Transportation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you are coming from Enfield, and just want to party on a train for 2 hours with UConn fans, take a mid-afternoon train from New Haven. There are a few benefits to this:

1) By the time you get to the station in NH, there should be parking in the main garage.
2) You have a shorter drive, and more time to party on the train.
3) You have 2 hours to sober up on the train ride home.
4) You do not run the risk of falling asleep on the way home and sleeping through your stop since New Haven is the end of the line (do not underestimate this as a reason).

If you prefer trains that were made in the last 30 years and don't smell like urine, you can take I84 west to I684 south and park at any of the stations right after you get on 684 (Croton Falls, Goldens Bridge, Purdys, Katonah). The drive is a little longer and the train ride is a little shorter, but the trains are a lot nicer.

LOL, thanks for the advice. Any idea how late the parking garage is open at New Haven?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Stayed at the Affinia 20 yrs for BE Tournament - couldn't be more convenient
Sobering up on the train ride back is a New York City tradition for Central/Eastern Connecticut residents that shant be broken. Though with no beer being sold this trip, the buzz may wear off well beforehand. May have to take surface streets and stop a few places from Penn Station to Grand Central.

On the other hand...MTA Schedule website says that the last train back to Union Station leaves before 11:30pm. Either we miss the best part of MSU/UVA or stay in the City until Saturday Morning...or I'm wrong. I have no problem with the case being a the latter two.

Reaction Score
New cars on NH line are just fine. Many of the trains have them and all will soon. Nice thing for me is 1/2 fare because I'm 65. Went to Myanmar mission to UN last week on non-rush hour train from NH. Parking no problem even at 8:15 a.m. but it was $13 for the day, making it $2.25 more expensive than the one way fare to GCT. Nelson is right about falling asleep, especially with the close draining game that we're all expecting.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If you are coming from Enfield, and just want to party on a train for 2 hours with UConn fans, take a mid-afternoon train from New Haven. There are a few benefits to this:

1) By the time you get to the station in NH, there should be parking in the main garage.
2) You have a shorter drive, and more time to party on the train.
3) You have 2 hours to sober up on the train ride home.
4) You do not run the risk of falling asleep on the way home and sleeping through your stop since New Haven is the end of the line (do not underestimate this as a reason).

#s 3 and 4 are spot on. They are all spot on but the last 2 come into play at a critical time of need.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Stay away from the Stamford train station on Friday. Friday evening they are closing Washington Blvd by the station for the weekend for construction (this will occur for a number of weekends until a pedestrian bridge is finished) so it couold be a nightmare trying to leave when you get back after the game.

Reaction Score
Sobering up on the train ride back is a New York City tradition for Central/Eastern Connecticut residents that shant be broken. Though with no beer being sold this trip, the buzz may wear off well beforehand. May have to take surface streets and stop a few places from Penn Station to Grand Central.

On the other hand...MTA Schedule website says that the last train back to Union Station leaves before 11:30pm. Either we miss the best part of MSU/UVA or stay in the City until Saturday Morning...or I'm wrong. I have no problem with the case being a the latter two.
There are trains after 11:30, I think the last train is 1:30ish, you have to put Saturday's date in the schedule for some reason since it is technically Saturday.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've taken the NYC bound train on Friday afternoons a lot in the past few years, s couple of thoughts:

1) I refuse to pay for parking in New haven, it's a rip off.
2) milford's commuter lots are free after 5 - though I've been there at say 3 and never had an issue.
3) Stratford has a free lot that's maybe a half mile from the train station that I've used a lot as well and never had any issues.
4) if you drive you are an absolute nut job. Friday afternoon traffic from CT to NYC is a bear and parking will damn near cost you your train fare.

Reaction Score
Yea, driving isn't an option for me. West Haven train station sounds like a possibility though. Hope this thread will help a bunch of people out.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for those who have not experienced a UConn night beginning and ending at the affinia.
If u split a room wih a friend it is a 100 or so a man. Not to mention u can get from your seat in the hotel bar to your seat in MSG in about 10 or 15 minutes with a new beer in your hands.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I feel bad for those who have not experienced a UConn night beginning and ending at the affinia.
If u split a room wih a friend it is a 100 or so a man. Not to mention u can get from your seat in the hotel bar to your seat in MSG in about 10 or 15 minutes with a new beer in your hands.

No vacancy at Affinia. I just booked a Holiday Inn Express room just north of GCT for $300 incl. taxes and fees (3 of us are crashing in the City; 1 guy lives in the outer boroughs with his girlfriend, but has a tiny apt. No room for us). Priceline had a few better deals, but I couldn't guarantee accommodations for 3, even though we expect to only catch a few hours sleep. We've not 26 anymore, not even 30.).

FYI-I called MSG and it is confirmed. No beer sales for the East Regional this weekend.

Husky25

Reaction Score
There are trains after 11:30, I think the last train is 1:30ish, you have to put Saturday's date in the schedule for some reason since it is technically Saturday.
They e-mailed me back. There are 3 trains after midnight. 12:07, 1:07, and 1:47. Moot point now. We found a 4th so we are staying in the city overnight.

jho

Reaction Score
Special UConn train added on Friday:
GOV. MALLOY: METRO-NORTH WILL PROVIDE A SPECIAL TRAIN FOR UCONN FANS
NCAA Tournament Friday in Madison Square Garden
(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Dannel P. Malloy today announced that MTA Metro-North Railroad will run a special, extra New Haven Line train on Friday, March 28, to accommodate UConn men’s basketball fans expected to travel to New York City for the NCAA tournament at Madison Square Garden (MSG).
The train will depart New Haven at 4:15 p.m., make a stop in Bridgeport at 4:36 p.m. and arrive in Grand Central Terminal (GCT) at 6:00 p.m. In addition, extra cars will be assigned, as available, to several trains departing New Haven between 2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m., especially the 3:50 p.m. train from New Haven.
“Both UConn Huskies basketball teams are again taking the NCAA tournament by storm and gaining the nation’s attention. There will no doubt be a large contingent of Connecticut fans traveling to New York City to cheer for the men on Friday,” Governor Malloy said. “It’s time to turn MSG into a home game for our Huskies.”
UConn games at MSG have historically drawn big crowds from the Bridgeport and New Haven areas, and many of the fans take Metro-North to the games.
After the game, Metro-North will add cars to New Haven-bound trains, where possible, on trains departing GCT between 9:30 p.m. and 11:22 p.m.
Fans are urged to buy round trip tickets at their boarding station. There will be additional ticket sellers at New Haven on Friday afternoon to handle the expected crowds.
Ridership on Fridays is normally heavy, so UConn fans are urged to avoid taking the 4:21 p.m. departure from New Haven as it has no spare seating capacity and there is no way to add cars to that train.
###

Husky25

Reaction Score
Special UConn train added on Friday:
GOV. MALLOY: METRO-NORTH WILL PROVIDE A SPECIAL TRAIN FOR UCONN FANS
NCAA Tournament Friday in Madison Square Garden
(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Dannel P. Malloy today announced that MTA Metro-North Railroad will run a special, extra New Haven Line train on Friday, March 28, to accommodate UConn men’s basketball fans expected to travel to New York City for the NCAA tournament at Madison Square Garden (MSG).
The train will depart New Haven at 4:15 p.m., make a stop in Bridgeport at 4:36 p.m. and arrive in Grand Central Terminal (GCT) at 6:00 p.m. In addition, extra cars will be assigned, as available, to several trains departing New Haven between 2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m., especially the 3:50 p.m. train from New Haven.
“Both UConn Huskies basketball teams are again taking the NCAA tournament by storm and gaining the nation’s attention. There will no doubt be a large contingent of Connecticut fans traveling to New York City to cheer for the men on Friday,” Governor Malloy said. “It’s time to turn MSG into a home game for our Huskies.”
UConn games at MSG have historically drawn big crowds from the Bridgeport and New Haven areas, and many of the fans take Metro-North to the games.
After the game, Metro-North will add cars to New Haven-bound trains, where possible, on trains departing GCT between 9:30 p.m. and 11:22 p.m.
Fans are urged to buy round trip tickets at their boarding station. There will be additional ticket sellers at New Haven on Friday afternoon to handle the expected crowds.
Ridership on Fridays is normally heavy, so UConn fans are urged to avoid taking the 4:21 p.m. departure from New Haven as it has no spare seating capacity and there is no way to add cars to that train.
###

That's all well and good, but I plan on being on the 1:46 train out of New Haven. BTW At the prices that Session one is currently going for, Is there anyone planning on leaving before game 2?

Reaction Score
That's all well and good, but I plan on being on the 1:46 train out of New Haven. BTW At the prices that Session one is currently going for, Is there anyone planning on leaving before game 2?

You're assuming that there is someone in the Governor's office who actually follows college hoops enough to realize UConn is playing as part of a doubleheader.

For $350 a seat, I'm not walking out on the second game unless it's a blowout.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You're assuming that there is someone in the Governor's office who actually follows college hoops enough to realize UConn is playing as part of a doubleheader.

For $350 a seat, I'm not walking out on the second game unless it's a blowout.
My thoughts exactly, and even then I may not leave.

You waited too long...That's okay so did we. Prices went from $265 to over $300 in the hour after Saturdays game on Stubhub. Ended up pulling the trigger around 1:30am in Section 219 for just over $300. Got a text from my buddy the next morning asking if we really bought tickets last night (Can't lie, it was an vodka influence decision). Now I'm glad we did (...buy tix that is. The booze cause a pretty decent hangover 7 hours later).

Reaction Score

You waited too long...That's okay so did we. Prices went from $265 to over $300 in the hour after Saturdays game on Stubhub. Ended up pulling the trigger around 1:30am in Section 219 for just over $300. Got a text from my buddy the next morning asking if we really bought tickets last night (Can't lie, it was an vodka influence decision). Now I'm glad we did (...buy tix that is. The booze cause a pretty decent hangover 7 hours later).
You are drinking the wrong Vodka. Never been hungover from the stuff. Same with Captain Morgan. Ill drink a gallon and still be able to walk, in a marina nonetheless, where being able to walk is pretty damn important.

Reaction Score

As outrageous as the price is, they have clearly gone up since I bought them on Sunday afternoon. It would take at least $450 to buy seats comparable to what I got (without waiting for the last minute price reductions which I don't have the time or patience for). And I was o.k. paying an extra $75 to get decent seats on the sideline at that point.

But when my 26 year old made clear he would pay for his own ticket, he just needed me to go on line and take care of it, there isn't bigger proof than that as to how big the event is.

Reaction Score
I needed 3 consecutive seats which were pretty difficult to find. I got mine in Section 419 for 431 Sunday afternoon. I checked today using the same search parameters and there are no longer tickets in the 400 section. The next best thing is in 317 for $697. From there is jumps to $890. These prices are for full strips.

Reaction Score
Darien would be a good spot. Never overly crowded and free parking. Train ride from there to GCT isn't bad either.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You are drinking the wrong Vodka. Never been hungover from the stuff. Same with Captain Morgan. Ill drink a gallon and still be able to walk, in a marina nonetheless, where being able to walk is pretty damn important.
It may have just been that I was woke up too early by my 20 month old, but I'm positive I had a headache and dry mouth. Vodka doesn't upset my stomach or give as much of a headache the morning after like beer does.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I live in Shelton. Where should I take the train from assuming I'll stay for the second game? It would be great to meet up with Boneyarders on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom