Transfers - Outbound (Part Duex) | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Transfers - Outbound (Part Duex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Good luck to Leon. Does his departure open a scholarship, or was it effectively filled by a QB offer? @Exit 4 , others?
Already had him as not returning. So no, it doesn't add a scholarship.

With Robby Rochester departing we are at 84 (also assumes Cale Millen arrives in summer), leaving us one under the max.

Reaction Score
I hope he finds a good landing spot. Must’ve seen the writing on the wall. Good luck to the man.
Leon was honored on Senior Day so he should be graduating. It appears he still has eligibility and he still wants to play.

Reaction Score
My goodness, a kid like Micah could be 25 and still in college. Covid is making a lot of CFB rosters look like that of BYU

Reaction Score
Justin Moore is in this video. So guess he’s staying?

Interesting if that is him. All of the names on Medics portal list have been removed from Uconn's 2022 roster except Moore (#68) who entered it Nov. 30 and Jeffreys (#14) who only announced last week. Though Rochester's (#77) name is off and he entered the portal on the same day as Jeffreys.

2022 Football Roster - University of Connecticut Athletics

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Those numbers are fascinating. What happens to the kids who don’t get pulled out of the portal? Is entering the portal a de facto renouncement of your scholarship? Or is it just the case that if you’ve indicated you wanted to leave school, coaches are unlikely to renew your scholarship? I wonder if these numbers will dissuade some kids from entering?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Those numbers are fascinating. What happens to the kids who don’t get pulled out of the portal? Is entering the portal a de facto renouncement of your scholarship? Or is it just the case that if you’ve indicated you wanted to leave school, coaches are unlikely to renew your scholarship? I wonder if these numbers will dissuade some kids from entering?
I believe when you enter the portal you lose your scholarship at the end of the current semester. This is why some kids that where known to be not returning back in December opted to wait until returning to campus in January before entering the portal. I suppose its possible however that a school could be nice and keep kids that entered the portal back in November/December on scholarship through year end - particularly if that is what is needed to graduate. I suspect some of the kids that entered at the end of last season and need this spring to finish school are still on scholarship regardless.

I think one aspect of the portal that has been completely missed is the fact that prior to the portal most kids that exited a program early in the past sort of disappeared and for the most part that wasn't considered unusual. Collegiate sports are inherently challenging and of course there will be natural attrition for a variety of reasons; academics, competition, behavior issues, family reasons, injuries and perhaps the most overlooked; disinterest (ie quitting because its not fun anymore). But now instead of mostly disappearing on the down low all these kids are encouraged to tag the portal on their way out of town to keep their options open. The reality is that a sizable number of kids in the portal aren't really interested or academically eligible to continue playing anywhere in D1. I know of at least one kid in the UConn football outbound portal that isn't academically eligible to play D1 anymore (and hasn't announced any offers which is no surprise)....surely there are others. I'm sure there are others that are in the portal with a 1/2 heart unsure if they really want to grind anymore at any level. People change in college, including athletes. In the past kids just left programs and w/o social media and robust websites there was no one bothering to track it all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was originally worried about the portal when it first came about but I think it has the potential to be a huge plus for UConn. If the program gets turned around by Mora UConn becomes a very attractive option for a player at a top school who sees the handwriting on the wall regarding starting/playing time. Plenty of national media exposure, power 5 facilities in all sports, multiple nationally ranked programs (MBB,WBB,Hockey, Baseball-not yet but close and will get there), and a highly ranked public university are all impressive, enticing reasons to come here. With a challenging recruiting situation due to geography the portal opens up a huge pool of players that never existed for the school. UConn's chances for real success are much better with the portal than without.

Reaction Score
where these kids are going really says a lot about what kinda talent this team had. Minus Uguak to TCU and Jones to the NFL, most of the team was FCS talent, or not even able to be picked up by any D1 program.

Reaction Score
where these kids are going really says a lot about what kinda talent this team had. Minus Uguak to TCU and Jones to the NFL, most of the team was FCS talent, or not even able to be picked up by any D1 program.
Well, these are the players that had little to no impact and/or were recruited over after they got here. Not sure why this is unexpected. Just look at the percentage of portal transfers from the P5 programs and their majority transferred to lower rung programs. Just makes sense, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom