TSam hinting at possible off court issues affecting on court performance | The Boneyard

TSam hinting at possible off court issues affecting on court performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“I feel like we’ve got to prepare better, starting from the day before the game into the hotel, right before we leave. We’ve just got to do certain things differently before the game.”

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2015/01/kevin-ollie-theres-got-to-be-some.html?m=1

To me it seems he his hinting at some of the team members (or the team as a whole) not being very responsible the night before games. It has happened before this season, when 4 guys were suspended before the West Virginia game for violating team rules.

It would explain why Boat look so tired against Tulsa, and why the team as a whole just looked so off, except for TSam who had his best game of his career (offensively) and DHam, who Terrence has tried to act as a mentor to.

This could be good news, if addressed. It means team could be a lot better through a quick fix. Would explain games like Tulsa, and Yale.

Reaction Score
Looks like chap got into the comments section of that blog, with a little better English. Someone needs to find that cranky old duck* a hobby before he ruins the whole internet.

Oh yeah, and the op of this thread could have interpreted that TSam was hinting that asparagus futures will be a good investment in the coming months and been only slightly less off base.

Reaction Score
I wish I could be less blunt, but this is a really stupid post. This team has a lot of issues, but implying that Boat is partying and not taking games seriously is really on a different level of stupidity.

I am open to hearing what you think TSam was referring to then. I could be way off but that's how it came off to me, don't know why else he would be referring to the hotel night before to explain the poor performance.

Also you sound like you didn't have much fun during college...

Reaction Score
Looks like chap got into the comments section of that blog, with a little better English. Someone needs to find that cranky old duck* a hobby before he ruins the whole internet.

Oh yeah, and the op of this thread could have interpreted that TSam was hinting that asparagus futures will be a good investment in the coming months and been only slightly less off base.

I am still of the opinion that "Chap" is one of the old timers pulling some strange version of a long con since nobody could be that dim and annoying.

Reaction Score

you also sound like you didn't have much fun in college...who makes jokes with asparagus and futures in the same sentence...

Reaction Score
I am open to hearing what you think TSam was referring to then. I could be way off but that's how it came off to me, don't know why else he would be referring to the hotel night before to explain the poor performance.

Also you sound like you didn't have much fun during college...

I think its pretty damn obvious that T Sam is saying that the team needs to do a better job of preparing before a game. I don't see any reason to speculate that our team leader is partying the night before games. But what do I know, I am just 15 and haven't raged in college like this bro.

Reaction Score
I think its pretty damn obvious that T Sam is saying that the team needs to do a better job of preparing before a game. I don't see any reason to speculate that our team leader is partying the night before games. But what do I know, I am just 15 and haven't raged in college like this bro.

Read my whole post, was not saying its just Boat, said it could possibly be the whole team...as I also mentioned in my original post its already happened before, hence the WV game suspensions. What else could preparing better the night before the game mean? The team is not sleeping hard enough?

Also now that I know you are 15, go to bed, don't do drugs, and best of luck with the rest of high school.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

How does one score sarcasm? High grade because it goes over their head or low grade because no one should miss it.

Don't screw up the APR.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's a constant throughout sports- when you win a title, how do you stay motivated? How do you have the same hunger? I don't question the effort on-the-court, but for some of these guys to have their guards a little down off-the-court wouldn't be a shocker. At least the returning guys- freshmen have no excuse.

Reaction Score
Read my whole post, was not saying its just Boat, said it could possibly be the whole team...as I also mentioned in my original post its already happened before, hence the WV game suspensions. What else could preparing better the night before the game mean? The team is not sleeping hard enough?

Also now that I know you are 15, go to bed, don't do drugs, and best of luck with the rest of high school.

Now I am going to post like a 15 year old. My 4 "likes" and my quoted posts (whaler, not you) are from 5 of the maybe 8 remaining worthwhile posters on the board. I'll take it. Too much whiskey, I am going to sleep. You should do the same.

Edit. Now I'm at like a 7/8. If I got a like from champs or nomar, I'd have to call it a night, and you should call it a career. Time to prepare for the hangover....

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yep. Because there is so much to do in Tulsa, OK. Classic post.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Now I am going to post like a 15 year old. My 4 "likes" and my quoted posts (whaler, not you) are from 5 of the maybe 8 remaining worthwhile posters on the board. I'll take it. Too much whiskey, I am going to sleep. You should do the same.

Here I was generally enjoying your posts until you were so mean to me.

Reaction Score
Here I was generally enjoying your posts until you were so mean to me.

I said you were one of the 8 most worthwhile posters! This should be an amazing compliment.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I said you were one of the 8 most worthwhile posters! This should be an amazing compliment.

Well then I'll retrospectively like everything you've posted.

Every once in a while I'll scroll through a thread and think "Jesus I drank a lot that night I don't remember posting that" but it's just my inability to discern between walker and whaler.

I'll spoil it... you aren't 15 I'm guessing.

Reaction Score
AfgHusky15 said:
Read my whole post, was not saying its just Boat, said it could possibly be the whole team...as I also mentioned in my original post its already happened before, hence the WV game suspensions. What else could preparing better the night before the game mean? The team is not sleeping hard enough? Also now that I know you are 15, go to bed, don't do drugs, and best of luck with the rest of high school.

You are reading specifically "the night before" into a generic comment about overall mental focus. He never said anything specifically about late night - he said from the moment they arrive at the hotel to the moment they leave for the game (i.e. the whole trip), the team needs to stay mentally focused on the task at the hand. It's a long, long boring game day at the hotel when you wake up at 9 for breakfast and leave for the arena at 6 or 7. There's some film sessions, meetings, walk throughs, team meals, etc., but several hours to kill in between that just drag on. He may not have even had anything specific in mind, but if he did, I'd wager almost anything that he's talking about guys goofing around in their rooms, texting their girlfriends, watching TV, playing video games, listening to tunes, etc. and not being locked in enough. In fairness to anyone who may be doing those things, not everyone can sit there and visualize basketball for 10 hours. But if you do those things during the day, and then you're out there making game plan related mistakes or not running the right plays at night, it can prompt the thought that TSam expressed.

And Boat - a guy who desperately wants to be in the league and knows his ticket is showing he can lead a team as a senior - isn't blowing off anything to hit the streets of Tulsa on a Monday night. He's fought through that deep thigh bruise a couple times on adrenaline (once in a must win at Florida, once in front of a sellout crowd at home), but it might have caught up to him and he was simply dead-legged. Rip took a couple weeks to get back to normal from the same injury, and Boat was less than two weeks removed from his. Just because you gut it out once or twice doesn't mean you're all the way back to 100 percent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are reading specifically "the night before" into a generic comment about overall mental focus. He never said anything specifically about late night - he said from the moment they arrive at the hotel to the moment they leave for the game (i.e. the whole trip), the team needs to stay mentally focused on the task at the hand. It's a long, long boring game day at the hotel when you wake up at 9 for breakfast and leave for the arena at 6 or 7. There's some film sessions, meetings, walk throughs, team meals, etc., but several hours to kill in between that just drag on. He may not have even had anything specific in mind, but if he did, I'd wager almost anything that he's talking about guys goofing around in their rooms, texting their girlfriends, watching TV, playing video games, listening to tunes, etc. and not being locked in enough. In fairness to anyone who may be doing those things, not everyone can sit there and visualize basketball for 10 hours. But if you do those things during the day, and then you're out there making game plan related mistakes or not running the right plays at night, it can prompt the thought that TSam expressed.

And Boat - a guy who desperately wants to be in the league and knows his ticket is showing he can lead a team as a senior - isn't blowing off anything to hit the streets of Tulsa on a Monday night. He's fought through that deep thigh bruise a couple times on adrenaline (once in a must win at Florida, once in front of a sellout crowd at home), but it might have caught up to him and he was simply dead-legged. Rip took a couple weeks to get back to normal from the same injury, and Boat was less than two weeks removed from his. Just because you gut it out once or twice doesn't mean you're all the way back to 100 percent.

I've been proven to not be a grammar hero.

I've read his quote 20 times.

To me he is talking about the day before they leave for a road game not the night before a game.

Reaction Score
Well then I'll retrospectively like everything you've posted.

Every once in a while I'll scroll through a thread and think "Jesus I drank a lot that night I don't remember posting that" but it's just my inability to discern between walker and whaler.

I'll spoil it... you aren't 15 I'm guessing.

You got me. After the inappropriately long (wrong) tenure of my generic uconnchamps990441114huskychampsdynasty tag, I decided to change up to a tag to reflect my favorite incoming freshman PG, and I inadvertently mimicked a good ole time poster on the yard

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You got me. After the inappropriately long (wrong) tenure of my generic uconnchamps990441114huskychampsdynasty tag, I decided to change up to a tag to reflect my favorite incoming freshman PG, and I inadvertently mimicked a good ole time poster on the yard

I should have pointed out that I'm usually impressed with myself for that moment until I am deflated when I realize it is you.

Be glad you don't have 5k posts on football game threads that pretty much equate to: I feel an interception coming.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
I've been proven to not be a grammar hero. I've read his quote 20 times. To me he is talking about the day before they leave for a road game not the night before a game.

It was a little bit of word salad, so nobody but TSam would know exactly what he meant. It read to me like he was attempting to say starting the day before the game (travel), into the hotel (arriving in town), right before we leave (leaving the hotel to go to the game) to encompass an entire "business trip" up to game time.

But you could be right that "right before we leave" means leave Storrs and not leave the hotel. But either way would mean he's making the same point that the team needs better mental preparation and focus over the course of the entire trip.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Honestly, it sounds to me like TSam is talking about the airport shuttle.

I like those Sprinter vans if I have a choice - they're much more comfortable than the normal cargo van.

Anyway, that's what I think TSam is talking about.

Or he's talking about packing. Everyone should just go with one carry-on so they get to the hotel faster. I bet guys like Cassell and Nolan check bags - they look like they check bags. You can't check a bag on such a short trip - that's being selfish.

I have a UConn carry-on. Guess who gave it to me?

UConn, bitches. It even has my name on it.

Think about that the next time one of you fleas decides to question what I know or don't know.

Did UConn give you a carry-on with your name on it? No? Then leave me alone.

Still can't believe Walker11 and Whaler11 are different people. Which one is the cranky one again?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I like those Sprinter vans if I have a choice - they're much more comfortable than the normal cargo van.

Or he's talking about packing. Everyone should just go with one carry-on so they get to the hotel faster. I bet guys like Cassell and Nolan check bags - they look like they check bags. You can't check a bag on such a short trip - that's being selfish.

Think

That's quite a riddle. Clearly it's impermissable.

A carry on implies flights. Kirk King is too easy an answer. Ricky Moore has better taste.

You run with the big dogs, but Lew Perkins knows how to cover tracks...

Doug Wrenn can only trade tickets not bags...

That leaves us with Shea Ralph. Since you can't admit it just give us a wink by mocking someone in your next post.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's quite a riddle. Clearly it's impermissable.

A carry on implies flights. Kirk King is too easy an answer. Ricky Moore has better taste.

You run with the big dogs, but Lew Perkins knows how to cover tracks....

I'm sorry, but do you have a mini-basketball that Lew Perkins signed because he thought you were kind of amusing on the internet a decade ago?

No?

THEN DON'T EVEN PRETEND YOU'RE FIT TO LOOK ME IN THE EYE!

IMG_2773.jpg

Long story behind that. Actually, it's a short story. Both are boring.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

UConn, bitches. It even has my name on it.

Think about that the next time one of you fleas decides to question what I know or don't know.

Did UConn give you a carry-on with your name on it? No? Then leave me alone.

Still can't believe Walker11 and Whaler11 are different people. Which one is the cranky one again?

You all have (unsurprisingly) heads like overripe melons.

The meaning of TSam's quote is quite clear.

There are those (unnamed) on this team who DO take the escalator, instead of the stairs in the airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom