Trevon Duval to Duke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Trevon Duval to Duke

Reaction Score
Just curious...was that Duke's last scholarship? If not, what would be the difference of going to Duke in the same class with Duval as going to UConn in the same class as Gilbert (assuming he gets medical shirt)?
Mostly that Duke wasn't interested in Waters unless they missed on Duval.

Reaction Score
I love the kids on twitter who hit the "I'm proud to announce I'm continuing my academic and athletic career at X division III school" - please stop with that mess. Never mind the schools, AD's, coaches and parents that allow for Division III signing days at schools - they actually get run in the local TV news up here.

I know of a parent insisted on a signing day for a kid and the kid was getting $300 of aid. Absurd.
I know kids that wanted a signing day for their D3 announcement in which they were pretty much paying $45k a year to play volleyball

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I know kids that wanted a signing day for their D3 announcement in which they were pretty much paying $45k a year to play volleyball
Sports and athletes in general get put on way too high of a pedestal in American culture, the signing day stuff is just a result of that, people getting high on their own lifetime of praise for being good at a game.

That being said, anyone know what Tremont Waters had for breakfast today? Any positive signs?

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Stupid working class people... Mwwwahahaha *said with glass monocle on and pinky finger in the corner of mouth*

I didn't really mean it like that... lol... but from experience, I know they just love to brag about the accomplishments of their kids, no matter how big or small.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I didn't really mean it like that... lol... but from experience, I know they just love to brag about the accomplishments of their kids, no matter how big or small.

You're not a parent, are you?

Reaction Score
Middle-class families love to brag. If it's not in person, it's on Facebook.

I'm going to guess that $45k year for volleyball doesn't come from a middle class family.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Sports and athletes in general get put on way too high of a pedestal in American culture, the signing day stuff is just a result of that, people getting high on their own lifetime of praise for being good at a game.

That being said, anyone know what Tremont Waters had for breakfast today? Any positive signs?
No it has to do with espn and all these recruiting services can get paid while pumping these kids up. Why would these kids say no when they've been talked about and documented since 8th grade?

Reaction Score
No it has to do with espn and all these recruiting services can get paid while pumping these kids up. Why would these kids say no when they've been talked about and documented since 8th grade?
And a kid like tremont has been a basketball star in new haven since he was like 8. I remember going to basketball camp with him and he was like an 8-9 yr old superstar. These kids dont grow up normal

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Yea but no one cares about the D3 athletes in question here, that's only D1 football and basketball players really, and even then only the top schools do their fans actually care about the signing day hype fest.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Maybe this makes me a bad fan but I would have rather he gone to Seton Hall.
Seton Hall never had a realistic chance, at least according to some people I know involved in the program.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but the fact remains: nobody else cares about your f#$king kids.

Thanks bud. I'm not... But even I am aware of how nauseating it can be, because all of the people I graduated with who do have kids can't wait to remind me about their accomplishments. Maybe I'll change my tune when I have them.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
True. But a number of the more sane parents I know think it's ridiculous. Bear in mind, single folks are ridiculous with their 'happy and exciting life' posts as well. Contributes to my theory that humans suck.

2 rules of life:

1) people suck

2) people are stupid

Individuals can be exceptions but as a whole this is a good rule of thumb

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
True. But a number of the more sane parents I know think it's ridiculous. Bear in mind, single folks are ridiculous with their 'happy and exciting life' posts as well. Contributes to my theory that humans suck.

I'm a parent and few things are more annoying than parents crowing about their kids, whether sports or athletics. Little Jimmy made the 7th grade honor roll again! Look at how well Cindy's 6th grade softball team did in this tournament! Barf.

Now one friend's son had recruiting visits all over the Big XII for football and ended up signing with ND State. That was cool to see. And of course, just on the academic side, announcing that your kid will be going to University is fine.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm a parent and few things are more annoying than parents crowing about their kids, whether sports or athletics. Little Jimmy made the 7th grade honor roll again! Look at how well Cindy's 6th grade softball team did in this tournament! Barf.

Now one friend's son had recruiting visits all over the Big XII for football and ended up signing with ND State. That was cool to see. And of course, just on the academic side, announcing that your kid will be going to University is fine.

Agreed. Those bottom 2 are pretty normal and legitimate.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score

Right, I agree that the bottom thing is fine. But the "look who got their license!" type posts are my issue. Congrats. 99% of the people I know have them too. Parents like to validate the importance they see in their child. Sometimes, I think it makes them look insufferable is all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom