Transfers - Outbound (Part Duex) | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (Part Duex)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I were a betting man, my bet would be that you’ll see some players who were buried by the old coaching regime for things like personality differences with a coach or other non-performance reasons, even pure stubbornness and they definitely played favorites. Just read over this forum and you will see those comments over and over. Guess we will see.

Reaction Score
where these kids are going really says a lot about what kinda talent this team had. Minus Uguak to TCU and Jones to the NFL, most of the team was FCS talent, or not even able to be picked up by any D1 program.

Maybe you have a church choir sized mob eager to hear you say FCS about departing players, but I don't. Kids fought this year honorably in a frigging impossible challenge. Most of the remaining players were evaluated rigorously by Mora and deemed a core group going forward. We all recognize how Edsall chose players (and it might be wholly anachronistic today). But I don't feel its right to kick someone as they're exiting.

Second. Positioning. The Portal seems to work great for seasoned Offensive Linemen and, to a smidge less, for Defensive Line. Some positions don't get prioritized. If these kids want to play this coming fall, I hope they go to Bryant or UNH or Merrimack or wherever. I want the UCONN team going forward to rise like a decade ago and get drafted; go be college coaches.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not sure why you take the statement personally pudge. Facts are just… facts. Most HS football players aren’t FBS caliber, surely that’s just a fact we all agree on? No one said anything about their efforts.

Reaction Score
Not sure why you take the statement personally pudge. Facts are just… facts. Most HS football players aren’t FBS caliber, surely that’s just a fact we all agree on? No one said anything about their efforts.
yeah no hate to the kids at all. I interacted with a lot of them throughout the season. I meant more to show that Edsall had put together a team that isn't even close to worthy of participating in FBS.

Reaction Score
where these kids are going really says a lot about what kinda talent this team had. Minus Uguak to TCU and Jones to the NFL, most of the team was FCS talent, or not even able to be picked up by any D1 program.
Walker to Buffalo and Lucien to Vanderbilt.

It’s a bit more nuanced than that. Most of the kids that entered the portal from UConn weren’t starters and didn’t get much playing time. Unfortunately when you put out a tape full of special teams highlights it’s tough to get picked up whether you have talent or not. Also most portal sharks want players to early enroll to get a jump start on the playbook and to participate in Spring ball. I know of at least one player in the portal that hasn’t found a home yet who was sought after by USF but they wanted him early and he couldn’t since he has one semester left to graduate.
There are enough players in the portal that can matriculate early for these schools to not waste their time on a player who can’t help immediately

Reaction Score

How is that a FACT? It's not provable in any way. We are going to argue FCS recruits for the next decade. Do you know why? Because the Northeast (count 9 states ... and it doesn't get better if you add PA, MD, DE) has like 8 Universities in FBS; all our peer Universities (prestige Northeast + New England) play FCS. By definition, a disproportionately large number of the D1 talent qualified in a big demo slice plays FCS.

Alabama & North Carolina have 8 FBS programs apiece. I think you guys just like to denigrate kids over the last decade. We sucked for a lot of reasons. Professional coaches making millions could not develop a winning Program: that's where my scorn is targeted. Not kids.

FCS caliber does not mean what you are stating.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I referred to FBS not FCS, and total HS players > total FBS players, not sure what you are even arguing. The kids played hard but we had more than our fair share of reaches/borderline FBS talent. Good luck to them wherever they land.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
How is that a FACT? It's not provable in any way.
How many high school football players are there in the country? How many FBS football players are there in the country? What percentage of high school football players play at the FBS level?

Most high school football players do not play at the FBS level. Provable fact.

Reaction Score
Merely this. I understand demographics and markets. You throw shadow over about 12 states by saying players are FCS or FBS. The disproportionate number of FBS University programs in some states proves that argument totally false. Even with less participation in New England or Upstate/NYC ... you are still left with solid talented kids that go FCS because that's what the geography says. There aren't significantly more players better in Alabama to fill 8 FBS programs. Your provable fact is meaningless. In New England, New York and New Jersey, there are 44 million people. 5 million in Alabama.

Our region is filling 8 FBS programs (one of which shouldn't count - Army) with 9 times more people than fill the FBS state of Alabama. Logic tells you ... the talented kids from our high schools, prep, etc go to FCS top level. Even if you opine the southern states kids are just better athletically or better trained year round.

Reaction Score
I forget the exact data but per capita, CT within the past half dozen years was in the top 10-12 in terms of producing D1 football players. NJ is up there as well. Just a way of saying good players can and do come from everywhere; not just down south, out west, or from within the rust belt.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Merely this. I understand demographics and markets. You throw shadow over about 12 states by saying players are FCS or FBS. The disproportionate number of FBS University programs in some states proves that argument totally false. Even with less participation in New England or Upstate/NYC ... you are still left with solid talented kids that go FCS because that's what the geography says. There aren't significantly more players better in Alabama to fill 8 FBS programs. Your provable fact is meaningless. In New England, New York and New Jersey, there are 44 million people. 5 million in Alabama.

Our region is filling 8 FBS programs (one of which shouldn't count - Army) with 9 times more people than fill the FBS state of Alabama. Logic tells you ... the talented kids from our high schools, prep, etc go to FCS top level. Even if you opine the southern states kids are just better athletically or better trained year round.
The percentage of high school football players that go on to play FBS has nothing to do with the population of different states, or what regions might produce more talent.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How is that a FACT? It's not provable in any way. We are going to argue FCS recruits for the next decade. Do you know why? Because the Northeast (count 9 states ... and it doesn't get better if you add PA, MD, DE) has like 8 Universities in FBS; all our peer Universities (prestige Northeast + New England) play FCS. By definition, a disproportionately large number of the D1 talent qualified in a big demo slice plays FCS.

Alabama & North Carolina have 8 FBS programs apiece. I think you guys just like to denigrate kids over the last decade. We sucked for a lot of reasons. Professional coaches making millions could not develop a winning Program: that's where my scorn is targeted. Not kids.

FCS caliber does not mean what you are stating.

Out of curiosity what are the 8 FBS universities in Alabama?

Reaction Score
6 if you count North Alabama
As of the 2021–22 academic year, North Alabama is in the fourth year of a four-year transition to Division I and will become an active Division I member in 2022–23.

Reaction Score
Why do you introduce facts to counter an otherwise solid argument? Especially one going nowhere?

Reaction Score
There are 10 total D1 programs in Alabama; 6 FBS and 4 FCS. North Alabama isn't moving to FBS.. but Jacksonville State is.

FCS (4): North Alabama, Alabama State, Alabama A&M, Samford
FBS (6): Auburn, Alabama, Troy, South Alabama, Jacksonville State, UAB

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There are 10 total D1 programs in Alabama; 6 FBS and 4 FCS. North Alabama isn't moving to FBS.. but Jacksonville State is.

FCS (4): North Alabama, Alabama State, Alabama A&M, Samford
FBS (6): Auburn, Alabama, Troy, South Alabama, Jacksonville State, UAB

And there aren't 8 in North Carolina either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom