Transfer Thread - May | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer Thread - May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't really be panicking. Bouk is a great player and a lotto pick...he also wasn't a great defender and finished the year less than 30% from 3 point range. Between that and Akok back at full strength coupled with Whaley's return the defense should be improved and it could be a top 10 in the country.

We've seen every year thus far with Hurley: a good player leaves, the team still gets better.

Jalen Adams graduated with his 17 ppg and 36% from 3 and the team got better.

Christian Vital graduated with his 16 ppg and 6 rebounds a game and being a great defender and the team got better. Remember people were afraid his loss would lead to the team getting worse on the glass? Whaley and Sanogo picked up the slack.

Now James Bouknight is going to the NBA with his 18 ppg.

These things just tend to work themselves out. I don't disagree that shooting and shot creation were not great when he didn't play, but they built the offense around him and were ill prepared for his absence.

It's reasonable to say these areas are concerning going into next year given how poorly the last game went (although the issue was more making layups than 3s), but the answers are likely already on the roster.

You remove the 3 COVID pauses (probably the most in NCAA, maybe tied with DePaul), Polley and Akok now getting a normal offseason and 100% fully removed from injuries, and the synergies of having that kind of roster retention (i.e. everyone already knows the system), this is going to be a good team (again).

If they can add one more guy for depth that understands minutes are far from a guarantee, great, but I think minutes are fully spoken for this season.
Akok is at full strength?

Reaction Score

Wondering if there is any chance he is trying to follow Murray, or just a coincidence

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Because I am a casual fan, can someone explain the late deciders to enter the portal? Is each one just situational, or is there some strategy to declaring a month after the musical chairs start getting filled?

Reaction Score

Sounds like what we need.

He could fit as a situational shooter/defender, but I can't see why an incoming senior who played 15 mpg at URI would transfer into a program like UConn where he'd have even less minutes.

Instead, I see him as a solid pickup for a mid-major or lower who is looking for some size and shooting at the 4 position. At that type of school, Johnson could parlay that potential new opportunity into a pro resume, if he's interested in that route.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. I think the above is a very generous assessment of DJ. He is a hard worker. He also was a traditional redshirt after two years at JUCO and didn’t see the floor much last season. I imagine he might end up closer to home.

Reaction Score
I watch most of URI games - he's not Big East level - echo what NJHoops said - esp not being a knockdown shooter.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
People are still entering the transfer portal

Reaction Score
1620581033862.png

Larsson to Arizona. Stays in conference to a team in deep need for guards. Great pickup by Lloyd.

Of their nine incoming scholarship players, SEVEN are international:

Guards: Kriisa (Estonia), Larsson (Sweden), Nowell (USA)
Wings: Mathurin (Canada), Terry (USA), T. Tubelis (Lithuania),
Bigs: A. Tubelis (Lithuania), Koloko (Cameroon), Ballo (Mali)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
View attachment 67346
Larsson to Arizona. Stays in conference to a team in deep need for guards. Great pickup by Lloyd.

Of their nine incoming scholarship players, SEVEN are international:

Guards: Kriisa (Estonia), Larsson (Sweden), Nowell (USA)
Wings: Mathurin (Canada), Terry (USA), T. Tubelis (Lithuania),
Bigs: A. Tubelis (Lithuania), Koloko (Cameroon), Ballo (Mali)
'Great pickup by Lloyd.'
of course it is. and, of course this place showed absolutely almost zero insight or luv for him or the handful of others like him available in portal world, yet the likes of rocket j. squirrel or fats domino are somehow must gets here.
'And he just landed one of the best outside shooters in the country in CJ Fredrick, as the former Iowa guard has committed and signed with the Wildcats.'
CJ Fredrick commits to Kentucky (msn.com)
hmmm, that makes me 2 fer 2 calling 'bigtime.'
'And with good reason, since put simply, he is one of the best shooters in all of college basketball.'
The 15 best players currently in the transfer portal: Version 7.0 | Kentucky Sports Radio
looks like Depaul, and not Kentucky, is on the rocket radar this week, notwithstanding his name in that '15 best players' list.
i really believe that we don't need a pick-up to have a legit chance next season, but even a millionaire will bend down to scoop up a 1 lb gold nugget that fell off the truck.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Thought he'd be long gone pro after graduating and how well he played last season.

Reaction Score
The Price is Right (for Tony and Tre)
Some of these guys are transferring to another school just so they can "CA$H IN" again. These players are gettin' paid and always have been - to one degree or another. LSU is among the worst and dirtiest. The Tre situation is dirty and shady right from the start since he went to UMASS. This is just a continuation for him and his ilk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom