Tuesday's Womens Championship | The Boneyard

Tuesday's Womens Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been pretty consistent over the decades that the only thing that matters when you play a game is winning or losing and the rest of it is really just not worth worrying too much about.

But at the risk of being a hypocrit am I the only one here who is really, really rooting for the women to shut out Syracuse tomorrow night?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Many of us were hoping Cuse would lose by 50 in the tourney. It was never stipulated that we were only referring to the men. Maybe tomorrow we will get our wish.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You're not the only one. Want them to beat the snot out of the booger picker's university.

Reaction Score
Hope so. I know Geno respects "Q" I think he's an idiot on the sideline but in respect to him, great job coaching that program to where they are. They have a swagger and they have some athletes who can score the ball - this one could be a little tougher than most think and the girls will miss Samuelson too.

Interesting game although I expect 4 for 4 for the seniors in a tough one.

Reaction Score
Yeah...no.

I am hoping for a 34+ point win so that Syracuse holds the record for the biggest defeat and UConn is the one to give it to them.

The papers here in upstate NY were gushing about how Geno said some nice things about the Syracuse coach. They don't know Geno. That wasn't a good thing. He teases the coaches he respects. When he gives you solid praise, he is about the kick the living bejesus out of you. If Samuelson had not gone down, it would have been a blood bath. I still see us pounding them until the final buzzer and humiliating them in a way that doesn't heal for a VERY LONG time.

Reaction Score
Yeah...no.

I am hoping for a 34+ point win so that Syracuse holds the record for the biggest defeat and UConn is the one to give it to them.

The papers here in upstate NY were gushing about how Geno said some nice things about the Syracuse coach. They don't know Geno. That wasn't a good thing. He teases the coaches he respects. When he gives you solid praise, he is about the kick the living bejesus out of you. If Samuelson had not gone down, it would have been a blood bath. I still see us pounding them until the final buzzer and humiliating them in a way that doesn't heal for a VERY LONG time.

You mean the women are going to leave a bad taste of UConn in the mouths of the Cuse chicks?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Strictly IMO: while Geno did praise the improvement of Syracuse under Q [which is deserved] they do have a history...and not a good one.
Despite the lopsided scores overall Geno doesn't intentionally run up scores...except: He did so a few years ago against Syracuse...letting Maya go for a bunch of treys
and 40 points in Hartford one game. I don't recall Q's infraction which brought that on but it was something.

Syracuse didn't grant Stewie a home-coming game this year....had to go to Colgate instead...my bet is that ticked Geno off bigtime.
Q did the same thing to UHart's Rizzotti when she wanted a game up there for a player she had who was from near Syracuse.
Later that year...or the next one UHart beat Syracuse in round 1 of the NCAA's...must have felt sweet.
I agree with Paesano....if he were making jokes at Q's expense that would mean he genuinely likes him...beyond 'respecting' the job he has done.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn will win by 25 at least
I wont be watching - haven't watched a UConn womens game in years - not interested or captivated by the lopsided outcomes
Not saying that they aren't good/great/monumental - it just doesn't interest me
I guess that's my problem

Reaction Score
Hope so. I know Geno respects "Q" I think he's an idiot on the sideline but in respect to him, great job coaching that program to where they are. They have a swagger and they have some athletes who can score the ball - this one could be a little tougher than most think and the girls will miss Samuelson too.

Interesting game although I expect 4 for 4 for the seniors in a tough one.

Hardly. UConn's defense will smother the Orange that scores in volume because they don't shoot that well. Their strategy to speed up the game and maximize the number of possessions will backfire spectacularly. The UConn women score at will on contested shots, when Syracuse presses, they'll end up in a layup line.

Reaction Score
I think Hillsman's infraction against us in the Maya Moore game was how physical the game was. The whole tone of the game annoyed Geno and he decided to make them pay. Of course, making them pay is simply what other teams do, which is to leave their star players in the whole game so they can rack up meaningless points to pad their stats.

Reaction Score
Strictly IMO: while Geno did praise the improvement of Syracuse under Q [which is deserved] they do have a history...and not a good one.
Despite the lopsided scores overall Geno doesn't intentionally run up scores...except: He did so a few years ago against Syracuse...letting Maya go for a bunch of treys
and 40 points in Hartford one game. I don't recall Q's infraction which brought that on but it was something.
It was a very physical game back in 2009, lots of hard fouls and one which went beyond that. Caroline Doty had hit 5/11 threes and was fouled very hard on one of those attempts, suffering a torn ACL during her freshman year. There was much more to this game as well...including an elbow thrown by one of the Syracuse players.

The signature incident though occurred after the game while they were going through the handshake line. Many of the Syracuse players did not shake hands with UConn players and one of them, Nicole Michael, even refused to shake hands with Geno. He told her that she should have a better attitude immediately after the refusal and then, as he was making his way back to UConn's bench, the same player took it a step further, stuck her foot out and tried to trip Geno as he walked past. Fortunately, he didn't fall, but the entire experience was certainly enough to sour relations. ;)

Reaction Score
UConn will win by 25 at least
I wont be watching - haven't watched a UConn womens game in years - not interested or captivated by the lopsided outcomes
Not saying that they aren't good/great/monumental - it just doesn't interest me
I guess that's my problem
Line is 24.5. You cover!

Reaction Score

Syracuse didn't grant Stewie a home-coming game this year....had to go to Colgate instead...my bet is that ticked Geno off bigtime.
Q did the same thing to UHart's Rizzotti when she wanted a game up there for a player she had who was from near Syracuse.
Later that year...or the next one UHart beat Syracuse in round 1 of the NCAA's...must have felt sweet.
I agree with Paesano....if he were making jokes at Q's expense that would mean he genuinely likes him...beyond 'respecting' the job he has done.
Geno let Maya drop 40 that night because of some jawing by the Syracuse team and some really over-the-top physical play by "Cuse. I hope Stewie drops 50 tonight.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I would feel more confident if they didn't participate in a coed scrimmage during first night

Nah, it totally helps the girls. That's why they win all the time. UCONN by 100.

It kills the men though.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The men are clearly DOOOOOOOOOOMED by playing with and against the women. Even in just a scrimmage, the whole complexion of the season is determined on First Night. I mean, the men have only won two national titles since they've gone to that format on First Night and there have been like eight or ten available national titles to win in that span.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno let Maya drop 40 that night because of some jawing by the Syracuse team and some really over-the-top physical play by "Cuse. I hope Stewie drops 50 tonight.
Nah, itwas a comment by a Syracuse player. Before the game, a reporter asked the SU player who's going to guard Maya Moore and the kid said, "Any one of us can guard her. She's just another player to us". Geno asked Maya if she really was just another player then left her in for almost the entire game. Maya ended up with 40 points, 10 threes, 13 rebounds, 2 assists (0 TOs) and 2 steals. Geno doesn't usually run up the score but he was pissed at what he saw as blatant disrespect towards Maya so the Huskies won 107-53.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm gonna miss the show tonight. Will be sitting in PNC Park where it will be a balmy 36F, steadily dropping to 33F by 10pm. And it's Niese vs Wacha. Should be a barrel of laughs.

I'm doing this because the Tao of Marriage bit me in the ass again.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This Q dude is some character, huh?

I didn't realize until the final four game the other night that the women play quarters instead of halves. Strange.

Reaction Score
50-23 UConn at the break. Dominant performance so far.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We look like the Globetrotters vs. the Generals. Unreal.

Reaction Score
UConn is up by 29 now about halfway through the 3rd, hope to win by 40 or more. Thank you ladies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Holy crap, did you see the military workouts they've been doing?!?

These other teams never had a chance. This guy is light years ahead of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom