Tremont Waters | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I've had a longstanding theory that Chief is really Fishy, bored, trolling us all.
Am I crazy or did Matrim not say this identical statement 2 minutes before you in a different thread?

Matrim is Thirty Three? or are we just all in the Matrix?

Reaction Score
Am I crazy or did Matrim not say this identical statement 2 minutes before you in a different thread?

Matrim is Thirty Three? or are we just all in the Matrix?
Matrix. DUH

Reaction Score
A teachable moment here for the casual fan. Oz takes his information and blindly forwards. Chief00 uses his lessons learned over the years and puts what his sources tell him through a prism. - I remember Clyde was pissed off in private since Calhoun apparently got Bynum in the all star game - then Bynum had a blowout performance and went to the NBA. So who really knows if that won't happens with Waters - true not NBA but another school. We are leading and will win it except that real life caveat.
Well, I like to win in real life. I can careless if we are leading now. I want to lead when it matters. Otherwise, who cares. Another teachable moment to the casual fan.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The discussion is that Larrier would be playing the 4 similar to how Roscoe and Daniels did, especially if Waters commits.
This forum, whether discussing a Waters commitment or not tends to look at Larrier as a 4. There is no style of play similarity between Roscoe-Daniels and Larrier. Daniels was a legit stretch 4, ok handle, good shooter. Roscoe could do neither but could rebound like a traditional 4. Larrier is a 6'8" guard. He handles well, shoots it decently, has the ability to take you off the dribble and has the ability to get a few rebounds. Like Ariza in the league only Larrier has a tighter handle and a not as consistent 3.

Reaction Score
This forum, whether discussing a Waters commitment or not tends to look at Larrier as a 4. There is no style of play similarity between Roscoe-Daniels and Larrier. Daniels was a legit stretch 4, ok handle, good shooter. Roscoe could do neither but could rebound like a traditional 4. Larrier is a 6'8" guard. He handles well, shoots it decently, has the ability to take you off the dribble and has the ability to get a few rebounds. Like Ariza in the league only Larrier has a tighter handle and a not as consistent 3.

So you don't think he could be made into a 4 for the benefit of both the team and his long-term game? He already has a tendency to turn his back to the basket when he is out towards the perimeter.

Reaction Score

To be fair, people characterized DD exactly the same way before he was shoehorned into the 4 role. It worked.

You rarely go wrong in college basketball erring on the side of playing small, rather than playing big.

Reaction Score
So you don't think he could be made into a 4 for the benefit of both the team and his long-term game? He already has a tendency to turn his back to the basket when he is out towards the perimeter.

He couldn't understand a simple comparison, why would you expect him to be able to determine whether a natural 3 could size up to a pseudo stretch 4?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He couldn't understand a simple comparison, why would you expect him to be able to determine whether a natural 3 could size up to a pseudo stretch 4?

It isn't as if we all don't recognize that he's a natural perimeter wing forward. That's what he's best suited for. But you play where you're needed.

Reaction Score
It isn't as if we all don't recognize that he's a natural perimeter wing forward. That's what he's best suited for. But you play where you're needed.

Well this thread has shown that there are a few people that struggle with the prospect of Larrier converting from a wing to a stretch 4, even when we have recent historical precedent of having success with that formula.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Well this thread has shown that there are a few people that struggle with the prospect of Larrier converting from a wing to a stretch 4, even when we have recent historical precedent of having success with that formula.
Historical precedent is great, but it really depends on the players, and to give you a tautology, different players are different. I happen to like him better at the 3, from what I saw in his brief appearances.

Reaction Score
Your seriously underrating Gilbert...

Gilbert has played about five minutes of college basketball. He's pretty much still a freshman, so we essentially lost a year of development on him. He was a huge get for us, and he has enormous potential, but he also has two very recent, very serious injuries.

People counting the Gilbert eggs before they hatch do so as their own emotional risk.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Gilbert has played about five minutes of college basketball. He's pretty much still a freshman, so we essentially lost a year of development on him. He was a huge get for us, and he has enormous potential, but he also has two very recent, very serious injuries.

People counting the Gilbert eggs before they hatch do so as their own emotional risk.
Considering he came off the bench playing 35 min his first game, 36 as a starter during his second, and started his 3rd game before being injured. It's safe to say he got some experience, and he's going to play upwards of 35 min a game when healthy.

Reaction Score
Considering he came off the bench playing 35 min his first game, 36 as a starter during his second, and started his 3rd game before being injured. It's safe to say he got some experience, and he's going to play upwards of 35 min a game when healthy.
Those two games were the only two a freshmen needed to play in. Everything a freshmen needs to learn about college basketball in their first season they should have learned from losing two "easy" games back to back.

Reaction Score
Stop. Just stop. We are in survival mode for next season because four players quit. Despite what many whiners here state, our program would survive another disappointing year.

That doesn't mean I want to be disappointed any more than you do.

First of all, I'm not a whiner. I'm concerned that we are now in what has been called survival mode and I just find this difficult to swallow. How we got into this situation wasn't the point of my post. It was my dismay that we may be in this position and based on some responses there are some posters who believe we are actually in survival mode. This just isn't where I thought we would be at this point in time, so yeah I'm disappointed as all of us should be. However, at some point "another disappointing year" isn't going to cut it.

Reaction Score
Those two games were the only two a freshmen needed to play in. Everything a freshmen needs to learn about college basketball in their first season they should have learned from losing two "easy" games back to back.
He was also the best player on the team in those first 2 games. Adams, Purvis, Brimah, and Facey all played like garbage. Gilbert was penetrating on offense and getting steals left and right on defense.

His shoulder is fine. He's had more than enough time to heal. There's no reason to expect another shoulder injury, and he's going to have forgotten how to play in 4.5 months.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Historical precedent is great, but it really depends on the players, and to give you a tautology, different players are different. I happen to like him better at the 3, from what I saw in his brief appearances.

That may be, but the team's personnel, as it's currently constituted, is maximized by him being at the four. It's not perfectly ideal, but it's definitely workable.

Reaction Score

That's great, glad to know you have a pair of eyes and like him at the 3. Given the current makeup of the 2017-18 team, Larrier would be best deployed at the 4 in order to maximize the talent on the team. Luckily for us as fans, we have 2 recent examples of this working, and nothing we've seen out of Larrier as of yet suggests he's incapable of playing a stretch 4 effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom