Transportation | The Boneyard

Transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are looking to take the train from New Haven or points further west to Grand Central. I have taken the train a few times to Yankee Stadium, but it was always during off peak hours. Do any of you see any issue with parking at the train station in New Haven? I was thinking about driving to Darien and picking up the train there as the difference from my house to Darien is only about 20 minutes longer than New Haven, but the train ride is about an hour less so it would cut the commute down by about 40 minutes. However, my concern is that the trains are going to be full by the time they get to Darien.

Any thoughts?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
We are looking to take the train from New Haven or points further west to Grand Central. I have taken the train a few times to Yankee Stadium, but it was always during off peak hours. Do any of you see any issue with parking at the train station in New Haven? I was thinking about driving to Darien and picking up the train there as the difference from my house to Darien is only about 20 minutes longer than New Haven, but the train ride is about an hour less so it would cut the commute down by about 40 minutes. However, my concern is that the trains are going to be full by the time they get to Darien.

Any thoughts?

If you're willing to go to Darien, I suggest Westport. I leave out of there. Free parking on weekends at the park with the baseball field next door to the train station. Oh and it's safe. Never had a problem there.

Reaction Score
If you're willing to go to Darien, I suggest Westport. I leave out of there. Free parking on weekends at the park with the baseball field next door to the train station. Oh and it's safe. Never had a problem there.

Yeah, but Friday afternoon is not weekend, yet

Depends what time you're leaving. If it is after 5, then you can park for free at Fairfield Metro.

Even if it is before, then it is five or six bucks, and plenty of spots.

Reaction Score

Depends what time you're leaving. If it is after 5, then you can park for free at Fairfield Metro.

Any chance at running into an issue with full trains going to points further west of New Haven? I think we were looking at 330 or so trains out of New Haven. Figuring 2 hours for the ride then about 15 minutes or so to either walk or find a cab to MSG.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
your car will be safe at any stop

Reaction Score
Any chance at running into an issue with full trains going to points further west of New Haven? I think we were looking at 330 or so trains out of New Haven. Figuring 2 hours for the ride then about 15 minutes or so to either walk or find a cab to MSG.

Trains are not too crowded at that time. Certainly there will be an uptick for the game, and the closer you get to NYC , the less seats, but I will be getting on at FFld Metro, and I will not be worried about getting a seat one bit.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

True. Don't remember if I've ever gone on a Friday afternoon. Since I've only gone to Saturday games I usually leave real early Saturday morning to spend a day in the city, but I know you need a commuter sticker for the Westport lot I mentioned during weekdays. Not sure if by 3:00pm on a Friday they'd still be checking.

Reaction Score
True. Don't remember if I've ever gone on a Friday afternoon. Since I've only gone to Saturday games I usually leave real early Saturday morning to spend a day in the city, but I know you need a commuter sticker for the Westport lot I mentioned during weekdays. Not sure if by 3:00pm on a Friday they'd still be checking.

I think in Fairfield after three it is free, but not sure. Even if not, then it's six bucks.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We're planning on driving to Stamford to pick up the train there and aren't concerned about seating either.

Reaction Score
I believe the new station in West Haven has free parking on weekends after 5 pm if you don't feel like driving further. Not much further than New Haven and wayyyy cheaper than parking in the garage.

Reaction Score
Anyone not dropping their cars off in New Haven then running the rest of the way are pu***es. Now be sure to bring 2 smart phones in case one or the other run out of battery as you can't (well you "can") plug them in anywhere and you may blow out a sneaker or something…….best of luck to all of you!

Reaction Score
Milford is an option. Just worried about full lots from people who commute to the city and would be on their way home the same time we are trying to leave to head to the city.

Reaction Score
Drive in...it's faster and you don't have to follow the train schedule. Stay at the Affinia across the street and valet your car with them. Did this with the Big East Tourney many times and it's a home run.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Driving in is a bad idea. I would recommend Fairfield for parking if you live west of New Haven. Do not park in Bridgeport because some of the garages lock up at 11 pm.

Grab a 6, or 12, pack, take the train, and enjoy the ride to GCT. Despite UConn playing at MSG, there will be plenty of seating on the westbound trains after noon on a Friday.

Reaction Score
Driving in is a bad idea. I would recommend Fairfield for parking if you live west of New Haven. Do not park in Bridgeport because some of the garages lock up at 11 pm.

Grab a 6, or 12, pack, take the train, and enjoy the ride to GCT. Despite UConn playing at MSG, there will be plenty of seating on the westbound trains after noon on a Friday.
Are 30 packs not an option? I actually live in Enfield, so my options are fairly open. We plan on coming back after the second game. So like the 1205 train or whatever it is out of GCT.

Reaction Score
I ride the trains every damn day from Westport, and I don't think you will have an issue with crowded trains because you are doing the reverse commute. If you are 1-2 it should be fine for seating, and only becomes a problem when you have a large group.

As for the station, I wouldn't worry so much about the cost of parking. Westport is $5/day and some of the others are free. Your car is safe at any of these stations.

The real issue you need to pay attention to is whether or not you are at an express stop for when you come home from NYC. It will be late and not all trains stop at all locations. To certain places like Greens Farms or Darien, trains may only return every hour, whereas Stamford or Westport or New Haven will afford you more options (more likely on half-hour or 20 min intervals).

Take a look at this link for return trips to different stops and you will soon see that not all stations are the same.

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Kamikaze coolers are required for train transport. This one has handles:

0007707100062_500X500.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Any thoughts?
Technically, this off peak as well. I just saw that Peak = trains arriving at GCT b/t 5:00am and 10 am and leaving b/t 4 pm and 8: 00 pm.

Union Station has a garage and an axillary open lot. There are also garages within a block or two of the station.

Crowds on the trains depends on a number of things including what time you leave. I am planning to take a half day and catching the 1:46 train for the 1:55 ride (Arrive in GCT at 3:41). I think the later the train the more crowded it will be up until game time.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Drive in...it's faster and you don't have to follow the train schedule. Stay at the Affinia across the street and valet your car with them. Did this with the Big East Tourney many times and it's a home run.
Stayed at the Affinia 20 yrs for BE Tournament - couldn't be more convenient

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Milford is an option. Just worried about full lots from people who commute to the city and would be on their way home the same time we are trying to leave to head to the city.
you are on a reverse commute

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Are 30 packs not an option? I actually live in Enfield, so my options are fairly open. We plan on coming back after the second game. So like the 1205 train or whatever it is out of GCT.

If you are coming from Enfield, and just want to party on a train for 2 hours with UConn fans, take a mid-afternoon train from New Haven. There are a few benefits to this:

1) By the time you get to the station in NH, there should be parking in the main garage.
2) You have a shorter drive, and more time to party on the train.
3) You have 2 hours to sober up on the train ride home.
4) You do not run the risk of falling asleep on the way home and sleeping through your stop since New Haven is the end of the line (do not underestimate this as a reason).

If you prefer trains that were made in the last 30 years and don't smell like urine, you can take I84 west to I684 south and park at any of the stations right after you get on 684 (Croton Falls, Goldens Bridge, Purdys, Katonah). The drive is a little longer and the train ride is a little shorter, but the trains are a lot nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom