True Detective, Season 3 | The Boneyard

True Detective, Season 3

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Off to a good start. Ali is always strong, if maybe a little too understated. The story is very interesting, at least so far.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The reviews are unkind from those I respect (those with 5 episodes).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is a smaller story than the last two seasons, at least so far. The reviews also endlessly compare it to season 1, which is unfair for two reasons. First, season 1 was very original and had a monster cast. Second, I think season 1 is a bit overrated because of the big name cast.

Let the season stand on its own. It isn't the greatest show in the history of shows, but so far seems like a pretty good police procedural.

Reaction Score
Whoa, first episode was absolutely stellar. Saulnier was a great choice. His slow burn type of direction fits really well with the story thus far. Shame he only did half the season I think. @Walker11 if you've got HBO, check it out.

Gonna watch the second ep, hope they can keep it up. Would be pretty cool if this somehow ties into the first season.

Reaction Score
Whoa, first episode was absolutely stellar. Saulnier was a great choice. His slow burn type of direction fits really well with the story thus far. Shame he only did half the season I think. @Walker11 if you've got HBO, check it out.

Gonna watch the second ep, hope they can keep it up. Would be pretty cool if this somehow ties into the first season.

You seem so excited and I hate to burst your bubble! Saulnier only does the first 2 episodes so enjoy them while you can. I agree, he was a perfect fit, and I lean towards agreeing with @nelsonmuntz's take on the show.

The only other director who I actively look out for and will watch anything they do is Fukanaga, ironically enough. You may recall that he was the guy who directed every episode of S1. Sin Nombre was awesome.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You seem so excited and I hate to burst your bubble! Saulnier only does the first 2 episodes so enjoy them while you can. I agree, he was a perfect fit, and I lean towards agreeing with @nelsonmuntz's take on the show.

The only other director who I actively look out for and will watch anything they do is Fukunaga, ironically enough. You may recall that he was the guy who directed every episode of S1. Sin Nombre was awesome.
Oh yea, I knew he dropped out after a few episodes. Didn't realize it was just two.

Fukunaga is a real talent. Haven't seen Maniac yet tho. Will be interesting to see what he can do with Bond. At first blush I wouldn't think that would be his thing.

Ep. 2 just breezed by for me. Another real solid one. Hopefully the show can keep it up.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Just watched the 1st episode and liked it, and looking forward to seeing the rest.

Reaction Score
So far so good, though I have paused it a few times to complain to my wife about story issues. Nothing germane to the overall story, but just weirdness that seems out of place.

Reaction Score
Moving slowly and doesn't seem like they are advancing the story a ton but the acting is phenomenal. Mahershala Ali gets all the accolades and he should because he's excellent but Stephen Dorff just totally turned around his acting career, he's also excellent, as is Scoot McNairy. The scene with Purple and Roland as old men last night was heartbreaking.

Reaction Score
Ali is amazing 2 different courses of is life as is Dorff exceeding expectations. But McNair is very underrated always excellent too.

Like it need a bit more soon but very well done thus far.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I started late but breezed through the first 5 episodes and saw 6 live last night. Really liking the show and the acting has been fantastic. Ali, Dorff, and McNairy are knocking it out of the park. My only nitpick is sometimes not understanding Ali when talking.

Like seeing Scoot again after playing Gordon in Halt and Catch Fire.

Reaction Score
I started late but breezed through the first 5 episodes and saw 6 live last night. Really liking the show and the acting has been fantastic. Ali, Dorff, and McNairy are knocking it out of the park. My only nitpick is sometimes not understanding Ali when talking.

Like seeing Scoot again after playing Gordon in Halt and Catch Fire.

Yes have to agree on Ali rewinding it a few times myself and a couple times unsuccessfully. Scoot has been great and liked him on HC&F also.

As sj said last night is the one I needed to make this move forward the way it needed to. Great timing on this episode can't wait for 7.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Just two episodes left. Things seemed a little slow for me previously, but starting to pick up and hopefully has a surprise/twist at the end.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Through Episode 5. This season is almost Tarantino-esque in that there are several incredible scenes throughout the show but it isn't quite tying together.

Also, I don't know if it is deliberate, but I hate the wife. The actress is fine, I think, but the character is so unlikeable, that I struggle to see why he married her.

Reaction Score
I’m excited for a solid ending. I think it won’t disappoint.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed the beginning episodes, but I'm starting to think it's going off the rails storyline-wise. One more episode to go, but I think they've already telegraphed the conclusion.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed the beginning episodes, but I'm starting to think it's going off the rails storyline-wise. One more episode to go, but I think they've already telegraphed the conclusion.
I've really enjoyed it, not everything needs to be a twist. There still probably will be some sort of twist though.

Reaction Score
She tells him that the story just kept going until “it healed itself — wouldn’t that be a story worth telling? Wouldn’t that be a story worth hearing?”

I thought it was a really well done season & terrific finale. I won't discuss any plot points but I'm really glad they didn't do what they hinted at in Episode 7, would have diminished both outstanding stories.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ending was excellent. I was prepared for an unhappy ending, but in a way, it was actually a pleasant way to end a trail of wrecked lives. I have one plot hole I can't quite fill:

How did Julie know to call in around episode 3 or 4 and say Purcell wasn't her father if she didn't know she was Julie?

Reaction Score
Through Episode 5. This season is almost Tarantino-esque in that there are several incredible scenes throughout the show but it isn't quite tying together.

Also, I don't know if it is deliberate, but I hate the wife. The actress is fine, I think, but the character is so unlikeable, that I struggle to see why he married her.
Because she's gorgeous. intelligent, and challenges him.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Because she's gorgeous. intelligent, and challenges him.

What was the brilliant analogy he used about her being a pretty bird that was scalitoing on his head?

She was manipulative, insincere and ruthless. That isn't challenging him, that is abusing him.

Reaction Score
What was the brilliant analogy he used about her being a pretty bird that was scalitoing on his head?

She was manipulative, insincere and ruthless. That isn't challenging him, that is abusing him.
And then Purple wisened up, she was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom