Tulsa plays for a NCAA bid tomorrow at 11:30 am on CBS | The Boneyard

Tulsa plays for a NCAA bid tomorrow at 11:30 am on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I doubt Tulsa will beat LA Tech, but hopefully they have secured an NIT bid. All of Tulsa's significant players are underclassmen so they should be a decent addition next year. This is the worst start time in the history of sports, a 10:30 am (central time) championship game.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Houston returns their 5 best players in Thomas, House, Stiggers, Rose, Knowles...and adds 2 good players in JC Washington and JaQuel Richmond.

Reaction Score
Houston returns their 5 best players in Thomas, House, Stiggers, Rose, Knowles...and adds 2 good players in JC Washington and JaQuel Richmond.

and hopefully a new and improved coach for Houston.

Reaction Score
Tulsa is not a bad program by any stretch. Now it's not like a plug in for our old conference mates, but theyve got am elite 8 appearance and a sweet sixteen or two, been to the tourney plenty. My god have they had some coaches go through there - Self, Nolan Richardson, Buzz, Tubby and maybe one or two more known guys. It was a stepping stone program to a big conference job.

I used to spend a ton of time (not by choice) in Tulsa in the late 1990's and early 2000's and they were pretty good then. It's not like a UCF or USF.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Tulsa's 8,500 seat Reynolds Center:
college-photo_8872..jpg

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Tulsa is not a bad program by any stretch. Now it's not like a plug in for our old conference mates, but theyve got am elite 8 appearance and a sweet sixteen or two, been to the tourney plenty. My god have they had some coaches go through there - Self, Nolan Richardson, Buzz, Tubby and maybe one or two more known guys. It was a stepping stone program to a big conference job.

I used to spend a ton of time (not by choice) in Tulsa in the late 1990's and early 2000's and they were pretty good then. It's not like a UCF or USF.

but they're not if the state of Florida either

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
One thing we like to joke about, we may have the best destinations of any conference in the country. Should have referenced that in the conference name, maybe something like the "Weekend Escape Conference", or maybe the "Follow the Sun Conference", with UConn doing their part and playing some games at the Mohegan Sun.

Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans, Memphis, Dallas, "Galveston" and NBA-U (where they can come see what championship banners look like :))

Reaction Score
Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans, Memphis, Dallas, "Galveston" and NBA-U (where they can come see what championship banners look like :))

And, Philly which beats them all.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
One thing we like to joke about, we may have the best destinations of any conference in the country. Should have referenced that in the conference name, maybe something like the "Weekend Escape Conference", or maybe the "Follow the Sun Conference", with UConn doing their part and playing some games at the Mohegan Sun.

I hope you're not actually suggesting that Tulsa is a "destination".

Then again, maybe you're a fan of Denny's. There are four within walking distance of the Holiday Inn. And people at the bar there will argue which one is the best.

I had the misfortune of living that nightmare not too long ago.

Now, Tulane OTOH...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Roscoe Smith's relative (cousin?) plays for Tulsa - a freshman

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Tulsa is losing no one next year, so hopefully they'll be competitive.

Reaction Score
I doubt Tulsa will beat LA Tech, but hopefully they have secured an NIT bid. All of Tulsa's significant players are underclassmen so they should be a decent addition next year. This is the worst start time in the history of sports, a 10:30 am (central time) championship game.

El Paso is on Mountain Standard time. Game started at 9:30am.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And Stockholm syndrome is setting in...

That's the size of it.

It's nice that they did well in a mid-major conference and I don't think they'll be as bad as UCF or Tulane, but they were putrid out of conference. TCU managed to lose 19 games in the Big 12, but they still managed two easy wins over Tulsa.

Reaction Score
That's the size of it.

It's nice that they did well in a mid-major conference and I don't think they'll be as bad as UCF or Tulane, but they were putrid out of conference. TCU managed to lose 19 games in the Big 12, but they still managed two easy wins over Tulsa.

Managed? TCU triumphantly set the bar for mediocrity. A banner will hang in whatever converted cattle-slaughterhouse they call a basketball arena commemorating the glorious year celebrating their perseverance against logic and odds and success at failing.

Reaction Score
Tulsa will be a decent, top-100 team next year, returning virtually everyone from a top-100 team that may get NCAAT (and at least NIT) experience.

They'll populate the middle of the pack in the AAC, unlike this year which featured 5 top-50 teams and 5 sub-150 teams.

Of course, in the old BE, teams 9-14 were usually comfortably top 100, in addition to the top teams, so this is really putting lipstick on a pig.

Reaction Score
Tulsa looks good up 8 with about a minute to go. I had a crazy thought. With the AAC looking a whole lot better than we thought and the ACC somewhat dissapointing, why doesn't our conference try to steal some of the ACC teams? ;)

Okay, football is a whole different story, but I couldn't help myself.

Reaction Score
Awesome for Tulsa. With the youth of their roster they actually might not be horrendous next year.

Reaction Score
That James Woodard is a nice looking player. 7 out of 8 guys in their rotation are sophomores, not bad.

Reaction Score
Tulsa will be a decent, top-100 team next year, returning virtually everyone from a top-100 team that may get NCAAT (and at least NIT) experience.

They'll populate the middle of the pack in the AAC, unlike this year which featured 5 top-50 teams and 5 sub-150 teams.

Of course, in the old BE, teams 9-14 were usually comfortably top 100, in addition to the top teams, so this is really putting lipstick on a pig.

Nah, Tulsa would probably win the new Big East next year. They remind me a lot of Nova. They do need to find a big man, hopefully this win will help them land a blue chip big man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69