Transfer thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since Harris is transferring within the same conference does she have to sit two and lose a year of eligibility?
I know Mitchell has given blanket releases to all his kids, but I thought that rule was a specific conference rule regardless of release given by the coach. Anyone?
Do you mean Jennings? In the SEC there's essentially no intra-confrenece transfer rule. It's like any other transfer you just sit out a year and still have your remaining eligibility. You don't see it all in basketball, because coaches usually blocks it. It happens a little more in football.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Since Harris is transferring within the same conference does she have to sit two and lose a year of eligibility?
I know Mitchell has given blanket releases to all his kids, but I thought that rule was a specific conference rule regardless of release given by the coach. Anyone?

I'm assuming you mean "Jennings"... yes, like a previous poster has already mentioned, there's no SEC rule against transferring within the conference. The reason it seldom happens is because coaches typically put conditions on releases to prevent transfers from transferring to another conference school... In this case, Mitchell gave all of his players no conditions (blanket transfers) allowing them to transfer to any school in the nation regardless of conference affiliation.

Jennings also considered LSU and UGA, both are also SEC schools.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Playing Bradshaw and Cuevas together won't be a problem against over-matched opponents but will be against good-to-elite teams. Bradshaw is a poor shooter and, unless Cuevas significantly improves her perimeter shooting, that will be 2 players the defense won't have to guard on the perimeter. For Dawn to get the most out of Wilson and Coates she needs to surround them with perimeter players who can consistently make shots. Gray will help and time will tell with Davis.

No offense, but Bradshaw hasn't even played a quarter in college yet and she's already a "poor shooter"? Poor enough to be a top 35 player. Sure, if you say so. Obviously Dawn see's something in her that she likes so I'll just wait until I actually see her in a college game before I form an opinion on her abilities.

There's really no point in me defending Cuevas. A lot of people here don't think she's that good which is fine and understandable. I like her and happen to think she'll do just fine next year. We can all agree to disagree.

Double team Wilson. Double team Coates. Don't guard Davis. Guard Gray. Don't guard Cuevas/Bradshaw. That's fine.. since Cuevas and Bradshaw are such poor shooters I'm looking forward to both of them blowing past defenses and driving straight to the rim since nobody will be guarding them and they are both ridiculously quick.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Our SEC colleagues have explained the SEC rules. Your question brings in the rather stringent ACC rules for sure. I've attached a link to the whole policy for you, but here's the exception part (which I have not seen all that often...):
"Waivers of this ACC rule may be considered by the ACC faculty representatives, acting as a committee of the whole, provided the student-athlete has qualified for an exception or waiver of the NCAA four-year college transfer rule. Further, the waiver request must demonstrate objective evidence that proves the student-athlete’s extraordinary personal hardship merits a waiver of the normal application of the policy."

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/ACCEligibilityRules.pdf

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No offense, but Bradshaw hasn't even played a quarter in college yet and she's already a "poor shooter"? Poor enough to be a top 35 player. Sure, if you say so. Obviously Dawn see's something in her that she likes so I'll just wait until I actually see her in a college game before I form an opinion on her abilities.

There's really no point in me defending Cuevas. A lot of people here don't think she's that good which is fine and understandable. I like her and happen to think she'll do just fine next year. We can all agree to disagree.

Double team Wilson. Double team Coates. Don't guard Davis. Guard Gray. Don't guard Cuevas/Bradshaw. That's fine.. since Cuevas and Bradshaw are such poor shooters I'm looking forward to both of them blowing past defenses and driving straight to the rim since nobody will be guarding them and they are both ridiculously quick.

I've watched several of Tabor's games. She is a poor shooter. If you're hoping she becomes a good shooter in college that's fine but it's not going to happen this summer. Honestly, I don't get her ranking by HG at all (Prospect Nation has her in the 70s). I've said on this board before, Molly Bent was a better basketball player at Tabor and I say that without any confidence that Bent will have an impact at UConn.

UConn used to have a point guard who couldn't shoot. Her name was Lorin Dixon. She was extremely quick and a good defender but teams gave her open shots for 4 years and she rarely made them. Geno said the team played 4 on 5. She was quick enough to drive by any defender but when her defender was waiting (with others) in the lane there wasn't exactly a straight path to the rim. Dixon had her moments, but rarely in the half-court style games against good teams. She was a liability on offense.

SC didn't have scorers at every position last year and that hurt against UConn and Syracuse. Next year should be better with Gray and Davis. Cuevas will need to improve her shooting and decision-making. If she does then SC's chances of winning a championship will improve.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I've watched several of Tabor's games. She is a poor shooter. If you're hoping she becomes a good shooter in college that's fine but it's not going to happen this summer. Honestly, I don't get her ranking by HG at all (Prospect Nation has her in the 70s). I've said on this board before, Molly Bent was a better basketball player at Tabor and I say that without any confidence that Bent will have an impact at UConn.

UConn used to have a point guard who couldn't shoot. Her name was Lorin Dixon. She was extremely quick and a good defender but teams gave her open shots for 4 years and she rarely made them. Geno said the team played 4 on 5. She was quick enough to drive by any defender but when her defender was waiting (with others) in the lane there wasn't exactly a straight path to the rim. Dixon had her moments, but rarely in the half-court style games against good teams. She was a liability on offense.

SC didn't have scorers at every position last year and that hurt against UConn and Syracuse. Next year should be better with Gray and Davis. Cuevas will need to improve her shooting and decision-making. If she does then SC's chances of winning a championship will improve.

I don't form concrete opinions about players I know nothing about or have only watched via internet feeds.. but I'm sure Molly Bent is a fine player and I wish her nothing but the best at UCONN. Good luck.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Erin DeGrate leaving Louisville. That's 2/5 of their vaunted 2015 class gone already.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Continuing on a thread and storyline I've been following. Kathleen Doyle, one of the Class of 2016 guards who committed to Nebraska and Coach Connie Yori, (re)opened her search when Yori and Nebraska parted ways. She looked at a few of the original schools that she had relationships with, as well as some new ones, and in this top thread, shows that there was even some conjecture involved....she had talks with Courtney Banghart about Vanderbilt if Coach B would get the Vandy job. Alas, that didn't work so no Vandy (apparently Princeton was not in the cards). So, although she liked new Nebraska coach Teresa Williams, she opted for Iowa, who also had a slot open. Indiana was also in the mix. Addition, subtraction, conjecture. Whew. Here are two articles below. As stated, this leaves Mi'Cole Cayton up in the air from the Nebraska fallout.

Top recruit Kathleen Doyle spurns Nebraska women's basketball for Iowa

Illinois Ms. Basketball Kathleen Doyle of Benet commits to Iowa

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

I think Cuevas has gotten a poor rep here due to playing against Moriah Jefferson. Mo made a lot of point guards look ordinary. Cuevas has gotten better in her decision making and I expect she will continue to do so and she is a good ball handler. She does need to improve her outside shooting % - but then so did Mo in her freshman/sophmore years.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Erin DeGrate leaving Louisville. That's 2/5 of their vaunted 2015 class gone already.

Besides Louisville and Baylor, I think she was also considering Tennessee, Texas A& and Texas Tech. Seems mighty crowded with the Bears, so maybe the latter three might have some interest (again).

The Louisville situation reminds me of a story my next door neighbor of Long Island once told me. He wanted to build a rock wall on his property and gave young kids instructions to go down to nearby Long Island Sound to get appropriate rocks, which are plentiful on the north shore. Once back at his property, he'd thrown these rocks into a barrel of fresh water to clean the salt off. He'd never toss ALL the rocks in the barrel in at once, explaining that the more you tossed in, the water level might overflow out of the barrell. "After all," he said, "the water has to go somewhere and might run off...."

I wonder if Coach Walz is aware that the recruiting overflow has to go somewhere.....

Reaction Score
I think Cuevas has gotten a poor rep here due to playing against Moriah Jefferson. Mo made a lot of point guards look ordinary. Cuevas has gotten better in her decision making and I expect she will continue to do so and she is a good ball handler. She does need to improve her outside shooting % - but then so did Mo in her freshman/sophmore years.

Cuevas is a quick, skilled player but she plays out of control way too much and is a suspect shooter.......certainly a useful player but not someone that could lead a team to a national championship

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Post more.

Reaction Score

Louisville has Johnson and Shook both 6'4" post players coming so I doubt he views it as a major loss............she's from Waco TX so maybe Baylor..........sorry.......they have five or six 6'4" players so they don't need her either................I'm sure she'll find plenty of interest elsewhere

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Louisville has Johnson and Shook both 6'4" post players coming so I doubt he views it as a major loss..she's from Waco TX so maybe Baylor.....sorry..they have five or six 6'4" players so they don't need her either......I'm sure she'll find plenty of interest elsewhere

See my post on the earlier page....;) There are a few more Texas schools and Tennessee that she had previously considered, as well.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Cuevas is a quick, skilled player but she plays out of control way too much and is a suspect shooter..certainly a useful player but not someone that could lead a team to a national championship

She reminds me a little of Ketia Swanier. When she first came onto the team, as soon as she got the ball she went as fast as she could to the other end of the court, then looked up to figure out what she should do next. Over time she learned when to play with more control and became really good. I think Cuevas will get better too.

Can she lead them to a Championship? Maybe - if UCONN takes the next two years off.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Actually while Moriah started slowly her sophomore year she ended the year shooting: .575/.418/.768. That is hardly struggling. Her junior year was certainly better, but few guards put up those kinds of numbers as a senior let alone a soph.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Actually while Moriah started slowly her sophomore year she ended the year shooting: .575/.418/.768. That is hardly struggling. Her junior year was certainly better, but few guards put up those kinds of numbers as a senior let alone a soph.

I was thinking more about her reluctance to shoot, but you're right that the improvement came after her freshman year and her shooting as a sophomore was significantly improved.

Which is mainly my point. Comparing other guards to Moriah is unfair - how can they look good compared to a gem like her?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm assuming you mean "Jennings"... yes, like a previous poster has already mentioned, there's no SEC rule against transferring within the conference. The reason it seldom happens is because coaches typically put conditions on releases to prevent transfers from transferring to another conference school... In this case, Mitchell gave all of his players no conditions (blanket transfers) allowing them to transfer to any school in the nation regardless of conference affiliation.

Jennings also considered LSU and UGA, both are also SEC schools.

She obviously wanted to play in front of fans instead of in morgues (Steadman or PMAC).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
that's a nice back court they'll have there

Absolutely. Can step in and play with Jordin Canada and Karli Korver. Good landing spot....
Of the HoopGurlz 100, that leaves Ionescu and Cayton. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Per Brett McCormick (LINK), Jatari White to Texas, where she'll pair with Holmes. Karen Aston really stockpiling talent over there in Austin.

This could be big. Although White gravitates to more of a face-up 4 game, Texas finally gets another elite player with size to complement their host of elite guards. It'll be interesting if White and Holmes (described as a point-forward despite her 6'3" height) can at least play more traditional roles for players with their size when it comes to rebounding and interior defense (I think roaming outside the paint when looking to score is less an issue). Texas still could use a outside shooter, but this definitely gives balance to their talented roster, which was always loaded but just a little bit skewed toward explosive, attacking guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom