Transfer thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Taya Reimer tweeted 1 hour ago that she will be enrolling at Michigan State
I wish Taya all the best in the world--even the ND world--she is and was one of the best posts --she developed into a very good post/forward. Nothing she did while playing against Uconn was less that good/very good.

Reaction Score
I happen to think that Butler will be a much improved player next season but that doesn't preclude my interest in securing Azura Stevens for 2017/2018. If you look at most of the top teams heading into next season, they each have a minimum of three post players on their rosters that will get some playing time. UConn will have just one true post player and will be seriously undersized against much of their better competition. I realize that Geno is a master tactician and will figure out ways to nullify this size advantage but it would sure be nice to have prove 6'4' big who can play inside and out.....

I don't think wanting another Big (even Stevens) is an insult to Natalie!! I too think Natalie will return next fall a bit thiner, and with a passion to play defense and will increase her range with a 3 ball shot. She has so many pluses, and her up side is huge--what she needs is lots of Div1 PT, maybe some USA, or Pan Am to exercise her talents. Charlieball--thank you for seeing the plus side of both these talented women!!!!

Reaction Score
wow - some of you folks are so ready to throw Natalie Butler under the bus (with regard to Stevens). I'm sure Auriemma isn't, thankfully. I gotta believe he means it when he says he is looking forward to the challenge of grooming his current roster into a Final Four caliber team in the coming seasons. That would include developing Butler to her fullest potential, much as he did with Steph Dolson. What kind of message does it send to her for him to bring in a high profile "mercenary" as the starting post. The "UConn Way" doesn't strike me as embracing such 'short lease' tactics. Butler, of course, is a transfer herself, but she came aboard with enough eligible seasons (3) for her to develop in the full UConn system. I would think Auriemma would show some commitment to her. She's no Azurra Stevens, but she is the one Auriemma brought to the dance.

I'll chime in with: Wanting another Big is no insult to Natalie. It will afford her some rest that she would find hard to get without another (good) big.
Geno and Christine et al will make up their collective minds about any specific transfer--have no doubt--but Moral questions won't be part of the selection process. You can bet the question would be about coachability, attitude, desire, and how good a teammate the new Big (who ever she may be) would make.
Geno has brought a lot of kids to the "dance" and for what ever reasons some get to sit until cleanup time for 4 years--he's loyal to a fault and keeps kids he should find a way of losing but if you give Geno effort, try hard, practice well--you will be a keeper. So just because Geno selected you--he has no moral qualms or obligation if you don't give what he wants/needs.
I too am a Butler fan and only want the best for her--I appreciate your opinion and intend no insult presenting my opinion

Reaction Score
I wish Geno and Uconn would go after Azura Stevens. She 6'5 with alot of Athleticism. By her going to Uconn I think her game will blossom. Geno will have her like a little Stewie well not quite but yall get my drift lol

Reaction Score
I don't think wanting another Big (even Stevens) is an insult to Natalie!! I too think Natalie will return next fall a bit thiner, and with a passion to play defense and will increase her range with a 3 ball shot. She has so many pluses, and her up side is huge--what she needs is lots of Div1 PT, maybe some USA, or Pan Am to exercise her talents. Charlieball--thank you for seeing the plus side of both these talented women!!!!

Broadway.........don't know how much of Stevens you have seen but when I looked at that clip that I posted earlier I remembered that she is almost more of a power forward then a center.....she has three point range, can handle the ball well for a big and has some terrific inside moves.....she's no Brianna but she would surely add a new dimension to the team......

Reaction Score
Not so sure about Butler being the future post for the Huskies. One key physical quality that Dolson possessed was great feet. She moved well. Butler seems to stumble about far too often (could be that she lacks confidence but that doesn't appear to be the case to my eyes). I could certainly be wrong but we'll see.

As far as Geno going after transfers that's simply not gonna happen. He does not recruit transfers. He may not even want Stevens. Aside from seeing her play on TV I have no idea whether or not she'd be a good fit at UConn. UConn's not for everybody and everybody's not for UConn.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree with all you say---
The Blue miss Azure--(blue like sad)--has a few questions/details to answer before Uconn could request her services;
1. Coming from her previous (unnamed) school--she probably has some non Uconn habits, or practice assumptions to overcome
2. Is she coachable at Div 1 level, i.e., can she run full out for over 50 minutes and smile while doing it?
3. Has she ever had an attitude problem, thought the world revolved around herself, does she think her teammates are the best in the world--and will take a charge for them???
4. Does winning a Conference title and then a sweet 16, Elite 8, final 4, National Championship while being named MVP of the Games -interest her to the point of working 8 months non stop??

If she can answer these truthfully, negative or positively, (even a negative answer if honest is good) I'd give her a shot---unless she loses 7 inches in the transfer!!!
Where do people come up with this stuff?

UConn isn't some sort of convent where the players sit around thinking pure thoughts and doing good deeds all day. Folks need to stop implying that if a player went to UConn she's "good" and if she didn't she's, well, not.

Sometimes the hubris here is "bag over the head" worthy.

Reaction Score
From what I hear out in Cali, if Natalie Romeo transfers back to the West Coast it would kind of be like an inverse of The Parable of the Prodigal Son.

She definitely wasn't a hidden gem—played AAU for Cal Stars which made the championship game of Nike Nationals her final summer (an injury kept her out that game but she was hugely instrumental in getting them there). Did get some love from HoopGurlz (#58) and ASGR (#84).

And even early on, as a freshman she started and contributed 11.2 ppg for her HS team (Jayne Appel's alma mater) that made the California Division 1 State Championship game where they fell to the #1 ranked team in the country, Mater Dei, led by a senior with the initials KML (so, a loss we can forgive).

But at 5'7" and certainly nowhere near MoJeff territory in terms of foot speed, apparently this kept her relatively low of many Pac-12 coaches' wish lists.

But she sure found a way to compensate for her perceived limitations at Nebraska. Superb outside shooting. While Syracuse's Butler just set the single-season record with 129 three's, Romeo hit 104 this past year in seven less games, and like the "Kelsey Mitchell:Kaleena Mosquera-Lewis" thing last year, Romeo hit 42.4% of her three's vs. Butler's 31.1%.

Very crafty with a high IQ and high motor, she can also get to the basket, distribute/pass, and handle the ball. The main concern was defense because of her height and foot speed limitations, yet she was just named Nebraska's defensive player of the year after leading them in steals.

She didn't quite have the grades to get in the mix with Stanford, but I can't imagine many other Pac-12's overlooking her this time around.

Reaction Score
I don't see Azura Stevens transferring to UConn at all, purely based on instinct. But I don't think there's any justification for "blaming" (admittedly, perhaps too strong of a word) Stevens OR Geno for this.

And given that Stevens and Elizabeth Williams were on the floor together for most of every game in '14-'15, I really don't see her (unlikely) addition as being "the end of Butler." Rather, while Duke was certainly no masterpiece in '14-'15, the Williams and Stevens tandem looked totally logical and their complementary roles and talents were one of the few bright spots for them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the point is Geno doesn't "go after" or "recruit" transfers. If THEY come looking to UCONN, he may or may not take a look at them.
Again - I don't think many coaches, if any, 'actively recruit' transfers except out of Juco. The feeling is that a player transferring out of a four year D1 program has already made 'a mistake' in their initial choice, are more mature, wiser, and have a much clearer picture of exactly what they want, be it a return to closer to home, a different style of play or coach, whatever. In that case the field is likely to be very narrow and the 'sales pitch' of very limited value. Much better to pass the word that you are interested and let the play indicate a return interest, than to start an 'active' recruitment. There are also some serious rules that have to be observed in terms of the paperwork from the previous school and no coach wants to make direct contact without first being sure that all those have been taken care of.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Much better to pass the word that you are interested and let the play indicate a return interest, than to start an 'active' recruitment.
I'd probably call that recruiting or going after a player. As opposed to being contacted by the player or a representative first.

Reaction Score

I took the list as metaphor for the team concept generally, and the UConn definition specifically. You can add that the coaches have to buy in as well as the players. Nothing outside the lines. Is there really a "transfer policy"?

Reaction Score
I don't understand why any parent of a talented high school girl would not be pushing their daughter to UConn. If they watched the final game, they surely heard the announcers gush over Geno's coaching superiority, saying over and over how he not only gets the best out of each his players but how he does such an amazing job of preparing them for life beyond basketball. I think it was Doris Burke who said, in the Final, how she wishes he could coach more players.
Given these testimonials, given Geno's unmatched record, given how players blossom under his tutelage,and given that UConn is a quality school, why would a parent who presumably want his/her child to have the best chance at reaching her fullest potential, want her to go anywhere else?
Yes, Storrs is not South Bend nor Durham; but, in Women's Basketball, it sits alone, without peer.
I read all that time that Dawn is a good coach. Tell me, is A'ja developing as well as she would be at UConn? Does she have 2 championships?
If I'm Megan Walker's parents, or the parents of any high school player with that level of potential, I am doing all I can to persuade her to UConn.
And, that goes for talented college underclassmen who, after watching the UConn excellence and love fest, may be realizing that they may have not made the best choice for themselves by going elsewhere. (Were you watching, A'ja?!)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't understand why any parent of a talented high school girl would not be pushing their daughter to UConn. If they watched the final game, they surely heard the announcers gush over Geno's coaching superiority, saying over and over how he not only gets the best out of each his players but how he does such an amazing job of preparing them for life beyond basketball. I think it was Doris Burke who said, in the Final, how she wishes he could coach more players.
Given these testimonials, given Geno's unmatched record, given how players blossom under his tutelage,and given that UConn is a quality school, why would a parent who presumably want his/her child to have the best chance at reaching her fullest potential, want her to go anywhere else?
Yes, Storrs is not South Bend nor Durham; but, in Women's Basketball, it sits alone, without peer.
I read all that time that Dawn is a good coach. Tell me, is A'ja developing as well as she would be at UConn? Does she have 2 championships?
If I'm Megan Walker's parents, or the parents of any high school player with that level of potential, I am doing all I can to persuade her to UConn.
And, that goes for talented college underclassmen who, after watching the UConn excellence and love fest, may be realizing that they may have not made the best choice for themselves by going elsewhere. (Were you watching, A'ja?!)
Because the girls and their families are choosing colleges where the girls will play basketball, not a basketball program where the girls will attend classes. Having been through the college search twice with my boys, I'm more acutely aware that different kids want different things out of their college experience. Colleges are in rural/suburban/urban settings, have different strengths and weaknesses when it comes to various fields of study, are in warm/temperate/cooler environments, are small/medium/large, and are near/somewhat near/or far from home. What each girl needs to decide are which factors are most important to them then choose the school that offers the best fit. And NONE of those girls are wrong, not one, despite what fans may think.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Maybe they realize "pushing" their daughter to do something she may not want isn't a good idea. Maybe they graduated from ND, Ohio State, Texas, Baylor, etc. and want their daughter to follow in their footsteps. Maybe they know their daughter does not like cold weather. Maybe they don't like New Englanders. Maybe they know their daughter wouldn't flourish under Geno (wrong temperament or personality). Maybe they realize their daughter has a different dream than play at UCONN. Maybe their daughter has a particular major she's interested in that UCONN doesn't have or isn't the leader in.

There are hundreds of reasons why.

Reaction Score

UConn isn't some sort of convent where the players sit around thinking pure thoughts and doing good deeds all day. Folks need to stop implying that if a player went to UConn she's "good" and if she didn't she's, well, not.

Sometimes the hubris here is "bag over the head" worthy.
Interesting comment--did you actually read what was written---most if not all has been published prior to this in the Courant, reports of Geno's spoken words, and some understanding of what Uconn Recuits go through.

Nothing implied says that any "transfer", in this case Stevens, must improve her morals, ethics, or thinking to become a Uconn Teammate. Please re-read. Never mentioned Good or Bad.

If you want to discuss each item individually--have at it, I'd like to respond to that!!!!!

Nothing written above implies/infers that Uconn is anything like a Convent--have you actually been in one??
The fully Nun occupied Convents to which I attended were full of fun. You may believe this or not but Nun then were human beings with all the foibles and failures of those from which they came. So If that is what you read into what was written--I accept it. Yep, Nuns love fun, are dedicated to only the one to which they are married, their order, and those in their care. They Worked their tails off to clean scrub, feed, and protect their own and the down todden. Without them in numbers the Church as had to close many schools, hospital, churches, colleges. Sounds more and more like Uconn women doesn't it?? Over the last 90 or more years (no I wasn't around for all of them) my Aunts, Cousin, sister have made that their lifes work. The interesting thing about the Nuns is they were accepting, and in their order back over 200 years you would find peoples of all colors, nationalities, married (spouse is dead), an occasional divorce, and peoples who had been of many other religions. I guess your comparison of Uconn to a Convent is more correct than I at first thought.

Reaction Score
Maybe they realize "pushing" their daughter to do something she may not want isn't a good idea. Maybe they graduated from ND, Ohio State, Texas, Baylor, etc. and want their daughter to follow in their footsteps. Maybe they know their daughter does not like cold weather. Maybe they don't like New Englanders. Maybe they know their daughter wouldn't flourish under Geno (wrong temperament or personality). Maybe they realize their daughter has a different dream than play at UCONN. Maybe their daughter has a particular major she's interested in that UCONN doesn't have or isn't the leader in.

There are hundreds of reasons why.
It isn't New Englanders that they dislike (distrust is more proper) it's all the north east---anything above the Mason Dixon that is not just a South thought --try the midwest, west, southwest. In Indiana I was called a big city sharpie---(my Ct town had a population of less than 2000) the town I was in was 200,000). For the Uncle I travel ed and stayed long times in 40 or more of the states- South San Francisco and Queens have the most accepting peoples from my travels--just a personal observation

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just as a reminder to everyone - there is a very important thread on this board about a young person's struggle with depression - who happened to be a member of the Uconn team. It is just possible that Uconn was not the best choice for her, but of course we will never know.
Cassie Kerns article (merged threads)

Just remember that Basketball is not Life.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Again - I don't think many coaches, if any, 'actively recruit' transfers except out of Juco. The feeling is that a player transferring out of a four year D1 program has already made 'a mistake' in their initial choice, are more mature, wiser, and have a much clearer picture of exactly what they want, be it a return to closer to home, a different style of play or coach, whatever. In that case the field is likely to be very narrow and the 'sales pitch' of very limited value. Much better to pass the word that you are interested and let the play indicate a return interest, than to start an 'active' recruitment. There are also some serious rules that have to be observed in terms of the paperwork from the previous school and no coach wants to make direct contact without first being sure that all those have been taken care of.
I bet you Dawn Staley does. Look at the roster she Frankensteined together with transfers. Imagine if she didn't get those? SCar would be real thin right now.

Reaction Score
Being on both (maybe several) sides of these decisions, I can only say that "ours is not to reason why". I vividly remember a 17 yr old daughter of a friend touring a great school, but pronouncing afterwards that she wouldn't go to a school on a hill. Okay.....

Reaction Score
Stevens is closer to a Stewie type player than a Butler type athlete.Stevens is a mobile 3-4 player with decent ball handling skills and shoots very well from distance at 6-5.Natalie will always be a 5.They could co-exist quite nicely on the court together.Uconn would probably be favorites for number 12 with Stevens on board in 2018.The other players that Uconn would have would be very experienced by then.

Reaction Score
Just as a reminder to everyone - there is a very important thread on this board about a young person's struggle with depression - who happened to be a member of the Uconn team. It is just possible that Uconn was not the best choice for her, but of course we will never know.
Cassie Kerns article (merged threads)

Just remember that Basketball is not Life.

That's a great point..........as fans we constantly evaluate these athletes on their performance or lack there of.........I know I have sometimes been guilty of forgetting that these are 18-21 year old students with all of the highs and lows that come with that age plus they have the added pressure of performing on a huge stage in order to justify their scholarships.............I played Division III sports where there were no scholarships but the pressure to perform on a much smaller stage was still intense..............the highs must be great but the lows must be really painful..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom