True or False Question | The Boneyard

True or False Question

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Our APR mess was a contributing factor in us missing out on joining a P5 league?

Reaction Score
Our APR mess was a contributing factor in us missing out on joining a P5 league?
Probably somewhat. Calhoun would've stayed on a few extra years, Uconn would not be experiencing any type of decline or uncertainty, so who knows may have made a difference but Boston College was still gonna be a thorn

Reaction Score
True. The APR couldn't have come at a worse time. If the cheating and scandals at Cuse and Louisville had been brought to light when the ACC was expanding we would be in a much better place.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
True. but a not a major one. I'm sure it was used by those opposing us, but the real reason was FSU flexing it muscles and the potential instability of the ACC at the time.

Reaction Score
Things were in motion long before the APR stuff and revolved around money over football over basketball 70/25/5

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
True.

"Contributing" makes even a 0.5% factor valid.

It didn't help and for some people at some decision-making level it may have hurt.

There isn't any document out there laying out all the +/- for each school by each member who had a vote so technically every answer in this thread is speculation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Real reason was BC and ESPN keeping us out. We were above either Louisville or Pitt
Round 1 where Pitt got in the backdoor as our substitute was BCU. Round 2 where Louisvile got in was due to FSU being tired of being tobacco road's bitch and the ACC, legitimately worried about they and Clemson going to the B12.

Reaction Score
RU getting in to B1G coming off the Mike Rice and president scandal

Cause getting in to ACC coming off the Bernie Fine scandal

You all are over-thinking this. None of these conferences really care about much of anything besides money and football. It’s all a false facade.

And sorry, we can’t apply statistical significance of .5% to this. None of these decisions to add members hinged on a .5% fulcrum

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
RU getting in to B1G coming off the Mike Rice and president scandal

Cause getting in to ACC coming off the Bernie Fine scandal

You all are over-thinking this. None of these conferences really care about much of anything besides money and football. It’s all a false facade.

And sorry, we can’t apply statistical significance of .5% to this. None of these decisions to add members hinged on a .5% fulcrum
They added cuse and pitt. They’re not powerhouses. B1g added Rutgers. It’s hard for me to believe it’s about their football schools

Reaction Score
They added cuse and pitt. They’re not powerhouses. B1g added Rutgers. It’s hard for me to believe it’s about their football schools
That’s why I said it was respectively 70 money/25 football/5 basketball

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1. Our regional rivals didn't want to compete with us.
2. We naively tried to save the Big East Conference instead of ourselves.
3. Our FB program was an afterthought nationally.
4. Calhoun was leaving.
5. The Miles scandal
6. APR
84. Blumenthal's lawsuit (even though some people still think it mattered at all)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1. Our regional rivals didn't want to compete with us.
3. Our FB program was an afterthought nationally.
4. Calhoun was leaving.
5. The Miles scandal
6. APR
84. Blumenthal's lawsuit (even though some people still think it mattered at all)

Maybe you are a Blumenthal backer and if so be it
But if you think that played little or no part you are greatly mistaken
I do agree with your #1 - not proactive in getting into a p5 mode - some people couldn't believe that the OBE was done

C

Chief00

Maybe you are a Blumenthal backer and if so be it
But if you think that played little or no part you are greatly mistaken
I do agree with your #1 - not proactive in getting into a p5 mode - some people couldn't believe that the OBE was done
Absolutely correct. Some Presidents still did did not return Susan’s phone calls many years after Blumenthal’s sued them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

And people hate UConn any way. Four titles and we still can't win.

Reaction Score
Absolutely correct. Some Presidents still did did not return Susan’s phone calls many years after Blumenthal’s sued them.

Then why would UConn be the choice ahead of both Pittsburgh and Louisville before things changed (i.e. BC's black ball and Jurich himself "UConn was inked in.")?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Then why would UConn be the choice ahead of both Pittsburgh and Louisville before things changed (i.e. BC's black ball and Jurich himself "UConn was inked in.")?

The reason people keep bringing up Blumenthal has to do with Cesspool topics.

Reaction Score
True. I think it played a part. The biggest reason though was that we didn't start big time football until like 15 years ago. Too little, too late.

C

Chief00

The reason people keep bringing up Blumenthal has to do with Cesspool topics.
You obviously are really out of the loop - the lawsuit alienated a lot of the people whose votes we needed to get into the ACC. It was really stupid.

C

Chief00

The BC blackball was due to the lawsuit.

Reaction Score
I think it's possible. I don't remember the extent to which we were outvoted when Pitt and Syracuse were invited in 2011, but by the time we were up for consideration, those 2006/2007 classes were already beginning to stain the numbers. I remember reading articles about our putrid graduation rates after the final four, and of course the Miles saga was still fairly fresh. The school was not in a good place publicity wise despite just having put together maybe the best couple semesters in this history of the athletic department - the basketball team won the championship, the football team won the Big East, and the baseball program was rising to prominence under Barnes/Springer.

History and tradition seemed to be the main reasons they sold us for adding Pitt and Syracuse, but I'm sure it didn't help that the APR was what it was. This was when the conference was still trying to uphold the holier than thou charade and I don't think the discontentment of Clemson/Florida State played a huge role until the next round when Louisville was added.

Reaction Score
The BC blackball was due to the lawsuit.

It was. Then how come BC didn't blackball the school with board members who called Leahy a "liar" in front of his academic peers? And why did their AD say it was because BC doesn't want competition in New England?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom