Transgender HS athletes win All-State honors in women's track | The Boneyard

Transgender HS athletes win All-State honors in women's track

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Starting this thread mainly to get some "non-political" thoughts.
A HS athletes born male but identifying as female were given permission to compete in women's events in HS track and field in Alaska. The outcome was somewhat predictable with the transgender athletes winning All-State honors in women's track. Could women's basketball be next?
High School Boy Wins All-State Honors In Girls Track And Field
Personally, I'm very supportive of the ability for every child to have an opportunity to compete, but much more supportive of fairness in the competition. I would not support this decision because I believe it to be unfair on the basis of biology.
What say you?

Reaction Score
A HS athletes born male but identifying as female were given permission to compete in women's events in HS track and field in Alaska. The outcome was somewhat predictable with the transgender athletes winning All-State honors in women's track. Could women's basketball be next?
Personally, I'm very supportive of the ability for every child to have an opportunity to compete, but much more supportive of fairness in the competition. I would not support this decision because I believe it to be unfair on the basis of biology.
What say you?
I agree.

Reaction Score
What say you?

I agree as well.

I don't have any daughters, but if I did, I would be very upset knowing that she had to compete against "boys" in a girls specific event.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have a question. If women track athletes took testosterone would that be doping? I ask because:

"Elite female track and field athletes, who naturally produce above-normal amounts of testosterone, received disheartening news Thursday. To be eligible to race in future international competitions, they could be forced to take medication to lower their testosterone levels or, if they don’t want to alter their body’s chemistry, compete against men.

The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) announcednew regulations that could prevent female athletes who have a condition called hyperandrogenism from competing in events ranging from 400 meters to the mile unless they reduce their blood testosterone level by taking hormonal contraceptives, such as birth control"

Women with elevated levels of testosterone, amounts between five and 10 nanomoles per liter, are believed to have a competitive advantage, as studies show they have a 4.4 percent increase in muscle mass, a 12 to 26 percent increase in muscle strength and a 7.8 percent increase in hemoglobin, which transports oxygen to red blood cells, according to IAAF documents."

Female athletes with naturally high testosterone levels face hurdles under new IAAF rules

"It’s no secret that women athletes have widely abused male hormones (androgens) over the past few decades, say the researchers. Of 296 elite athletes serving a doping ban as of December 2016 under IAAF rules, 116 were women, 64 of whom had tested positive for androgens."

Naturally produced testosterone gives female athletes "significant" competitive edge | BMJ

What you call yourself should have nothing to do with fairness and common sense in sports.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
We’ll be seeing more and more of this unless people come up with rules that prevent born males competing as females. Another example is Tiffany Abreu, who is a transfemale (not sure if that’s the right term...born male, now is female) volleyball player in Brazil. As a male she was a low/mid level pro player and at 33 she is now dominating one of the best women’s leagues in the world. Every team in her league petitioned that she shouldn’t be able to compete, last I heard she’s still competing and breaking records.

Another example is trans MMA fighter Fallon Fox who significantly injured an opponent during a fight.

I’m all for equality and not excluding trans people, but born men have different physical abilities than individuals who are born women and it just isn’t fair for trans females to compete with women who were born female. I don’t know what the perfect solution is or if one exists, but the issue needs to be addressed sooner than later.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is an extremely complex question. World and Olympic 800 meter champion, Caster Semenya from South Africa has a higher than normal level of testosterone. It’s a condition known as DSD. In all other biological ways, Semenya is a woman. The question for the IAAF was does Semenya’s higher testosterone level make her a man, or is it simply a god given advantage like size, speed or athleticism. In the end, the IAAF ruled that Semenya is a woman and she was allowed to compete as a woman.

I also seem to recall another woman’s track athlete from either Poland or Czechoslovakia who competed in the Olympics many years ago and won a couple gold medals. As I recall, she had an extra chromosome. She too was allowed to compete as a woman.

I guess we could say it’s unfair, but these women did not ask to be born with these conditions, and asking them to compete as men would certainly be unfair.

Reaction Score
What say you?

I can't believe it, wait for it.. I agree with you 100%.
This world is changing profoundly and fast! Did you see there will no longer be a swim suit portion of the Miss America Pageant because its sexist??!! I mean really? Participation trophies, heightened PC, IMHO its just all going a bit too far.

Reaction Score
There should have 3 events,
Boy event, Girl event, Whatever else belongs to event.
Sad but true...My main curiosity is at what age does a child know they want to be a different sex? Before they are a freshman??? At what age does a parent agree this is the proper path in life???
What is happening as far as sports competition is VERY unfair...

Last edited by a moderator:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I can't believe it, wait for it.. I agree with you 100%.
This world is changing profoundly and fast! Did you see there will no longer be a swim suit portion of the Miss America Pageant because its sexist??!! I mean really? Participation trophies, heightened PC, IMHO its just all going a bit too far.
Swimsuit competitions are gross and degrading. It's not going too far, it's probably not far enough.

Reaction Score
Swimsuit competitions are gross and degrading. It's not going too far, it's probably not far enough.[/QUOTE
Swimsuit competitions are gross and degrading. It's not going too far, it's probably not far enough.

They should probably just get rid of the whole thing. And there are certainly better ways to give out scholarship money to young women than having them parade around in evening gowns, and watch them attempt to answer complex questions about major policy and social issues, which policymakers struggle with for years, on the fly and in a matter of seconds.

Regarding degrading - I guess degrading gets big ratings. The bachelor has been on for years.

Reaction Score
I believe this subject was discussed in a past thread. What I remarked back then was that this was opening a big can of worms. Also it something wasn't done it would end up ruining every advance made through Title Nine and totally ruin women's sports. People just do not seem to consider the consequence of precedence. If what you were when you were born doesn't matter, why should the date you were born matter as well. The consequences are endless.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
I saw this issue happen with a friend of mine a few years ago. She plays in senior wbb games. they won national championships about 6 years ago. the following year they played a team out around the rocky mountains. 2 of the players were transgender and she told me both played college basketball (did not say division) as male.

They not only got beat bad on the court, but physically pretty banged up as well.

Will be very interesting to see how all of this moves along in the next couple of decades.

The old Olympic Story. I believe you are referring to around 1934. the US had a runner named Helen Stephens. She was the fastest runner around and many believed she was a man in fact the current world champion from Poland. Helen, of what i remember reading had to prove she was a woman. which, she was. She actually went on to become an All American Red Heads for a season.

However, and very ironically, the Poland woman world champion ending up dying in a tragic way. Upon autopsy, it was found out, she had the anatomy of a man.

there is a book on Helen and pretty interesting reading time piece

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree with most who make the point that it is patently unfair for transgender athletes who are born as males and either have surgery to become women or simply identify as women to then compete as women.

But that does not address the numerous instances where some physiological condition from birth, either high testosterone levels, an extra chromosome or some other condition, create an individual like Caster Semenya with a natural physiological advantage over other female athletes, but not over male athletes.

In such instances, there are several difficult choices: let the athlete who in every other way identifies as a woman, compete as a woman, or deny her that opportunity, forcing her to compete where she is physically overmatched against men, or more likely, denying her the opportunity to compete.

Reaction Score
What say you?
It is not fair to the other athletes...enuf.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
A side issue here: in some states....like Massachusetts....if there is no girls' team in a sport the MIAA requires that a girl must be allowed to be on the boys' team. No tennis team for girls....she must be allowed to at least try out for the boys' team...presumably make or not based on ability.
Articles have shown that all kinds of folks applaud when the girl does something well...kick a field goal for the football team etc. In fact it is a nice warm and fuzzy story.

Of course the rule also goes the other way. No boys' tennis team...he must be allowed to try out for the girls team. Why? Because the MIAA says so. The same folks who applaud the girl playing football tend to castigate a boy playing field hockey.

A few years ago Springfield Central didn't have enough boys for a tennis team...one guy made the previously all-girl team. I remember that his teammates seemed to accept him. He was good not fantastic. The team made the state tourney....in part thanks to his fine play. In the lead-up to the tourney the MIAA said that he couldn't play....period. Wouldn't be fair. Central objected....they had been forced to include the boy by that same organization. The MIAA said that if they insisted on including him the team would have to play in the boys' division. Of course they hadn't qualified for that division and in fact hadn't played a boys' team all year long.

Good intentions by the MIAA? Highly probable. Leading to absurdity....no doubt.

The Ct. high school association allows a transgender girl to compete on girls' teams with the SOLE requirement that the kid announce her self identity as a girl. That would take huge guts....imo....but to me it just isn't sufficient or fair to other members of that team or their opponents.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A side issue here: in some states....like Massachusetts....if there is no girls' team in a sport the MIAA requires that a girl must be allowed to be on the boys' team. No tennis team for girls....she must be allowed to at least try out for the boys' team...presumably make or not based on ability.
Articles have shown that all kinds of folks applaud when the girl does something well...kick a field goal for the football team etc. In fact it is a nice warm and fuzzy story.

Of course the rule also goes the other way. No boys' tennis team...he must be allowed to try out for the girls team. Why? Because the MIAA says so. The same folks who applaud the girl playing football tend to castigate a boy playing field hockey.

A few years ago Springfield Central didn't have enough boys for a tennis team...one guy made the previously all-girl team. I remember that his teammates seemed to accept him. He was good not fantastic. The team made the state tourney....in part thanks to his fine play. In the lead-up to the tourney the MIAA said that he couldn't play....period. Wouldn't be fair. Central objected....they had been forced to include the boy by that same organization. The MIAA said that if they insisted on including him the team would have to play in the boys' division. Of course they hadn't qualified for that division and in fact hadn't played a boys' team all year long.

Good intentions by the MIAA? Highly probable. Leading to absurdity....no doubt.

The Ct. high school association allows a transgender girl to compete on girls' teams with the SOLE requirement that the kid announce her self identity as a girl. That would take huge guts....imo....but to me it just isn't sufficient or fair to other members of that team or their opponents.

Boys for the most part are biologically taller, stronger, faster, and overall more athletic than their female counterparts. Considering almost all sports require some sort of physical ability, it’s unfair to mix the two when 1 biologically has an advantage over the other. Being a bio female playing against men is usually an uphill battle while being a bio male playing against females is not.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think if a bb player, such as LeBron, was to admit that he/she identified as a female and signed a contract with a WNBA team, that would not be a good thing. But could it happen?
Or what would have happened if Bruce Jenner had come out in his pre Olympic days? Would he have been allowed to compete against female athletes?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom