OT: - Tua/Left-Handed QBs | The Boneyard

OT: Tua/Left-Handed QBs

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I was reading about Tua's debut with the Dolphins, and I had to read this 3 times before I could process it.

Tagovailoa also became the first left-handed quarterback to complete a pass since Kellen Moore did so for the Dallas Cowboys in Week 17 of the 2015 season.

No lefty has completed a pass in 5 years? Crazy.

As someone who watched Boomer and Steve Young, it seemed so bizarre. But yep, it's a fact.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was reading about Tua's debut with the Dolphins, and I had to read this 3 times before I could process it.

Tagovailoa also became the first left-handed quarterback to complete a pass since Kellen Moore did so for the Dallas Cowboys in Week 17 of the 2015 season.

No lefty has completed a pass in 5 years? Crazy.

As someone who watched Boomer and Steve Young, it seemed so bizarre. But yep, it's a fact.

I have no idea if it is real, but back in the day I read that receivers have a major adjustment to the opposite direction spin. So lefties deal with more drops. Certainly over time they adjust or Young and Boomer wouldn't have been what they were.

Other theory - lefties with great arms play baseball.

Reaction Score
I have no idea if it is real, but back in the day I read that receivers have a major adjustment to the opposite direction spin. So lefties deal with more drops. Certainly over time they adjust or Young and Boomer wouldn't have been what they were.

Other theory - lefties with great arms play baseball.
Would imagine it's an adjustment for the OL too, get beat and you generally have an idea of how to force the defender a certain way to let the QB roll out. But completely different when you need a lefty QB to roll out and be able to throw

Reaction Score
Would imagine it's an adjustment for the OL too, get beat and you generally have an idea of how to force the defender a certain way to let the QB roll out. But completely different when you need a lefty QB to roll out and be able to throw

Same goes for handoffs. That exchange has to be fluid and natural at a high speed.

Reaction Score
I think that’s why you don’t see many. Running an offense, worse case scenario you need to have a backup who can come in and run the offense with minimal disruption. Hard to do with a lefty. Handoffs, spin, blindside protection. LT’s are blindside protectors. It’s not as simple as making a LT a RT to protect the blindside.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

These are all good theories and make sense. But over the years there have been guys good enough to justify having your team make the necessary adjustments. The guys I named, Brunell, Vick, et al. It's odd one hasn't come along in so long.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
As a lefty this offends me. I’ll be writing to the league offices and putting together the initial stages of a class action suit based on constitutional grounds.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Kenny Stabler had no problem hooking up with Fred Biletnekoff and Cliff Branch.

Reaction Score
What are the stats for lefty success in various sports? Seems like lower than % in general population.

Football - QB's under-represented, I'd guess irrelevant at all other positions save kicker?
Baseball - more lefty's than usual, definitely among pitchers
Basketball - There SHOULD be more lefties, but I think they are under-represented, for that reason they have an advantage as even at NBA & college level defenders can't seem to remember when a guy is lefty. I've always had an easier time defending lefties than most because I remember and because I incorrectly try to block shots with my right hand. You'd think there'd be more lefties as % since lefties via standard youth drills lefties are forced to be more ambidextrous.
Hockey - ?? no clue
Soccer - ?
Tennis - seems like an advantage but I'd guess under-represented
Boxing - no one will fight them
Skating - ?

Reaction Score
What are the stats for lefty success in various sports? Seems like lower than % in general population.

Football - QB's under-represented, I'd guess irrelevant at all other positions save kicker?
Basketball - There SHOULD be more lefties, but I think they are under-represented, for that reason they have an advantage as even at NBA & college level defenders can't seem to remember when a guy is lefty. I've always had an easier time defending lefties than most because I remember and because I incorrectly try to block shots with my right hand. You'd think there'd be more lefties as % since lefties via standard youth drills lefties are forced to be more ambidextrous.
Hockey - ?? no clue
Soccer - ?
Skating - ?

I believe MLB is 25% left handed, which is higher than the percentage of left hand people in the general population.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score

Hockey - ?? no clue
Soccer - ?
Skating - ?

There are a lot of "lefties" in hockey, but that doesn't necessarily equate with being left handed. Same with lax. I know plenty of people who were lefty in lax and/or hockey, but were right handed.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of "lefties" in hockey, but that doesn't necessarily equate with being left handed. Same with lax. I know plenty of people who were lefty in lax and/or hockey, but were right handed.
Yeah, seems like for lax & hockey being left sticked could be preferable on defense but a disadvantage on offense if a typical defender is right sticked.
Are most lacrosse goalies left-sticked to better defend right-handers? Or does it not matter. I know only what little I've learned in 2yrs of my 10yr old playing.
In hockey I'd think left-handed hockey goalies are rare, possible disadvantage (although then maybe a weird advantage in terms of messing up shooters?!).

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Yeah, seems like for lax & hockey being left sticked could be preferable on defense but a disadvantage on offense if a typical defender is right sticked.
Are most lacrosse goalies left-sticked to better defend right-handers? Or does it not matter. I know only what little I've learned in 2yrs of my 10yr old playing.
In hockey I'd think left-handed hockey goalies are rare, possible disadvantage (although then maybe a weird advantage in terms of messing up shooters?!).
There are some lefty goalies in lax, but I don't think for goalies it really makes much of a difference. I always found shooting against a lefty goalie as a righty was easier, but its really just personal preference. It's certainly an advatage to have a lefty defender guard a righty. Having at least one lefty on offense is a necessity in lax.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom