Transfers - Outbound (Part Duex) | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (Part Duex)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The percentage of high school football players that go on to play FBS has nothing to do with the population of different states, or what regions might produce more talent.
I would never want you to be a business partner. You don't understand demographics, statistics or markets

Reaction Score
There are 10 total D1 programs in Alabama; 6 FBS and 4 FCS. North Alabama isn't moving to FBS.. but Jacksonville State is.

FCS (4): North Alabama, Alabama State, Alabama A&M, Samford
FBS (6): Auburn, Alabama, Troy, South Alabama, Jacksonville State, UAB

Hyperbolic me. But the truth: NC has 7 (UNC, NC State, Duke, WF, ECU, Charlotte, App State then Elon, etc etc). We act like there is some huge variance in FCS FBS when the fact is we have a very imbalanced supply and demand market. Particularly when a kid decides he doesn't or can't be in the top Power 5 (with lots of advantages getting $30-55m per year by conference). I think a good 3 star or 2 star is not dropping far by going to Villanova versus going to ECU. In quality of experience.

Reaction Score
Hyperbolic me. But the truth: NC has 7 (UNC, NC State, Duke, WF, ECU, Charlotte, App State then Elon, etc etc). We act like there is some huge variance in FCS FBS when the fact is we have a very imbalanced supply and demand market. Particularly when a kid decides he doesn't or can't be in the top Power 5 (with lots of advantages getting $30-55m per year by conference). I think a good 3 star or 2 star is not dropping far by going to Villanova versus going to ECU. In quality of experience.
f13ac3b3e04642c14d7d41dfe8d7f8f8.jpg

Been to both places. Dowdy was at about 80-85% capacity when I attended. I would disagree.

Reaction Score
UConn's Record from 2011-2021 is 31-90. You can argue anything you like about coaching, offensive/defensive philosophy, S&C, or whatever else, but at the end of the day the lack of overall team talent is the most obvious factor in this W/L Record. Its not degrading to say that certain kids are not athletically gifted enough to play FBS Football. It doesn't make them bad students, athletes, or people. It just points out what people already know.

If you've not seen this on the field over the last decade+ of play then you are probably a homer to the point that you will believe something contrary to the facts presented. When the overwhelming majority of a team has primarily FCS or low G5 Offers you have an FCS or low G5 Team. Now some of these kids were certainly overlooked in their recruitment. A number of them developed into legit FBS Contributors, with some even making it all the way to the NFL. However these types of kids were the exception not the rule over the last decade.

There's a reason that Uconn was in 4 quarter games with Yale and Wagner over the last 2 seasons and its not because they were entirely outcoached. Mora needs to fix recruiting first and foremost or nothing else matters. He's not running a gimmick offense like The Triple Option or Run and Shoot so he can't necessarily mask talent deficiencies with scheme. He needs to get a foundation of kids with G5 and some low P5 Offer sheets out of HS. He needs to supplement that by utilizing the portal not for D2 QBs like FHCRE but for P5 Kids stepping down in competition, or competitive G5 Kids looking to move closer to home. Its not too late to get things right.

Reaction Score
f13ac3b3e04642c14d7d41dfe8d7f8f8.jpg

Been to both places. Dowdy was at about 80-85% capacity when I attended. I would disagree.
carefully worded.

Quality of Experience. O is it just me: I would rather be in proximity to Philadelphia than Greenville NC; in Villanova PA than near the ECU campus; to be near the Philly, NYC and northeast job base than not; to learn with a far higher achieving class than not; to play where my parents could see me every darn game. And coaching? I dunno. There is a gap from UAlbany to UConn; from ECU to FCS. However, some schools like Villanova have guys who just coach/teach for decades because ... see ABOVE.

Reaction Score
UConn's Record from 2011-2021 is 31-90. You can argue anything you like about coaching, offensive/defensive philosophy, S&C, or whatever else, but at the end of the day the lack of overall team talent is the most obvious factor in this W/L Record. Its not degrading to say that certain kids are not athletically gifted enough to play FBS Football. It doesn't make them bad students, athletes, or people. It just points out what people already know.

If you've not seen this on the field over the last decade+ of play then you are probably a homer to the point that you will believe something contrary to the facts presented. When the overwhelming majority of a team has primarily FCS or low G5 Offers you have an FCS or low G5 Team. Now some of these kids were certainly overlooked in their recruitment. A number of them developed into legit FBS Contributors, with some even making it all the way to the NFL. However these types of kids were the exception not the rule over the last decade.

There's a reason that Uconn was in 4 quarter games with Yale and Wagner over the last 2 seasons and its not because they were entirely outcoached. Mora needs to fix recruiting first and foremost or nothing else matters. He's not running a gimmick offense like The Triple Option or Run and Shoot so he can't necessarily mask talent deficiencies with scheme. He needs to get a foundation of kids with G5 and some low P5 Offer sheets out of HS. He needs to supplement that by utilizing the portal not for D2 QBs like FHCRE but for P5 Kids stepping down in competition, or competitive G5 Kids looking to move closer to home. Its not too late to get things right.

I don't wholly disagree; you make your points well.

However, Paul Pasqualoni & Bob Diaco & Randy Edsall failed. Huge. Even after a long long period of success and bowls, PP could not infuse talent to - what many of us think - was a darn solid roster. He played Johnny McEntee - for what reasoning. We had massive failure to take a Program as the CEO and hire the right guys and to form the right depth at key positions and to run a modern offense and defense. He hired George DeLeone. Damn. Diaco and his cranberry pants. Edsall and his blame others. We ran the gamut. BTW. Maybe we would debate for a week whether the way HCRE ran the UCONN football program from 2002-2010 could be replicated today. But WE are still a Development Program. You have to be great at identifying talent that is top athletically and can grow into great positional production. We don't naturally outsell BC or Rutgers.

I don't think Edsall 2.0 was wholly lacking in talent to 1.0. I just don't. Somehow, a OLine that had probably zero guys who would get a P5 offer in 2004 were solid. The right OLine coach molding a unit. Edsall had years to work his laboratory.

What we see in Mora ... and we all say the same thing - we haven't seen a game yet ... is a Modern Professionally run college structure. A philosophy and culture that makes sense. Recruiting follows that implementation. He did great from ground Zero to 60 days. That isn't easy ever. But the layers and talent in his staff hires and the theme of who he hired ... to me that is clear.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don't wholly disagree; you make your points well.

However, Paul Pasqualoni & Bob Diaco & Randy Edsall failed. Huge. Even after a long long period of success and bowls, PP could not infuse talent to - what many of us think - was a darn solid roster. He played Johnny McEntee - for what reasoning. We had massive failure to take a Program as the CEO and hire the right guys and to form the right depth at key positions and to run a modern offense and defense. He hired George DeLeone. Damn. Diaco and his cranberry pants. Edsall and his blame others. We ran the gamut. BTW. Maybe we would debate for a week whether the way HCRE ran the UCONN football program from 2002-2010 could be replicated today. But WE are still a Development Program. You have to be great at identifying talent that is top athletically and can grow into great positional production. We don't naturally outsell BC or Rutgers.

I don't think Edsall 2.0 was wholly lacking in talent to 1.0. I just don't. Somehow, a OLine that had probably zero guys who would get a P5 offer in 2004 were solid. The right OLine coach molding a unit. Edsall had years to work his laboratory.

What we see in Mora ... and we all say the same thing - we haven't seen a game yet ... is a Modern Professionally run college structure. A philosophy and culture that makes sense. Recruiting follows that implementation. He did great from ground Zero to 60 days. That isn't easy ever. But the layers and talent in his staff hires and the theme of who he hired ... to me that is clear.
To me the biggest difference on field between RE V1 and RE V2 was coaching. Mike Foley was a GREAT OL coach. Giufre sucked. The past years team had really good skilled position guys. Not superstar but you could win with these guys. The O line wasn't coach well and neither was the QB position and that kills you right there.

The D was serviceable and you have one guy who will be making some good coin pretty shortly in the NFL. So you can't say it was the talent. It just wasn't coached right and it showed on the field.

Is there room for talent upgrades, yes. But we didn't coach what we had correctly and now we will see if Mora and his young assistants can do a better job of communicating, game planning and winning.

Reaction Score
Agree with much of this and I think with the changing of the transfer portal rules, there are going to be some borderline P5 type players that decide to go lower P5/Independent (cough, cough UConn)/FCS with the idea that they can prove themselves and perhaps transfer up to high/higher P5 (there sure will be lots of churn going up and down the food chain).

Reaction Score

Have you watched any of the games? UConn ran the most vanilla offense in country. And amazingly the defense was less innovative. Pasqualoni had a losing record with 12 future NFL players on his roster. Plenty of talent has come through the program. What is true is we haven't had the kind of trancendent player that can elevate a team. And then there was the Edsall rerun, who didn't think he could use the transfer portal to shore up weak areas. A true idiot. Even so, we had more than enough to beat Holy Cross.

Reaction Score
Have you watched any of the games? UConn ran the most vanilla offense in country. And amazingly the defense was less innovative. Pasqualoni had a losing record with 12 future NFL players on his roster. Plenty of talent has come through the program. What is true is we haven't had the kind of trancendent player that can elevate a team. And then there was the Edsall rerun, who didn't think he could use the transfer portal to shore up weak areas. A true idiot. Even so, we had more than enough to beat Holy Cross.
If UConn had a competent offense over the past 7 years, we would have seen more wins. Neither Diaco nor Edsall 2.0 could recruit good QBs (I think Steven Krajewski is an exception) and Edsall made a major blunder in trying to have the OL coach also be the OC even though he had no experience as an OC. UConn desperately needed an OL coach to focus on the OL over the past few years.

Reaction Score
If UConn had a competent offense over the past 7 years, we would have seen more wins. Neither Diaco nor Edsall 2.0 could recruit good QBs (I think Steven Krajewski is an exception) and Edsall made a major blunder in trying to have the OL coach also be the OC even though he had no experience as an OC. UConn desperately needed an OL coach to focus on the OL over the past few years.
Pindell was good.

While better coaching would have led to a few more wins in recent past, we all know we need upgrades on roster, on staff and in leadership roles at U. We addressed one. We seem to be addressing another. The leadership in storrs is clueless. Look forward boys, there’s little good you will find looking back.

Reaction Score
We get excited or anxious for any new QB recruit. Some are better than expected but many fall short. I don’t care about his stats or throwing mechanics. Tyler Phommachanh is a leader and can move the offense.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
We get excited or anxious for any new QB recruit. Some are better than expected but many fall short. I don’t care about his stats or throwing mechanics. Tyler Phommachanh is a leader and can move the offense.
Puerto Rican Drums GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Yes, sir.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Bryant Shireffs was the best overall qb we have had in the last 10 yrs or so. Pindell was a great athlete and runner but not a great passer. Whitmer was ok and I can't think of anyone else who is worth mentioning.

Reaction Score
How abou that guy from CT who is now in the NFL. His time here is still a head scratcher for me.

Reaction Score
carefully worded.

Quality of Experience. O is it just me: I would rather be in proximity to Philadelphia than Greenville NC; in Villanova PA than near the ECU campus; to be near the Philly, NYC and northeast job base than not; to learn with a far higher achieving class than not; to play where my parents could see me every darn game. And coaching? I dunno. There is a gap from UAlbany to UConn; from ECU to FCS. However, some schools like Villanova have guys who just coach/teach for decades because ... see ABOVE.
Interesting you bringing up Villanova Pudge. I dont recall that we have recruited against them in football? We have recruited against, had kids transferred to and offered through the portal, kids from the academies, Ivy, CAA NEC and Patriot but dont recall the name Villanova in those discussions.

Reaction Score
Bryant Shireffs was the best overall qb we have had in the last 10 yrs or so. Pindell was a great athlete and runner but not a great passer. Whitmer was ok and I can't think of anyone else who is worth mentioning.
Cochran would have been the best if he didn't have to hang up the cleats. Agree that Shireffs is the best we've had.

Reaction Score
Maybe he actually was one of our better up and coming OL that never got a shot after all
It kind of shows that our roster is not full of FCS talent like some people believe. I truly believe Edsall recruited a lot better quality roster than the previous head coach before but because he put a lackluster coaching staff, it affected the development of many players, but some will say otherwise that our players are not FBS caliber.

Reaction Score
UConn NCAA Transfer Portal Transfers to date:

2022 Transfer Portal Cycle (8/1/21> 7/31/22)

DB Shamel Lazarus>Stony Brook
LB Dillon Harris
TE Jayce Medlock>Alabama State
DB Jeremy Lucien>Vanderbilt
QB Jack Zergiotis>Merrimack College
OL Femi Sakiri>Abilene Christian University
DL Justin Moore
WR Cam Hairston
OL Sidney Walker>Buffalo
DB Jalon Ferrell
DB Terrance GanyI
DL Pierce DeVaughn>New Hampshire
RB Kevin Mensah>Declared for NFL Draft
DB Diamond Harrell
WR Heron Maurisseau
LS Kevin Cahill
DL Lwal Uguak>TCU
DB Malik Banks
WR Elijah Jeffreys
OL Robbie Rochester>TCU
QB Micah Leon
Interesting that so few kids in the portal get P5 offers yet we have 3 guys going P5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom