Transfer Portal | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I LOVED Curbelo last year, didn't watch a second of him play this year.

Antonio Reeves sure looks intriguing. I think scoring guard/shooter is most important, unless a sure fire starting PG is available. At this point I think handing it to Gaff/Digg/CFJ is the way to do it.

Reaction Score

Antonio Reeves sure looks intriguing. I think scoring guard/shooter is most important, unless a sure fire starting PG is available. At this point I think handing it to Gaff/Digg/CFJ is the way to do it.
No to Gaff. We need someone who to take his minutes at LEAST

Reaction Score
Reeves has the 2nd highest PORPAGATU! of all the transfers. Newton is the highest. They're at 4.1 and 4.2 respectively. (It's an offensive player metric from Bart Torvik that does a good job of adjusting efficiency for volume among other things).

Borderline top 100 offensive players this past year. Puts them on the tier of this season Tyrese Martin or so, or about where Cole was his first year with us (he was a top 50 player this year).

RAPM has Reeves as the 9th best transfer, mostly because his defense doesn't rate out very well. Then again, his team's defense was garbage, so may have pulled him down as collateral damage.

Last edited:

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23-24
Reaction Score
I don't know if it's been mentioned but I would love to land Minott from Memphis. I think the kids potential is through the roof. Under the right coach, in the right system, given the time to develop I see him as a future star.

Reaction Score

I get the loyalty and respect that. But isnt one year of hoping for a jump to be an impact player enough to tell our staff to move on? I mean I get it with Rashool he has to get to work this offseason and improve so he can be the back up and take Gaffs minutes. But Gaff regressed his junior year yet so many somehow want to run with him running the show it’s crazy. We’re UConn it’s his fault he hasn’t stepped up and the staff needs to recruit over him in order to maintain a winning program level.

Reaction Score
Hurley finally woke up from his nap :D
From napping to nipping , at the portal.

Lots of players, lots of competition from many suitors.

Law of averages and a good BE should help him.

Reaction Score
He will probably end up at UMass since Martin landed there after he was fired at SC
Saw them play a few times this year, Carter disappears pretty often and does not scare defenses with his jumper. Pass, we need established shooters, not projects.

Reaction Score
From napping to nipping , at the portal.

Lots of players, lots of competition from many suitors.

Law of averages and a good BE should help him.

In addition to playing time, DH should also be able to talk up what the transfers to UConn did for RJ and Tyrese, exposure and money wise. I just wish our guys were doing better with NIL.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am sure Hurley will be trying to bring in a PG. Hopefully a good one. But if he can't, but can get a scoring wing, then I think he plays AJ at point and brings in the wing. It's going to be interesting. More people will hit the portal too.

Reaction Score
DH/staff know what they have to do. Guessing they've known of RJ's intentions for a few days and have been making the appropriate contacts with portal guys. Time to get some on-campus visits from them along with any de-commits of interest. (due to coaching changes)

Necessity is the mother of invention-- DH needs to adjust to the cards he's been dealt. Has PT for interested ballers

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
How many open scholarships does Arkansas still have? I feel like they are tied to everyone and are already brining in 6 freshmen next year...

Reaction Score
How many open scholarships does Arkansas still have? I feel like they are tied to everyone and are already brining in 6 freshmen next year...
I guess when every transfer is in contact with 20 or 30 schools, you gotta reach out to anyone you think can help you, even if you only have 1 open spot. Any given school is very unlikely to get any given highly sought-after transfer, mathematically speaking.

Reaction Score
Juice Hill is a baller.

13.4p, 2.3r, 5.1a, 1.9 TO, 1.1s, 49.5 2p%, 35.8 3p%, 74.4 ft%. I love his grit and confidence without being careless with his abilities.

But he couldn't help Murray State beat lowly St. Peter's. Can't win the big one and lacks intestinal fortitute. Hard Pass.

[this is sarcasm btw]

Reaction Score
Arkansas is big on recruiting over people. They'll push out returning players that aren't as good.

Reaction Score

I didn't watch much Purdue this year, but I understand this guy to be a sniper. Was a starter then came off the bench to end the year. Seems really likely he's looking for high major PT as cause of transfer, so I don't know if we can accommodate that off ball, but a name to keep an eye on if we want shooting or if Hurley thinks he can play more on ball (or use him with Jackson as PG?)

Another player that couldn't help his high-major team beat St. Peters, a lowly MAAC team. Hard pass

[this is also sarcasm]

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I get the loyalty and respect that. But isnt one year of hoping for a jump to be an impact player enough to tell our staff to move on? I mean I get it with Rashool he has to get to work this offseason and improve so he can be the back up and take Gaffs minutes. But Gaff regressed his junior year yet so many somehow want to run with him running the show it’s crazy. We’re UConn it’s his fault he hasn’t stepped up and the staff needs to recruit over him in order to maintain a winning program level.

To clarify what I said, I don’t expect Gaffney to start. In my “ideal” scenario Diggins takes over, Jackson plays some 1 maybe with Gaff and Floyd chipping in small minutes of relief at the 1.

I think a transfer should either be a good shooting PG or a sniper wing, but either way to me the importance is a shooter, and hopeful Diggins and crew can run point.

Overall I’m hopeful Diggins takes a step and Gaff is a bit player off the bench. I can’t trust him to lead the show, I agree with everyone there and didn’t mean to suggest that.

Reaction Score
Tristen Newton is a 6'5 200 guard who averaged 17.7p, 4.8r, 5a, 3.5 to, 1.4s, 49.9 2p%, 33.3 3p% (about 1/3 shots from deep).

What stands out the most is his 87.9 ft% at 5.8 attempts/game, a rate that is 44th in the nation. Without watching any of the games, it shows me a guy who creates his own offense and attacks the rim, a trait we definitely need from a player.

Newton played most of his minutes at the 2, but also played some 3 and was ECU's PG when Robinson-White wasn't in the game:

1648560219277.png

I'd like his 3p% to be better, but he's a very versatile player and another larger distributor to pair with Jackson to allow for some smooth offensive sets.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard recently the staff is banking on Johnson being the 4. He can shoot and his defense has been improving. That allows Sanogo to play the 5 with Clingan backing him up. It helps to have Jackson who can play the 1, 3 or 4 position as needed. Karaban can slot in to back up Johnson at the 4 as needed. Sounds like we’re looking for a ball handler who will fit in and can shoot. Staff is still very high on Hawkins and feel like he can be “the guy” next year.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard recently the staff is banking on Johnson being the 4. He can shoot and his defense has been improving. That allows Sanogo to play the 5 with Clingan backing him up. It helps to have Jackson who can play the 1, 3 or 4 position as needed. Karaban can slot in to back up Johnson at the 4 as needed. Sounds like we’re looking for a ball handler who will fit in and can shoot. Staff is still very high on Hawkins and feel like he can be “the guy” next year.
Sounds like the Boneyard and the staff are on the same page lol.

Reaction Score
Tristen Newton is a 6'5 200 guard who averaged 17.7p, 4.8r, 5a, 3.5 to, 1.4s, 49.9 2p%, 33.3 3p% (about 1/3 shots from deep).

What stands out the most is his 87.9 ft% at 5.8 attempts/game, a rate that is 44th in the nation. Without watching any of the games, it shows me a guy who creates his own offense and attacks the rim, a trait we definitely need from a player.

Newton played most of his minutes at the 2, but also played some 3 and was ECU's PG when Robinson-White wasn't in the game:

View attachment 74973

I'd like his 3p% to be better, but he's a very versatile player and another larger distributor to pair with Jackson to allow for some smooth offensive sets.
This is exactly the type of player that we need. Ideally we can get 2 of them. This dude can play the point, he can play off the ball, he can create for others, and he can create his own offense. He'd fit in perfectly

He also scored 25 points against us in 2019. Bring him in Coach

Reaction Score

View attachment 74973

KenPom's algorithm is getting fooled a bit because he's taller than Robinson-White and ECU uses 2 guards to create, but make no mistake this kid is a PG. Great vision. Really good at hit-ahead passes and hitting the opposite corner when he penetrates.

His jumper is a bit similar to Martin's. Not a lot of weird moving pieces or anything, just a bit of a set shot. Hopefully we can help him improve it the same way the staff did with Martin.

He'll be switchable on D with his height. He's got 2 years left.

I'm very interested.

Reaction Score
KenPom's algorithm is getting fooled a bit because he's taller than Robinson-White and ECU uses 2 guards to create, but make no mistake this kid is a PG. Great vision. Really good at hit-ahead passes and hitting the opposite corner when he penetrates.

His jumper is a bit similar to Martin's. Not a lot of weird moving pieces or anything, just a bit of a set shot. Hopefully we can help him improve it the same way the staff did with Martin.

He'll be switchable on D with his height. He's got 2 years left.

I'm very interested.

Would be a fantastic addition. Tons of competition though. If we really see him as a PG, I think we can offer a lot of PT and make a decent case for how he'd fit in. I've never watched him... but just from this tape and his game stats, I hope we make a decent push if there's any reciprocal interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom