse roster. Think certain players would have left.
Worst than this? Maybe Carlton would have left and I guess Jalen might have too but he is having an awful season for his sr. year.

Reaction Score
As much as it pains me to say this. If we want to win games we should just play a stupid zone. Our interior defense has looked much better the few times we played zone. Our bigs are not athletic enough or well conditioned enough to play man.
I agree. Not sure why we didn't go to zone when Tulsa was killing us inside in the first half.

Reaction Score
You're not going to win games putting teams at the ft line like what has happened the past two games. 36 attempts tonight. Crazy. This is Tulsa.

Reaction Score
Worst than this? Maybe Carlton would have left and I guess Jalen might have too but he is having an awful season for his sr. year.
I think Vital would have left too but you might be right. Maybe we would have the same record.

Reaction Score
Oh boo bleeping hoo. We have an animated coach who tries working refs. Isn’t this what we wanted? Ollie literally cemented his butt in a chair and we didn’t like it. Also the hand shake was him showing some sportsmanship and moving on. He did nothing wrong and I’m glad to have an animated coach who works extremely hard. If only we can get the players to play interior defense the way he works on the sidelines...

Reaction Score
As much as it pains me to say this. If we want to win games we should just play a stupid zone. Our interior defense has looked much better the few times we played zone. Our bigs are not athletic enough or well conditioned enough to play man. It’s not like our conference is stacked wirh knock down shooters either.
As BFieldHusky said and I'm paraphrasing "I don't think Hurley cares too much about wins and losses right now, he's not compromising his philosophy for a quick fix, it's all about changing the culture."

Reaction Score
Exactly what I was talking about while watching the game. I know the talent isn’t quite there but I thought we’d see a tougher, harder playing team this season. Our first few games looked good but now it’s back to the ways of old. I’m still all in on Hurley long term. I’m just being patient and waiting for his guys to come and completely buy into him.
Yeah, I was one of the biggest Hurley supporters in the offseason but even I have seen, soft d, lack of heart and just dumb offense(over penetrating and unforced errors) that I have to wonder what is being done with this team this year. I'm sorry I only see a little improvement from last year with a similar roster. I though Hurley would have them playing tougher and smarter. I will be patient but this season is all but over as far as post season play is concerned. Let's just play B. Adams and Wilson more to get them more game time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Imagine if the internet was a prevalent Calhoun's first year. Wouldn't it be fun to read the 1986-87 version of the boneyard to see what fans were saying about Calhoun during his 9-19 season?

The Boneyard is way too easy on new coaches.

P. Diaco. Ollie. Edsall Redux.

All had honeymoons that lasted too long. People want to believe in spite of the evidence. Hurley has coached this team no better than Ollie coached last year’s debacle.

Now maybe Hurley can recruit and coach his players to get this program where it should be - but this team stinks and the coach owns some of that.

Reaction Score
The season is 40+ games and the games are 40 minutes.

1. Save your over the top reactions for calls that are actually both bad and impact the outcome of the game.

2. When you make a fool of yourself.. dont fake apologize and blame the refs.
Kevin, is that you? Sincerely, Danny

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As BFieldHusky said and I'm paraphrasing "I don't think Hurley cares too much about wins and losses right now, he's not compromising his philosophy for a quick fix, it's all about changing the culture."

Based on him stroking out on the side of the court he cares if they win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom