Tremont Waters (again) | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The "we really suck" camp as you referred to it is basing their opinion on the past 3 seasons and all the turmoil the program is going through. We were great in 2013-14 and 2010-11 when it counted most, but those seasons don't really have much impact on either the 2016-17 or 2017-18 seasons. The program went from winning those two National Championships, to not even being relevant on the national stage within 2 to 3 years. That is a pretty dramatic dropoff in a relatively short period of time by any objective measure and there are huge holes in the roster at the 4 and the 5 for next season. I hope that Cobb, Diarra, and Carlton are great next season, but realistically the team is very light on both experience and depth in the frontcourt right now.

I hope people can appreciate that there are camps in between "We really suck!" and the Lego Movie "Everything is Awesome!" camp. Honestly, I think anyone in either of those camps is a deranged lunatic who should be disregarded entirely.

I would also add that apart from the reality of our performance in recent years, which is brilliant in the context of 2 titles in 7 years and pretty weak in regard to what happened in the other 5 years, is outside perception. Outside perception of where UConn is seems to be significantly worse than the objective reality, presumably based on: (a) loss of a HoF coach; (b) playing in a much weaker conference; (c) some weak seasons under Ollie and zero regular season championships; (d) bad press and defections; (e) a basketball arena [or two] in disrepair; and (f) diminished fan interest and crowd size. Along the way we can add train wreck level disasters in football.

Reaction Score
I hope people can appreciate that there are camps in between "We really suck!" and the Lego Movie "Everything is Awesome!" camp. Honestly, I think anyone in either of those camps is a deranged lunatic who should be disregarded entirely.

I would also add that apart from the reality of our performance in recent years, which is brilliant in the context of 2 titles in 7 years and pretty weak in regard to what happened in the other 5 years, is outside perception. Outside perception of where UConn is seems to be significantly worse than the objective reality, presumably based on: (a) loss of a HoF coach; (b) playing in a much weaker conference; (c) some weak seasons under Ollie and zero regular season championships; (d) bad press and defections; (e) a basketball arena [or two] in disrepair; and (f) diminished fan interest and crowd size. Along the way we can add train wreck level disasters in football.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there is an "Everything is Awesome" camp. There is, however, a camp I go to that says that a lot is going wrong at the moment national championships notwithstanding, but you have to take that in the context of the 25 years we had from 90 to the fourth championship and knowing that that some bad things were going to happen to us eventually.

Or, said another way, a camp that recognizes that things going badly has to be viewed with some long term perspective.

Reaction Score
Thing is, Tremont doesn't seem to care at all about 'attractive destination' in the general sense, once Duke/UK/KU are taken off the board. I mean, he decommitted from Georgetown and was considering WKU. That tells you all you need to know.

If WKU hadn't backed off, he might still be considering there, which, as a destination, shouldn't even be in the top 50.

A lot more schools are involved

Reaction Score
If UConn isn't seen as an obviously more attractive destination for top talent than Creighton, that is a big problem that can be laid squarely at the feet of the head coach.

Luckily, if there's one thing we know, it's that teenagers always make straightforward, rational decisions, and their personal opinions are the standard by which objective measurements should be taken.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A lot more schools are involved

I wasn't listing all involved schools, just making a point that this kid is a different egg entirely.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Dude, Diamond Stone was 90 pages. This things hasn't even started yet.

I suppose this is true but didn't that go on for much longer? We haven't even gotten to the crest of this situation. Where is Waters going...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom