Tuesday's Womens Championship | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tuesday's Womens Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I feel bad that the Cuse women's team doesn't have a Helms banner to make them feel better about themselves.
Hey, you have no clue as to how much prestige a Helms championship awarded in the Coolidge administration holds.

Reaction Score
It just seems unseemly to listen to Doris Burke vomit up effusive praise about all these accomplishments of UConn and their players when it certainly appears like the equivalent of losing your mind over the 85 Bears going undefeated against the Rotary Club flag football team. When your sport's championship game has a 26 point line, it's more of an exhibition than a competition. I personally think what the SU players did is far more impressive than Yukon in relative terms. The SU women and coaches took a program from nothing to the championship game, while the Yukon women basically were a 15 year old who punched their 4 year old brother in the face 75 times and claimed the title of greatest fighter on planet earth with a record of 75-0.
this might actually be the dumbest thing I've read from them

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Lol. Those Helms Title celebrations must have been epic. Oh that's right, they were awarded twenty to thirty years after they were "won."

I enjoyed reading the citation on wiki's Helms Titles page:

CITATION
Close
[a]"A 'championship' is something that is won, most generally on the field of play against direct competition. A 'title' is something that is given or awarded by someone else, in honor of an achievement or as a designation of being considered the best at something. … So while it is generally true that winning a championship also involves a title being associated with it, the converse does not always hold. In many cases, a title can be given without a formal championship or competition being held at all. In other words, being awarded a title does not necessarily confer that a championship was even present, much less attained. In the case of collegiate basketball, there are actually many titles which can be claimed, some which are associated with winning a tournament (NCAA Tournament, NIT tournament, Conference tournament etc.) and some which are not (Associated Press #1, Highest Attendance, top Sagarin Rating). The latter do not constitute a championship. It is into this group that the Helms title falls."

Reaction Score
I'm as excited for next year as I've been in a long time. There will be tension in the women's game again. We'll get to watch the ascension of KLS and Collier, the excitement of Dangerfield (kind of the women's Alterique). Geno's coaching will be on display.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE banking championships, and would do it every year if I had the choice, but it was pretty hard to get up for the games this year. Especially in the FF, when we usually are treated to some excitement.

The pressure will be off his team now without the big 3, they already won 4 in a row. 2016-17 should be an off year (for their standards) but be right back at it the year after, seeing Uconn will only have one Sr (Chong) winning a national championship next year is unlikely but not totally out of the question The pressure next year is on teams like ND, Baylor, Texas, Cuse to win it all. I think Geno will look forward to coaching a team with no expectations after coaching the big 3 and the olympic team. He says he misses being the underdog well thats what he's gonna get. It will be very interesting next year.

Reaction Score
Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton

>>Stewart said she's looking forward to watching from afar and is confident the Huskies will have no problem extending their record 75-game winning streak and challenging for a 12th national championship.
"I don't think UConn ever has a rebuilding year," she said. "I don't think we rebuild. I think we just reload."<<

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I didn't get a chance to watch. Did Geno and the women provide Emmert with an appropriate snub?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton

>>Stewart said she's looking forward to watching from afar and is confident the Huskies will have no problem extending their record 75-game winning streak and challenging for a 12th national championship.
"I don't think UConn ever has a rebuilding year," she said. "I don't think we rebuild. I think we just reload."<<

She clearly wasn't paying attention post DT.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I didn't get a chance to watch. Did Geno and the women provide Emmert with an appropriate snub?

No. Geno was classy. I read his lips say "thank you" and shook his hand. That was it though. Cordial but not overly friendly.

Reaction Score
In Women's hoop...it must not be Notre Dame or Tennessee. Numbers 1 and 1a on the list.

Maybe one day the UNC women will be a top team again. Unlikely though as they are needed as compliance road kill to make sure that the UNC men can keep rolling along.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Maybe one day the UNC women will be a top team again. Unlikely though as they are needed as compliance road kill to make sure that the UNC men can keep rolling along.

Just to note, I don't think TN is a top 2 team, just that I always want them to lose, along with ND. 1st round if possible.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
T

It just seems unseemly to listen to Doris Burke vomit up effusive praise about all these accomplishments of UConn and their players when it certainly appears like the equivalent of losing your mind over the 85 Bears going undefeated against the Rotary Club flag football team. When your sport's championship game has a 26 point line, it's more of an exhibition than a competition. I personally think what the SU players did is far more impressive than Yukon in relative terms. The SU women and coaches took a program from nothing to the championship game, while the Yukon women basically were a 15 year old who punched their 4 year old brother in the face 75 times and claimed the title of greatest fighter on planet earth with a record of 75-0..

One thing I will agree with was Burke waxing poetic about UConn was too much! First, she stopped covering the game, Second, it was through Cuse's big run which she ignored. I usually like Doris, but last night I was begging her to shut up, or at least mention the game.
Funny that they see themselves as our 4 year old brother we beat up on. Perhaps they shouldn't have upset So. Carolina or ND and we could habve played against someone our own age.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
An appalling abomination...

but still enjoyable schadenfreude. And apparently filmed with a potato.

Next time they're wagering I hope our people ask them to wear UConn jerseys or something, instead of singing. And the finest technology in all of upper New York was used to film that. Look at all that snow on the ground. Syracuse might as well be in the Arctic Circle.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
A former walk-on senior that they were just trying to get a final hoop for, but big shocker that the Cuse faithful took it as a shot across the bow. Knew they would and they didn't disappoint.

Even if they complain that it was running up the score, who cares? We don't play them anymore. The next time we do probably won't be until years from now if we happen to get hooked up with them again in the NCAA's. They'll have to carry a grudge for a really, really long time, which they probably will, but again, who cares? I'll predict right now that we crush them down to orange pulp, whenever we happen to play them in the future.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Syracuse ran into one of the best women's teams in NCAA history. What did they expect? This just shows that they are as clueless they are egotistical, after all, what school declares itself as the 'basketball center of the universe' before eitherof their teams play a final 4 game.

Some low lights from the 'Cuse board:

"Apparently you can't breath in the vicinity of a UConn player" - They play in the ACC with Duke and this is a surprise to them?

"I would just like to keep this "within an Oklahoma" - that was actually funny.

"...and here i thought the men's refs were bad. 16 ft's to 4. we had 4 fouls called on us in the first three minutes and the rout was on" - If this guy has followed Syracuse women during the Dance or the last time Syracuse played UConn, he would realize that part of Coach Q's strategy has always been to hack a star, in this case Stewie. They committed 19 against UConn, and averaged 16 throughout the dance in a sport where it very dangerous to foul because the FT shooting percentage of most of the women's teams.

"I see the women's team shoots fts as well as the men do. Also is there a play where Stewart isn't complaining?" - Really, have their fans watched Coach Boehiem at all in the last 30 or so years or in the last year complaining how he broke some rules; but, did not cheat, so they shouldn't be punished.

"On the bright side, at least we don't live in Storrs" - Uh, your school is in Syracuse, buddy. Enough said.

"That was classless. It's great to get the senior walk on in the game but in that situation you give her the ball and let her run out the clock. Geno acting like he had never been there before" - Clueless fan, that's called giving credit to a walk-on player who busted her but for 4 years and by scoring instead of just dribbling around, she can show her grand kids that she once got a basket in the national championship game playing with the best team in history.

"Back stabbing? Some of you are amazing. SU sucked then. Did you see the hugs her and Q were giving each other? Or the hugs between her and Sykes who have been friends since their AAU days. Seems like the hate is within some fans and not so much the actual competitors and coaches" - This guy gets it. Stewie picked UConn over Syracuse and the locals have been riding her about it ever since.

The asshat Syracuse alum at ESPN that posted the "capital of college BB" nonsense about Syracuse, NY is delusional. Do the math: 15>1. Our children, great grandchildren and great great grandchildren will not live long enough to see Otto the Orangeman surpass UCONN in combined men's and women's BB national titles.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Bah. There is no good defense for that group. Ridiculously good offensive execution.

True, but with zone, you give up all kinds of threes that just increase the lead at a higher rate. Better to just give up those man-to-man back door layups!

Reaction Score
True, but with zone, you give up all kinds of threes that just increase the lead at a higher rate. Better to just give up those man-to-man back door layups!
Yeah, I can see the logic in that. The zone is just horrid all around. You give up open threes, offensive rebounds, and open shots from the holes in the zone. Why anyone would play zone against that team is a mystery. Especially considering how well they pass the ball.

Reaction Score
In order for Butler to be a factor down low she needs to get in the weight room AND she needs to stop trying to bounce the ball when she catches it near the rim. She needs to go strong to the hoop.
She has a decent shot, but like many women players, just doesn't seem to have hoops chops. They don't understand what they need to do. They can be taught fundamentals, but not game. Stevie had game offensively and defensively. She was a rare player.

Should be stewie. &;&( autocorrect.

Reaction Score
Speaking of zone - playing zone seems to be both a mens and womens thing at Syracuse. It was fun watching UConn pick their zone defense apart.
Wonder how many SU opponents will save this game as exhibit 1 in how to destroy an SU zone.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yeah, I can see the logic in that. The zone is just horrid all around. You give up open threes, offensive rebounds, and open shots from the holes in the zone. Why anyone would play zone against that team is a mystery. Especially considering how well they pass the ball.
Yeah. After all, SU played zone and lost by 31. Oregon State played man to man and only lost by only 29.

Reaction Score
Yeah. After all, SU played zone and lost by 31. Oregon State played man to man and only lost by only 29.
Right. If I didn't know better, I'd say they were two different teams and therefore the comparison falls apart completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom