True or False Question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

True or False Question

Reaction Score
No one can prove what it was but it left a stink on our program. The Miles thing was out there too. We were on the national nightly news during the tourney and it wasnt good. I sense it was a factor, which in retrospect with Carolina makes it worse.

C

Chief00

False. It’s all about football. Always has been and will be for the forseeable future.

I agree Conference Realigmnet , in general, is about football. However, I can give you a CONFIRM that the lawsuit upset Miami and BC and was a show stopper to get us in the ACC. Look at who supposively voted against us. Even many years later, Susan Hebert’s couldn’t get phone calls returned. Because of Blumenthal’s theatrics on camera, UConn became the lawsuit poster child. It turned out to be a very bad thing for UConn. I have no axe to grind against Blumenthal, I have met him several times and find him very cordial off camera and I have had several nice conversations with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was. Then how come BC didn't blackball the school with board members who called Leahy a "liar" in front of his academic peers? And why did their AD say it was because BC doesn't want competition in New England?
What would you expect the AD to say?
Leahy was a proven liar so there was no big deal in saying so
Lawsuits/threats thereof speak louder than words and name calling

Reaction Score
False. The football program and fan base(traveling more than home) kept UConn out of the ACC. Being a D-1 program for less than a decade at the time Pitt and the Cuse were invited, poor road attendance plus BC were the real reasons.

Reaction Score

???????
What?
I would expect someone not to go into detail about the threat UConn posed to them.
You forget that Bob Ryan had an article about the BC brass dreading UConn's entry into football as far back as 2002. For you guys to play politics on this is just ridiculous.
All the evidence is against you.

Reaction Score
We will never really know for sure.
But I would tend to say false
Adding someone to a league is a lot longer term relationship than a one or two year horizon of any penalty.
JC leaving certainly was more of a factor as it jeprodized the long term viability of UConn Basketball our chief selling point.
If the suspension was the cause of his retirement than it adds weight to a true answer.
But only indirectly.

C

Chief00

The lawsuit was Pitt's idea.
There were others involved including Cuse too, but due to Blumenthal’s publicity seeking UConn became the poster child of the bad idea.
Level of confidence = CONFIRMED. It is what it is.

C

Chief00

You got this correct.

Reaction Score
BC didn't want recruiting competition, ACC coaches consider themselves white collar and JC blue collar, the ACC hates that UCONN became a competitive program and still can't believe UCONN wins championships. Any hint of "wrong doing" was just a conveniently added reason to ignore UCONN. The best revenge is to win!!

Reaction Score
Round 1 where Pitt got in the backdoor as our substitute was BCU. Round 2 where Louisvile got in was due to FSU being tired of being tobacco road's bitch and the ACC, legitimately worried about they and Clemson going to the B12.
FSU? Wouldn´t that honor go to NC State or for football only, Duke most years?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FSU? Wouldn´t that honor go to NC State or for football only, Duke most years?
It took me a bit to figure out what you were asking. I'm not talking about on the field. I'm talking about Tobacco Road's influence over conference decisions, such as inviting Cuse and Pitt, rather than football schools.

Reaction Score
It took me a bit to figure out what you were asking. I'm not talking about on the field. I'm talking about Tobacco Road's influence over conference decisions, such as inviting Cuse and Pitt, rather than football schools.
Got it.

Reaction Score
False. The football program and fan base(traveling more than home) kept UConn out of the ACC. Being a D-1 program for less than a decade at the time Pitt and the Cuse were invited, poor road attendance plus BC were the real reasons.

That’s not true. That had nothing at all to do with it. It was 100% FSU and Clemson pushing for a strong (hot at the moment) southern football school and BC and Cuse pushing for it too. Honestly, I don’t blame FSU and Clemson at all. BC and Cuse were the chickens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom