Tremont Waters | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Reaction Score
And that right there is the problem.

Our program shouldn't be so diminished that a recruit outside the Top 20 thinks that they're too big for us.

This has gotta be some type of projection. And I'm not even denying that our program is diminished. But he went to LSU. In what world does choosing LSU imply that he thinks he is too big for UCONN!? If he chose a big-time school with a powerful brand and didn't give more than a glance at UCONN, you may have a semblance of a point. It seems so obvious that kid and his family wanted the keys from day 1 and in retrospect, he may be so good that we should have given them to him.

People keep saying he never wanted to come here, which is dead wrong. This kid called us his dream school as early as 8th grade. His interest started to wane around his sophomore or junior year, which seems to correlate greatly with our lack of success. There were also rumors of demands, which, if true, I wouldn't want him, but it was (and is) painfully obvious this kid is a great player and we missed out big time.

Forget 8th grade, there were times this summer when some board "insiders" were saying Tremont was leaning towards coming here and mutual interest was reported by actual credible people outside the program.

Reaction Score
Quick!

Someone convince us this kid is actually really bad and not "tough" enough to play for KO!
What?? To that first part and 2. That is not even the point. ....

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I have no connection to the state of Connecticut, so he's just a former recruit to me.

Screw em. He's good, tho.

Reaction Score
Hey like Fishy said he would've been a tremendous addition to this team for his offensive potential alone. Still a CT kid hope he does some good things it's a good story. I don't even mind the updates on him here, always good to see the kids we recruited and missed to see what they're doing. But can we leave it at that? Does it always have to shift to "KO sucks and he blew it" with everything. You are also the many who believed he and the staff blew it with Sid Wilson and St Johns did a better job it had nothing to do with his family and what they wanted. How did that turn out? I can't hear you?

We are 3-0 have a huge game tonight after some turkey and cocktails with the family, can't we just be a little optimistic and enjoy the day?

Exactly. The kid wanted more playing time than he could reasonably expect here, especially with no outright assurances from Ollie.

Plus, for much of the year, they prioritized MAL over him, so the timing and the priorities were just different during this recruitment. Jalen Adams + Alterique + Vital + MAL made this a very difficult recruitment when Tremont wanted to be the lead guard and starter from day 1 anywhere he went.

pj

Reaction Score
Could transfer to a bigger school after sophomore year. Sit junior and play big ball his senior year for a ku like school

He is old for his class, turning 20 in January. If his plan is to spend 4 years in college, why demand that he be featured from year 1? Why sit out a year to go to KU when he could have gone to KU or equivalent from the get-go by being a team player? I think if his team has a plan that makes sense of the LSU choice, it's to take him pro in 2 years after putting up gaudy numbers.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The kid wanted more playing time than he could reasonably expect here, especially with no outright assurances from Ollie.

Plus, for much of the year, they prioritized MAL over him, so the timing and the priorities were just different during this recruitment. Jalen Adams + Alterique + Vital + MAL made this a very difficult recruitment when Tremont wanted to be the lead guard and starter from day 1 anywhere he went.

Yep MAL and he both look very good. Alterique will need to escalate his game to make our backcourt really good and I think he will. There also would be no Anderson if those guys came and he's been pretty good. Not at all comparing him to their potential but a wonderful 5th year add it would seem thus far. Experience is tough to replace.

Reaction Score
He is old for his class, turning 20 in January. If his plan is to spend 4 years in college, why demand that he be featured from year 1? Why sit out a year to go to KU when he could have gone to KU or equivalent from the get-go by being a team player? I think if his team has a plan that makes sense of the LSU choice, it's to take him pro in 2 years after putting up gaudy numbers.

He's almost 20? Didn't know that wow dare I say he looks younger?

C

Chief00

I do think he is a Lead Guard either at UConn or LSU - he’s that good. But, yeah I always wondered how much our heart was in the recruiting effort on Tremont with all the headaches that seemed to accompany that? But, I think those headaches are not about Tremont being coachable or his behavior - not at all. That’s why I would have prioritized more and just ignore some of the other drama with those around him. I guarantee you one thing Tremont always shows up ready to play from tip-off.

Reaction Score
He's a 4 star combo guard and they have Naz Reid headlining next year's class. Will Wade was a great hire for them.

No doubt he's a very good combo guard, but for Will Wade I think the jury is out. He let's them play so the kids like that because they will score a lot of points, doesn't yanks them on bad plays which there were many of . Problem is they play little to no defense, awful defense from what I saw. I have to watch a team on defense to give the coach his due, Wade has a ways to go from what I saw.

Reaction Score
No doubt he's a very good combo guard, but for Will Wade I think the jury is out. He let's them play so the kids like that because they will score a lot of points, doesn't yanks them on bad plays which there were many of . Problem is they play little to no defense, awful defense from what I saw. I have to watch a team on defense to give the coach his due, Wade has a ways to go from what I saw.
Waters is a point guard, the kid they have coming in is a 4 star combo guard. LSU has little talent now, they can't exactly keep up with Waters and aren't ready for many to his passes. Looks like they won't be without talent for long though.

Reaction Score
Waters is a fantastic basketball talent but he does not have a team first mentality. I don’t know why anyone on this forum would want that kind of attitude on our team regardless of talent level. The game is much bigger than one player.

Does not have a team first mentality? Kid had 4 assist with 39 points, he’s a star player. The assists will get better as the season goes on. I definitely would take a kid like him any day. Waters is exactly what we need. Shabazz averaged 4 to 5 assists in his career here at UConn. Our team is averaging 70 something points a game against cupcakes, but you wouldn’t want waters... smh.

Reaction Score
Waters is a point guard, the kid they have coming in is a 4 star combo guard. LSU has little talent now, they can't exactly keep up with Waters and aren't ready for many to his passes. Looks like they won't be without talent for long though.

I don't doubt that although a few of his no looks were also flipped away or oob's. Kid has tremendous vision but for now cuts the mustard a little too much. They are scoring lots of points so that is not their issue anyway, they need to defend and they have plenty of talent to defend if you make them. He's probably a good coach but they need to get stops more.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And that right there is the problem.

Our program shouldn't be so diminished that a recruit outside the Top 20 thinks that they're too big for us.

Too late. It's already happened.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I for one am looking forward to new iterations of this thread popping up constantly over the next four years - perhaps even later than that.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
And that doesn't piss you off? You seem so eager to accept it.

What good does being pissed do? Does "acceptance" have any bearing on the state of the program?

Reaction Score
He's a 4 star combo guard and they have Naz Reid headlining next year's class. Will Wade was a great hire for them.

Yes this was an outstanding hire. Did very well at VCU. Can recruit with the big boys. LSU will be a top 25 programs once he settles in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom