Trying to make sense of the carnage | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Trying to make sense of the carnage

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
As Fishy says, the staff needs to work harder, but not the way most people think of it. They need to work harder at two things:

1. Evaluating talent. We need basketball players with athletic ability not athletes with a little basketball ability.

2. Getting the kids to work harder. Some of the kids try hard, but they aren't relentless. When I was playing basketball in high school, I learned relentlessness the summer before my senior year. It hit me that I could get almost every rebound if I truly wanted it. This was with very limited leaping ability and a 6'1" height. The thing was that I had to keep trying to get the ball, not try just once. I started getting a hand on it, tipping it and keeping it alive. I was a big Rodman fan and I just watched him all the time. He never quit. This team needs the JC attitude back in the locker room. No quitting, no relaxing and no excuses. You have to be a real thorn in the opponents side. That was our identity. It is gone. KO has that gene, he needs to use it.

Rock fight toughness.

Reaction Score
Not breaking news.....and I'm not mad at him for it. Anyone with half a brain should have figured out that Ollie wasn't gonna step in and be a great game coach. He's never done it before. I'm willing to give him time as long as the recruiting and player development is on point. He deserves in my opinion at least four more years to see if things are moving in the right direction. Anything less than that, just isn't fair and would be a lose situation. The only way I would fire him before that, is if it were clear that we were going backward or not moving forward. I personally think things will get better if we wait. He's only been here about five years. JC wasn't at the top of his game after five years either. JC picked him because he knew Ollie would eventually figure it out. You live and you learn and he is doing exactly that......learning on the job. We deserve after the program JC built to stay on top, but I think JC knew bumpy roads were ahead, but if we stick with Ollie, it would be worth it in the end. I am willing!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Juwan Durham isn't a center, never was a center and never will be a center. He was 196 pounds and had already blown out one of his knees when he committed.

As for Brown; there's no partial credit for recruiting a train wreck.

He's a center now, whether suited for it or not. Maybe Carlton or Cobb is way more than we expect them to be and he gets a reprieve.

I'm kind of hoping on Sean Obi. Not sure what other shoes could drop, but it's not like there is much left out there.

Reaction Score
It is pretty amazing what an inept coach has done to this proud program. And Joe D said last night there is likely more to come. All of this was entirely predictable of course. And sad to say some of it has to fall at the feet of Jim Calhoun. Had he had the decency to retire in March instead of playing games to make it impossible to keep Ollie from getting the job, things might be different. Some of it rests with Manuel who lacked the spine to actually stand up to Calhoun. Of course the biggest piece of the mess goes to Ollie himself. He has no concept of modern offense, no idea of how to recruit what he needs and can't coach players up. As a coach he is Calipari without the talent.

Reaction Score
It is pretty amazing what an inept coach has done to this proud program. And Joe D said last night there is likely more to come. All of this was entirely predictable of course. And sad to say some of it has to fall at the feet of Jim Calhoun. Had he had the decency to retire in March instead of playing games to make it impossible to keep Ollie from getting the job, things might be different. Some of it rests with Manuel who lacked the spine to actually stand up to Calhoun. Of course the biggest piece of the mess goes to Ollie himself. He has no concept of modern offense, no idea of how to recruit what he needs and can't coach players up. As a coach he is Calipari without the talent.

Inept, but with a National Championship banner. Kind of puts a little rain on your narrative parade, no?

Reaction Score
As usual F me for posting this and take everything with a freaking grain of salt because I'm sure I will be jumped all over but here we go. Ollie sold himself as a fatherly Calhoun 2.0 is the word i hear (not my word,what i hear). Which he is and the players like him. Guys like Napier really show that fatherly side. Ollie took these guards under his wing and they like him as a mentor. But this is the Trainwreck Calhoun had a couple hundred wins under his belt when he came here from Boston at the D1 level. He could coach he had an amazing X's and O's mind but that was fine tuned with his other jobs as head coach. Ollie does not have that skillset and experience yet. sure he could learn it but the players are pissed because there are times I have heard they feel like he is lost in huddles and does not always have a game plan. Ollie needed to be a head coach and win two hundred games or a hundred games at a Charlotte or a mid low major like school. And I think Calhoun kind of screwed him over by taking the third guy on the bench(ollie) and putting them as the head coach. He's being asked to have his first car at 16 be a Ferrari.
So here's the root of the issue I hear that the players to not feel like they are developing and being coached at practice and at games at the level UConn should. Nobody's going to blast ollie on the way out because they like the guy there are issues with development and coaching
Lots of the time Ollie's gameplan wasnt issue tho, it was execution. When we made shots Ollie looked like a genious. Guys stepping out of bounds, making idiotic passes, and not understanding basic defensive principals has nothing to do with gameplan. Thats basketball IQ. The hardest think to teach a basketball player is how to be a smart player. For example, im sure our players know how to cut to the basket, but they dont understand timing. Kevin Ollie cant teach timing and instincts. The players know better than i donoc course, and im sure their concerns have some validity to them. But Ollie has shown he can coach and the coach who coached us to a title hasnt changed nor have his philosophy. THE PLAYERS HAVE

Reaction Score
I wish we were not paying him $3.1 million a year to figure it out. I do not think under any circumstance he will get four more years to try to figure this out. I think he knows as well as anyone that the time to perform is now. I feel like were in a catch 22 though, on the one hand I do think he will figure it out in a few more years, but on the other hand if he doesn't it would be that much harder to bring this program back in to get a quality coach. I'm definitely in the concerned camp.

Reaction Score
No one holds KO responsible for key players' injuries and the season falling apart, but the reason a lot of players transfer is PT and we just had 2 starters transfer that were both slated for significant PT. Players leaving Duke and Kentucky are 4 and 5 star guys buried on the bench. Now KO says and I concur that defense wins championships and both of those guys leaving were negative in that respect. You can say well those guys didn't buy in to the philosophy. KO brought them on board. He analyzed, worked up, and said they were a fit. Waiting for more news, hopefully not, but either this is a needed change with benefit or we have chaos going on.

Reaction Score
Lots of the time Ollie's gameplan wasnt issue tho, it was execution. When we made shots Ollie looked like a genious. Guys stepping out of bounds, making idiotic passes, and not understanding basic defensive principals has nothing to do with gameplan. Thats basketball IQ. The hardest think to teach a basketball player is how to be a smart player. For example, im sure our players know how to cut to the basket, but they dont understand timing. Kevin Ollie cant teach timing and instincts. The players know better than i donoc course, and im sure their concerns have some validity to them. But Ollie has shown he can coach and the coach who coached us to a title hasnt changed nor have his philosophy. THE PLAYERS HAVE

I fully agree with you and like I said at the beginning this is what I heard and not what I believed.

Reaction Score
I fully agree with you and like I said at the beginning this is what I heard and not what I believed.
Thanks for the insight 99 greatly appreciated

Reaction Score
Not breaking news.....and I'm not mad at him for it. Anyone with half a brain should have figured out that Ollie wasn't gonna step in and be a great game coach. He's never done it before. I'm willing to give him time as long as the recruiting and player development is on point. He deserves in my opinion at least four more years to see if things are moving in the right direction. Anything less than that, just isn't fair and would be a lose situation. The only way I would fire him before that, is if it were clear that we were going backward or not moving forward. I personally think things will get better if we wait. He's only been here about five years. JC wasn't at the top of his game after five years either. JC picked him because he knew Ollie would eventually figure it out. You live and you learn and he is doing exactly that.learning on the job. We deserve after the program JC built to stay on top, but I think JC knew bumpy roads were ahead, but if we stick with Ollie, it would be worth it in the end. I am willing!

A top 5 program over the preceding 20 years shouldn't have settled for someone for whom it would take 5+ years to figure out how to coach.

4 years is way too long. He gets 2 to get us back to national prominence. Otherwise, someone else will get the chance.

Reaction Score
A top 5 program over the preceding 20 years shouldn't have settled for someone for whom it would take 5+ years to figure out how to coach.

4 years is way too long. He gets 2 to get us back to national prominence. Otherwise, someone else will get the chance.

And they will fail to reach Uconn standards also. People act like what JC did was easy. As easy as finding the right coach. I would bet there's probably a handful of coaches that could come here and get it back to where we all want it. And those guys are probably happy where they are. JC is gone and so is our program as we knew it, but that doesn't mean it can't be successful and Ollie is the right guy in my opinion. It's just gonna take time.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

To be fair - he's been on the 2-year tenspro2002 performance plan for 2 years now.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Well, you know what? They did. So there's really no use whining about it.

Reaction Score
I think that he knows his x's and o's, I think he can work with kids in practice and inspire them. I think he can develop impressive game plans.

His big weakness--and it's big--is in-game. Time outs. Managing minutes. Adapting on the fly. Those are things you develop over time (if at all) and they're the sort of thing that some good coaches struggle with, but great coaches have down pat.

It doesn't surprise me at all that these things might be problems, and that the optics aren't great. But I also think that if he got higher IQ players it would relieve the stress on some of this. He has to be worried about way too much in game.

He made mistakes and errors with Shabazz/Boatright that I don't think he would now, but overcame them because those two, when on the floor with Daniels, Giffey, Kromah, and Nolan didn't make simple mistakes.

Reaction Score
[QUOTEWe need basketball players with athletic ability not athletes with a little basketball ability[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Exceptional basketball skills first and foremost. Not size. Not athletic ability. Have an SMU looking team where all 5 players on the court can shoot, rebound, pass, and handle.

Reaction Score
I think that he knows his x's and o's, I think he can work with kids in practice and inspire them. I think he can develop impressive game plans.

His big weakness--and it's big--is in-game. Time outs. Managing minutes. Adapting on the fly. Those are things you develop over time (if at all) and they're the sort of thing that some good coaches struggle with, but great coaches have down pat.

It doesn't surprise me at all that these things might be problems, and that the optics aren't great. But I also think that if he got higher IQ players it would relieve the stress on some of this. He has to be worried about way too much in game.

He made mistakes and errors with Shabazz/Boatright that I don't think he would now, but overcame them because those two, when on the floor with Daniels, Giffey, Kromah, and Nolan didn't make simple mistakes.

I think he has been coached by some of the best x's and o's coaches in the game nba and college . it takes time to learn to coach that to other people

Reaction Score
As usual F me for posting this and take everything with a freaking grain of salt because I'm sure I will be jumped all over but here we go. Ollie sold himself as a fatherly Calhoun 2.0 is the word i hear (not my word,what i hear). Which he is and the players like him. Guys like Napier really show that fatherly side. Ollie took these guards under his wing and they like him as a mentor. But this is the Trainwreck Calhoun had a couple hundred wins under his belt when he came here from Boston at the D1 level. He could coach he had an amazing X's and O's mind but that was fine tuned with his other jobs as head coach. Ollie does not have that skillset and experience yet. sure he could learn it but the players are pissed because there are times I have heard they feel like he is lost in huddles and does not always have a game plan. Ollie needed to be a head coach and win two hundred games or a hundred games at a Charlotte or a mid low major like school. And I think Calhoun kind of screwed him over by taking the third guy on the bench(ollie) and putting them as the head coach. He's being asked to have his first car at 16 be a Ferrari.
So here's the root of the issue I hear that the players to not feel like they are developing and being coached at practice and at games at the level UConn should. Nobody's going to blast ollie on the way out because they like the guy there are issues with development and coaching

It shouldn't be necessary that KO be an x's and o's genuis to be a good coach. Not with staffs the size of a D-1 program. It would have been fine if Miller was capable of designing the O and D, and communicating it to KO during games. The fact that KO has pushed Miller out tells you that KO didn't think that was working.

What Calhoun was far, far greater at than X's and O's was looking at his roster, and then determining how the team was going to play, what the rotation was going to be and what players were going to have what roles. That is an art, not a science. X's and O's is more of a science -- it can be learned. I think the eye for building a team that JC had you are either born with or you are not.

My far bigger fear about KO is whether he is good enough at being able to look at all the paints and brushes on the first day of practice, and figure out what the final painting should look like and how you get there. It would be tremendously unfair to say that he probably won't be as good at it as JC, because that implies that anyone would be that good of it and no one was or is (and don't talk about Woodens and Ks who have rosters of McDonalds AAs to create a team from). But I think it is more than fair to ask if KO is ever going to be good enough at it.

Reaction Score
Juwan Durham isn't a center, never was a center and never will be a center. He was 196 pounds and had already blown out one of his knees when he committed.

As for Brown; there's no partial credit for recruiting a train wreck.
We should have grabbed Colson while we had the chance.

Reaction Score
I think he has been coached by some of the best x's and o's coaches in the game nba and college . it takes time to learn to coach that to other people
I don't think it's an x's and o's thing, though. bizlaw nailed my point.

He throws out wacky rotations sometimes, leaves people on the bench long after they should have gone in, and sometimes seems to lose people entirely. Part of coaching is that chaos, and he sometimes struggles at it, for whatever reason. And that needs to be fixed one way or another.

Reaction Score

None of it rests on Manuel. It wasn't a question of him having the spine to tell JC it was time for him to move on so a proper search could be run. He didn't have the authority from his bosses to do that. For absolutely good and understandable reasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom