Tulsa Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Tulsa Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While I'll agree Hurley is extreme at times. I think people are going overboard with all of this. You're not going to see a lot of adjustments because we simply don't have the talent. I think as his recruits start rolling in, these sideline tactics will go away.
He said it before the season. I dont have the link to the article. But in it he states that early in rebuilds he's more animated on the sidelines, to attempt to keep the enemy up. But once the team matures and develops he backs off.

Reaction Score
There are definitely a few officials in this league who like to see themselves on tv. The younger guys in particular.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard is way too easy on new coaches.

P. Diaco. Ollie. Edsall Redux.

All had honeymoons that lasted too long. People want to believe in spite of the evidence. Hurley has coached this team no better than Ollie coached last year’s debacle.

Now maybe Hurley can recruit and coach his players to get this program where it should be - but this team stinks and the coach owns some of that.
Absolutely, we still suck and if we aren't seeing improvement next year I'll be freaking out about him. We desperately need to finish this class out strong, it's imperative to how we look next year and going forward. My biggest fear is this not happening. If Carlton and Polley are starting next year we are already sunk.

Reaction Score
There are definitely a few officials in this league who like to see themselves on tv. The younger guys in particular.
Probably my biggest pet peeve in sports.

Reaction Score

All had honeymoons that lasted too long. People want to believe in spite of the evidence. Hurley has coached this team no better than Ollie coached last year’s debacle.

Now maybe Hurley can recruit and coach his players to get this program where it should be - but this team stinks and the coach owns some of that.
You're so right. We should have fired Calhoun after the 1986-1987 season. Was unacceptable.

Reaction Score
You can almost tell the type. They look like they've spent more time in the weight room than on a basketball court.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're so right. We should have fired Calhoun after the 1986-1987 season. Was unacceptable.

I actually remember it - and you missed the point. So well done.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts-
-Tarin smith is just a bit better version of Antoine Anderson-I kno u love Tarin coach hurley but time to start playing Brendan more
-Carlton getting worked by that white kid on that driving layup was some of the worst defense I’ve seen all year. Carlton just not good. Sorry it’s true
-polley once again non factor
-AG And Vital had bad Games
-Jalen does his usual - showing up in last 5 minutes when it’s too late
- not saying I expected a tourney team but I will admit, thought this team wud be showing me more by now. Strange.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Hurley needs to grow up?' mr. op'er, im pretty sure coach is like, at least 30 (I can tell by his folically challenged condition), so I don't think he's getting any taller, unless he goes for that 'heightening' thing.

Reaction Score
Also, KO observed him and obviously came to the conclusion he had something given he played 14 mpg as a freshman. I’m not sure Hurley has come to the conclusion that Whaley is not good. I suspect missing much of November due to his ankle injury didn’t help his standing this year. I hope Hurley at some point gives him 15-20 mpg for 3 or 4 games in a row to see what he has.

Ollie didn't play him, then he played him, we were bad, and then he benched him again. Ollie gave him the shot last year that you want Hurley to give him this year, because his alternatives were Onourah and also freshman Carlton. They benched him when Cobb returned from suspension. The coaches have better eyes than you, and they have both flunked him.

Defensive box plus minus is never really significant, that's the point. Even with 100 games. It should be noted the 2nd best Husky by DBPM was Onourah. Enough said.

During his heavier minutes, our best wins were against BJ Taylor-less UCF at home and Foster and Ray-less SMU (who played 7 guys and lost 9 of 11 from that point on with 2 wins against East Carolina) at home. During that stretch we allowed 1.05 points per possession on defense, identical to our season average.

73% is about what's needed to be a top 100 team defensive rebounding rate. In the 16 games he got heaviest minutes last year, we did better than that number 3 times (and 1 was a freebie vs. Coppin State). 13 games we were under, and most were well under. That's not all on him, but he clearly didn't move the needle for rebounding at all.

He had a 7.5% dreb% in the most important q1 and q2 games, which is Polley-esque. And in those games his shotblocking was down to mediocre levels, about the same as Carlton's.

The one thing he does is not foul as often as Carlton or Cobb. But he still fouls more than Polley, so what are we even getting from him? Mediocre shotblocking, bad rebounding, and? Much worse offense?

Reaction Score
I dont mind Hurley getting on the refs at all. People have been saying for the last few years that the officiating in the AAC has been bad. Nights like this, when both coaches are ejected and comments are made after the game about the refs is a good thing in my opinion because it draws attention to it. Sometimes its good to speak out like that and make somewhat of a scene because it has people talking about it.

Reaction Score
40+? How much college basketball do you watch? We would have to play all 4 days in the AAC tourney as well as get to the Final Four to get to 40 games..

Your anti-Hurley rhetoric is getting really old
Don't worry. These morons will go silent when Hurley gets his first couple of recruiting classes in and starts winning. Right now he is a foster dad to a bunch of damaged kids. Maybe he will save one. Either way, they will all be gone eventually.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No I got your point. You're upset and want to bash Hurley. He has coached this team better than Ollie. You do remember last year we struggled to beat Columbia?

You remember how Ollie didn’t have Wilson and Gilbert?

Reaction Score
I tend to think that the situation we are in is more of an indictment of the condition the program was left in rather than Dan Hurley. We all want and hoped for the fastest turnaround possible, but it's clearly going to take time and patience. Sometimes that is hard to accept for fans of a program that has had as much success as UConn. Hence all the tastes great, less filling back and forth. It's just born out of frustration. It's human nature to play the blame game. I figured year 3 would be the year we would see significant results. Next year is too early to ask freshman to come in and turn it around and I don't see top drawer graduate transfers wanting to come here for their last year unless there is some kind of connection with a coach. Hurley is far from infallable and you can see that he is frustrated as well, but he needs to be given a legitamate chance to build the program back up before the jackals gather. I mean have you seen our frontcourt? We don't have a legitimate player right now at the 3,4 or 5. People keep saying we have more talent than these teams that are beating us. Yeah, we don't. At least not at 3 positions. And dont give me recruiting rankings garbage. I mean just look at the difference in builds and body types. I mean #41 for Tulsa comes off their bench and he is better than anyone we have 3 thru 5. One game sample size sure, but ask yourself, does Uconn have anyone 3 through 5 that can put up 25+ points against a conference opponent?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Big East basketball will be equivalent to the best FCS football conference in 20 years. How could anyone who advocates for that move not want UConn basketball to shrivel up and die?
Wait, 20 years? If I'm not dead, I'll be too old to care.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
They both got a T they deserved.

Then Hurley was trying to shake Haith’s hand and the ref was just trying to get him back to his bench.

A second ref came in and T’d Hurley up - I think because he wasn’t retreating like the first ref wanted.

I’m not sure I saw Haith get a second T.

I don’t think ref 1 who I believe was the head ref wanted to eject them but once the second ref pulled the trigger he was stuck.
And here I was thinking you may have doubled down on a bet after the double ejection hadn't happened with Cronin & Hurley.
Grateful that this came up on page one.
Now, do I keep reading or just step away?

Reaction Score
Wait, 20 years? If I'm not dead, I'll be too old to care.
And football will be a helmetless 2 hand touch sport by then. You know you have a terrible argumemt when it starts out with "20 years down the road..."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dan is frustrated and he needs to express that differently. I don’t mind working the refs, but you need to mix some humor in and get them to like you so that it’s more effective.

Our team fouls too much
Our team doesn’t draw enough fouls
Our team is repeatedly called for very soft fouls and is often fouled with no call

All three are true. UConn should have some intern send a video to the league and refs showing all the contact that goes uncalled and other bad calls. Our inflated turnover number is more than just carelessness, we get hacked and nothing is called.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

What’s that old ultimate coaching compliment axiom?

“ he can beat you with his players, or take your players and beat you with them”

Yeah there is no evidence of that thus far in the toolbox.So I guess it’s on to the “ program builder” component. Few more years I guess. I’m patient. But was hoping for a bit better out of the chute.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Kevin, is that you? Sincerely, Danny

I was fine with KO going because of all the ancillary off the court reasons and I hate that he gets brought up all the time now still, it’s over. but on the court this team is no worse than 12-6 under him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom