TSam's jump shot. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

TSam's jump shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you're not a good shooter or even have a clue at this point it's rare it will ever be more than below average. Not saying it can't but I'm pretty much of the opinion you were "born" to shoot or you weren't.
Read the link in my sig. Ray's forgets more about shooting in one day than you or I will ever know about it in our lifetimes, and he 100% disagrees with you.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Magic Johnson & Jason Kidd were both poor at outside shooting when they came into the league...with dedication& repetition of necessary adjustments to their form, they both became dangerous three point shooters at the NBA distance.
Sam Jr. and TSam can both become solid outside shooters, but only if they put in the work.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Read the link in my sig. Ray's forgets more about shooting in one day than you or I will ever know about it in our lifetimes, and he 100% disagrees with you.

Although he may have worked harder harder to perfect his shot as much as or more than any other human being, he had great natural talent that was apparent from the first moment he wore a UConn uniform. Many people's ceilings are just not so high. Does that mean he cannot get better? No, but he could take a 5000 shots a day and he would never approach becoming a great shooter.

I would love to be proven wrong on this one, but would be very surprised. Magic and Kidd were good examples of people who put in the work and got a lot better, but before their improvement they had a lot better form than Terrence does.

Reaction Score

Ray Allen, Magic Johnson and Jason Kidd? Wow is that really who we're going to start with as far as people who "improved"? Add Michael Jordan to that because he definitely became a "better shooter" as his career went on. Look at the base line of these guys and the time they had due to their other abilities.

I get you can improve, some people. look what you're working with compared to these guys - form, ability, game. Not a fair comparison.

Reaction Score
He doesn't have a jump shot and never will. Unfortunate but true. Taliek had 4 years to work on his and never improved.
Except for that one shining moment against Pitt in the Big East tourney.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
TSam needs to learn to shoot a set shot from at least two spots along the three point line. Pretend it is a long free throw. This way someone will have to a least guard him out there. Nothing fancy now. No jumping, no moving, no hesitating. Picks two spots and practice from there, probably from both corners of the lane extended outward. He could get there this summer if he sticks just to that. So when the ball swings he can just catch and shoot.
And on his off day he can practice dribbling with his off hand.

Reaction Score
TSam needs to learn to shoot a set shot from at least two spots along the three point line. Pretend it is a long free throw. This way someone will have to a least guard him out there. Nothing fancy now. No jumping, no moving, no hesitating. Picks two spots and practice from there, probably from both corners of the lane extended outward. He could get there this summer if he sticks just to that. So when the ball swings he can just catch and shoot.

He's actually more confident with his off (left) hand dribbling the ball, goes to his left better than his strong hand. Not an awful idea on set shooting though in the Tony Robertson manner.

Reaction Score
He doesn't realize that a good shot starts in the toes and ends in the finger tips

Just about every shot starts in the toes and ends with the finger tips. It's what happens in between that has T-Sam's shot duck___ed up

Reaction Score
How bout one of those "dog obstacle courses" where he dribbles between cones and then through a long tunnel followed by jumping over a puddle?

Reaction Score
How bout one of those "dog obstacle courses" where he dribbles between cones and then through a long tunnel followed by jumping over a puddle?
Trajan Langdon needed that practice for the 99 Championship game. Instead, he fell where the puddle was.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Why are you so quick to discount the 2 threes that were made after the whistle was blown? I think he is 2-19 if you consider those.

This reminds me of the season where Antric started off like 0-11 or something, and the announcer pointed out that .000 was less aesthetically revolting than what his shooting percentage would be once he made one.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
This reminds me of the season where Antric started off like 0-11 or something, and the announcer pointed out that .000 was less aesthetically revolting than what his shooting percentage would be once he made one.
"Aesthetically revolting" about sums up the Antric Klaiber experience.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Given that players generally do not substantially improve their shooting ability and given that Terrence has not noticeably improved his shooting in the the past two years, I would say that his best move would be to recognize what a jump shot is and then never, ever attempt another one. A jump shot from Terrence is effectively a turnover.

Go full Roosevelt Jones or Josh Pace and just get creative.

Scoop shots, runners, floaters, etc., etc.

Josh Pace was relatively effective for a player who hit two threes in four years - kid had one play, a runner off of a lefty drive. I don't think Roosevelt Jones has ever hit a three-pointer and he takes a jump shot about twice a year.

Both of these guys averaged 10-12 points as juniors...not saying Terrence can do that, but he has the ability to be more productive even without a jump shot.

Just stop taking them.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
"Aesthetically revolting" about sums up the Antric Klaiber experience.

The sad but funny thing is that he would have gotten major minutes on this squad. He actually had decent SO & JR seasons. I looked up his stats -- he shot well over 50% and averaged around 3 & 3 in 13 mpg in those years. Then he fell off the cliff his senior season.

His problem was that he thought he was Lamar Odom when in fact he was a slightly better Phil Nolan. His turnover % was atrocious.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Antric got a lot of minutes in the first half of his junior year, but was basically exiled to the bench by the end of it.

He wasn't good enough and he was a bit of a nut - the drunk-driving mess, forgetting his passport in London, tuning out Calhoun for long stretches, etc.

He would have been a holy terror on a bad team like this one. Ollie would have shot him.

Reaction Score
I once had a basket (regulation height) hooked to our garage as a kid. I would shoot jumpers day and night. I could hit 50 jumpers in a row and was basically a 'can't miss' shooter.

I was always mystified at why I couldn't do the same when someone guarded me or in game situations.

Reaction Score
I once had a basket (regulation height) hooked to our garage as a kid. I would shoot jumpers day and night. I could hit 50 jumpers in a row and was basically a 'can't miss' shooter.

I was always mystified at why I couldn't do the same when someone guarded me or in game situations.

You would've if you had Ray Allen as your coach!

Or me......;)

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Antric got a lot of minutes in the first half of his junior year, but was basically exiled to the bench by the end of it.

He wasn't good enough and he was a bit of a nut - the drunk-driving mess, forgetting his passport in London, tuning out Calhoun for long stretches, etc.

He would have been a holy terror on a bad team like this one. Ollie would have shot him.

I remember Jim Calhoun saying something along the lines that he would never be able to convince Antric Klaiber that he wasn't Magic Johnson.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I remember Jim Calhoun saying something along the lines that he would never be able to convince Antric Klaiber that he wasn't Magic Johnson.

He did say that.

It was something to the effect that Antric might someday acknowledge that Jim Calhoun was the coach and that he might know something about the game, but he'd never stop believing that he was Magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom