Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Want to interject a new name as a UCONN possibility in Kadi Sissoko from Minnesota. Very athletic, long, & mobile wing player defender who does just about everything at a high level and is a defensive disruptor. She scored in double figures when UCONN played Minnesota this year. She is french so maybe have L2 make a french connection.

Interesting find, Coco--I could see a good fit here. In addition to the UConn game, Sissoko's best game probably was against Penn State when she dropped 32 points and grabbed 14 rebounds.... As you said, she is very athletic and tenacious..

Reaction Score
I read that there were 3 players that entered the portal this weekend for Minnesota that's harsh, esp on the week Whalen got inducted into the HOF.
I just watched one of my favorite game from (about) 2003 DT vs Whalen and McArville. Whalen even then earned that post in HOF.
I hope Cousin Geno takes a look.
Holy smoke, you are related to Geno? I thought you were from our northern neighbors--no, not Maine.

Reaction Score
It's tangentially related to UCONN. Anyway many of us never read the general board so it's fun to see stuff like this. She's a big time recruit and if she goes to SC, it replaces Henderson and gives SC another clear path to the NC.
How many degrees is that Tangent off of Uconn? We all know Uconn is the sphere of WCBB but off on a satellite, hmm I wonder?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The problem with this is.....UCONN is used to separate the UC from all the other UC's. The South Carolina program is using Scar which I find idiotic. They are the only team within the Power 5 to use Gamecocks and they should play off of that instead of a USC or a Carolina...IMO. I would put Gamecocks on every athletic team jersey in every sport. Makes more sense if you want to stand out.
Semantics. That's all we're talking about. This subject has been talked about several times here in the yard. "USC" means two different things depending on where YOU are. IF I'm in North or South Carolina, USC to me means South Carolina.......period!!

I'm out here on the west coast (Southern California). USC to me as ALWAYS meant the Trojans of Southern California. In my youth (pre-teens), I lived within 2 miles of the campus. I used to ride my bicycle with friends throughout its campus and Exposition Park (across the street) for years, especially during the summer months. At that time, I did not know the University of South Carolina existed. To the rest of the country (outside of the Carolinas), "USC also means the So Cal Trojans. To put a quick end to this discussion, simply Google "USC", and see what comes up. :eek:

When ever I refer to South Carolina in a comment, I ALWAYS spell it out.....South Carolina as to not confuse my readers. I refuse to use initials in a comment. I never assume that everyone who would read my comments will know exactly what those initials stand for. What does "OSU" mean to you? Oklahoma State University?, Ohio State University?, or Oregon State University?. Take your pick. :confused: Take an extra moment to spell it out, then there will never be any misunderstanding of what school you're referencing.

I've read posts where the OP used initials in reference to a player on another team. On more than one occasion, I had no idea who the player was. The OP knew and assumed everyone else did too. Wrong!! Because of that, the OP missed me with his/her comment, and subsequently my interest in that comment waned. :oops:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Want to interject a new name as a UCONN possibility in Kadi Sissoko from Minnesota. Very athletic, long, & mobile wing player defender who does just about everything at a high level and is a defensive disruptor. She scored in double figures when UCONN played Minnesota this year. She is french so maybe have L2 make a french connection.

Coco, you struck a nerve with me with Sissoko. I love aggressive long-lean-mobile players with a handle, who can finish under the basket and will play some defense. I know there will be posters that say we don't need any more forwards. That's their opinion and that's OK. IMO she would make UConn even more deeper and formidable. I'm greedy. I would love to see her on our team next season. She would carve out minutes for herself. She would give Geno another option. Who doesn't like lots of options? I like her. I'm feeling you on Sissoko. :cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, you struck a nerve with me with Sissoko. I love aggressive long-lean-mobile players with a handle, who can finish under the basket and will play some defense. I know there will be posters that say we don't need any more forwards. That's their opinion and that's OK. IMO she would make UConn even more deeper and formidable. I'm greedy. I would love to see her on our team next season. She would carve out minutes for herself. She would give Geno another option. Who doesn't like lots of options? I like her. I'm feeling you on Sissoko. :cool:
it was this simple sentence which first caught my attention regarding her:

"Led the team ( Minnesota) in every rebounding category, highlighted by her 70 offensive rebounds (2.1 per game).

Carnac

Reaction Score
it was this simple sentence which first caught my attention regarding her:

"Led the team ( Minnesota) in every rebounding category, highlighted by her 70 offensive rebounds (2.1 per game).
If the boneyard contingent is honest in its approach and desire to win the NC this coming season, it has to recognize and agree that South Carolina is the team we must beat to win it. We were good enough to beat everyone else, but not them. They out rebounded us 49-24. Almost 2-1 [Box score].

Former Laker head coach Pat Riley said it best years ago during the Lakers "show time" era........"no rebounds, no rings." That dynamic certainly proved true for UConn this year. UConn can use anyone that can help balance that disparity. You know as well as I do that you will not beat any team that out rebounds you 2-1.

South Carolina will again be the elephant in the room. THEY are the team that Geno must assemble a team to beat. Everything he does must be done to beat THEM. THEY will be the biggest game on our schedule next season, and our biggest road block in the tournament.

They will be the preseason #1 ranked team in the country, and rightfully so. If we can't beat SC, it doesn't matter what we do against any other team. Our goal is to win the NC, not to come in second. To do that, we must go through South Carolina. Oh by the way..............they plan on repeating as national champs per Dawn Staley and Aliyah Boston so they've already drawn a line in the sand. :eek:

Reaction Score
If the boneyard contingent is honest in its approach and desire to win the NC this coming season, it has to recognize and agree that South Carolina is the team we must beat to win it. We were good enough to beat everyone else, but not them. They out rebounded us 49-24. Almost 2-1 [Box score].

Former Laker head coach Pat Riley said it best years ago during the Lakers "show time" era........"no rebounds, no rings."
Wholeheartedly concur. Love Sissoko kid from what’s been posted. Absolute need for this team, regardless of incoming & returning size.

Hard to trust freshmen in major D1 games— esp against elite opponents. And our biggest national rivals feature not only formidable size but waves of it. Need to match such depth including seasoned players that can handle game speed & physicality based on their experience doing so, while kids acclimate & learn.

Finally, we just saw how devastating injuries can be this past year. Can’t afford to bare shallow (playable) roster risk again. Aside from Ice & Ayanna unknowns, unsure how quickly/much Amare will improve & Aubrey is a wildcard off back surgery. Consequently, another long, athletic, rebounding, defensive-minded, seasoned wing would look great on this team IMHO. 12 players would hardly be cumbersome or excessive; we started with 14 last season.

sun

Reaction Score

Former Laker head coach Pat Riley said it best years ago during the Lakers "show time" era........"no rebounds, no rings." That dynamic certainly proved true for UConn this year. UConn can use anyone that can help balance that disparity. You know as well as I do that you will not beat any team that out rebounds you 2-1.

South Carolina will again be the elephant in the room. THEY are the team that Geno must assemble a team to beat. Everything he does must be done to beat THEM. THEY will be the biggest game on our schedule next season, and our biggest road block in the tournament.

They will be the preseason #1 ranked team in the country, and rightfully so. If we can't beat SC, it doesn't matter what we do against any other team. Our goal is to win the NC, not to come in second. To do that, we must go through South Carolina. Oh by the way..............they plan on repeating as national champs per Dawn Staley and Aliyah Boston so they've already drawn a line in the sand. :eek:
Yes & no.
There plenty of other teams in the mix that can also eliminate Scar.
Scar also has a target on their back, just like UConn does.
I think the amount of pre-season hype over Scar being #1 is getting overblown.
Plenty of other teams are reconfiguring and new stars are always being made & developing.
It's not a done deal any more than UConn will make it to the NC game again next year.
Anything can happen and the chance of a Scar - UConn rematch for the NC are slimmer than this past year.
Then the question becomes which team won't make it, will it be Scar or UConn, or both?

If Stanford or NCstate had beat UConn, then maybe Scar wouldn't have even won the NC.
In a single elimination tournament, any team can win a big game depending on how the ball bounces, the refs and a host of variables.
Even with a pre-season #1 poll ranking, Dawn will still need to pay $1 to buy a cup a coffee.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes & no.
There plenty of other teams in the mix that can also eliminate Scar.
Scar also has a target on their back, just like UConn does.
I think the amount of pre-season hype over Scar being #1 is getting overblown.
Plenty of other teams are reconfiguring and new stars are always being made & developing.
It's not a done deal any more than UConn will make it to the NC game again next year.
Anything can happen and the chance of a Scar - UConn rematch for the NC are slimmer than this past year.
Then the question becomes which team won't make it, will it be Scar or UConn, or both?

If Stanford or NCstate had beat UConn, then maybe Scar wouldn't have even won the NC.
In a single elimination tournament, any team can win a big game depending on how the ball bounces, the refs and a host of variables.
Even with a pre-season #1 poll ranking, Dawn will still need to pay $1 to buy a cup a coffee.
This is the new reality in WCBB and it is becoming more so every year. When the difference between top teams grows narrower the number of teams capable of winning on any given night increases. This is very evident in the men's game with the best teams often getting knocked off even before the final four. Anyone who understands the game realizes that players can have off as well as hot shooting games at any time. The proper alignment of those two factors make the outcome between two relatively close in talent teams highly dependent of circumstances. For example I posted before the Stanford game that UConn had a good chance of beating them if the Hall sisters had a cold shooting night and that is exactly what happened. If they were hot the outcome probably would have been different. Between teams that are relatively equal in talent things like that along with certain other factors can make difference between a win or a loss.

Reaction Score
If Connecticut knows something about Aubrey and her ability to play next year being negative then I could see The transfer for Minnesota however if Aubrey is healthy I think a low post player is more of a priority. Have a look at Brittany Smith from UCF. It seems as though all the big-name post players are heading elsewhere so a good second tier 4 with good experience motor and bounce could be the answer for the front court. Let the young Biggs Continue to develop over the summer and season.

Reaction Score
If Connecticut knows something about Aubrey and her ability to play next year being negative then I could see The transfer for Minnesota however if Aubrey is healthy I think a low post player is more of a priority. Have a look at Brittany Smith from UCF. It seems as though all the big-name post players are heading elsewhere so a good second tier 4 with good experience motor and bounce could be the answer for the front court. Let the young Biggs Continue to develop over the summer and season.
Like Smith from UCF !!

Reaction Score
… Have a look at Brittany Smith from UCF…
Strong credentials. Liked what I saw in 2R game. Know she plays hard, defends, & is rugged/tough from Coach Abe’s influence & UCF style of play. Imagine Brittney will follow her to Georgia but would be nice get for Geno. This excerpt from Orlando Sentinel article impressive reporting her transfer portal entry:

“The Sixth [Woman] of the Year in the American Athletic Conference, Smith averaged 10 points and 6 rebounds in 23 minutes despite coming off the bench every game.

In the first round of the NCAA tournament against the Florida Gators, Smith scored a career-high 26 points on 11-of-15 shooting in just 25 minutes.”

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Whenever anyone talks about 'the team to beat' I think about 40-0 juggernaut Baylor 2012 national champ returning everyone and then not making it past the S16 in 2013. Big dominant center, too. Or this past year's defending champ Stanford with depth everywhere.

Smart coaches have to think about how any addition will effect development of the current roster, because the portal works both ways. Do you want a one or two year rental that will lead to the loss of of a freshman or sophomore next spring that just needs more development to become a better player?

Don't expect loyalty if you don't exhibit loyalty to those around you.

Reaction Score
Whenever anyone talks about 'the team to beat' I think about 40-0 juggernaut Baylor 2012 national champ returning everyone and then not making it past the S16 in 2013. Big dominant center, too. Or this past year's defending champ Stanford with depth everywhere.

Smart coaches have to think about how any addition will effect development of the current roster, because the portal works both ways. Do you want a one or two year rental that will lead to the loss of of a freshman or sophomore next spring that just needs more development to become a better player?

Don't expect loyalty if you don't exhibit loyalty to those around you.
IN the case of SC you have to bring in an experienced PG. You have 4 starters back and your future at PG tore her ACL and is still rehabbing and the player that you had back up the PG this year decided to hit the portal. I don't think Dawn had any choice. We lost 5 players this year (4 guards) and are bringing in 2 freshmen and hopefully 2 upper classmen. We could lose 6 players next year if none of the seniors come back. I don't think Dawn really has any choice this year.

In our case it's a chance you have to take. If you're in the position to try to win a National Championship THIS year I don't think you can worry about the next year.

Reaction Score
Your premise is certainly viable, based upon Aubrey's health for the coming season, the only problem with this is that the UConn staff may not know the status of Aubrey's health--back surgery is a dicey thing. I think they add another wing/forward and if Aubrey's recovery is sufficient, great, but don't bank on it...

Reaction Score
Also, Aubrey has at least 2 more years of eligibility left counting COVID extension— perhaps 3 if this past season counts as a red shirt. So, time left for her development beyond strictly 2022-‘23.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Strong credentials. Liked what I saw in 2R game. Know she plays hard, defends, & is rugged/tough from Coach Abe’s influence & UCF style of play. Imagine Brittney will follow her to Georgia but would be nice get for Geno. This excerpt from Orlando Sentinel article impressive reporting her transfer portal entry:

“The Sixth [Woman] of the Year in the American Athletic Conference, Smith averaged 10 points and 6 rebounds in 23 minutes despite coming off the bench every game.

In the first round of the NCAA tournament against the Florida Gators, Smith scored a career-high 26 points on 11-of-15 shooting in just 25 minutes.”
According to Twitter, Brittney Smith has already announced her commitment to Georgia, following Coach Abe.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
IN the case of SC you have to bring in an experienced PG. You have 4 starters back and your future at PG tore her ACL and is still rehabbing and the player that you had back up the PG this year decided to hit the portal. I don't think Dawn had any choice. We lost 5 players this year (4 guards) and are bringing in 2 freshmen and hopefully 2 upper classmen. We could lose 6 players next year if none of the seniors come back. I don't think Dawn really has any choice this year.

In our case it's a chance you have to take. If you're in the position to try to win a National Championship THIS year I don't think you can worry about the next year.
No question filling a roster hole from the portal makes sense, but it still comes at a potential cost. If Cardoso for example were in the portal this year I would hope Geno would be pursuing her as having a low post banger would fill a gap.

I do wonder how Cardoso, Feagin, and Amihere are feeling about their choices - great to have an NC, would have been nice if they were actually playing more minutes and with Saxton returning ...?

sun

Reaction Score
Also, Aubrey has at least 2 more years of eligibility left counting COVID extension— perhaps 3 if this past season counts as a red shirt. So, time left for her development beyond strictly 2022-‘23.
Aubrey is an interesting subject because only the staff knows how she got injured and the extent of her injury.

For instance, if she got injured lifting weights then I could imagine that she may not want to risk doing as much weight training as she used to, or if she will want to do any at all.
If she was injured in a fall that's another reason that could affect her ability/desire to train as hard in the future, or to be available to perform at all times when needed, be it in a game or at practice.

Depending on what Geno knows or thinks, he would have a more informed opinion about whether she can be relied on to return next year at 100% or not.

Until I see her on next year's roster, as a fan I can't be sure if she will be back on the team, or able to perform at 100%.
Geno can't spill the beans about what he thinks, but his actions might be revealing, especially if he ends up adding another player before the next season begins as insurance.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wholeheartedly concur. Love Sissoko kid from what’s been posted. Absolute need for this team, regardless of incoming & returning size.

Hard to trust freshmen in major D1 games— esp against elite opponents. And our biggest national rivals feature not only formidable size but waves of it. Need to match such depth including seasoned players that can handle game speed & physicality based on their experience doing so, while kids acclimate & learn.

Finally, we just saw how devastating injuries can be this past year. Can’t afford to bare shallow (playable) roster risk again. Aside from Ice & Ayanna unknowns, unsure how quickly/much Amare will improve & Aubrey is a wildcard off back surgery. Consequently, another long, athletic, rebounding, defensive-minded, seasoned wing would look great on this team IMHO. 12 players would hardly be cumbersome or excessive; we started with 14 last season.
Agree 100%. Especially the part about elite opponents having size and experience and can come at you in waves. If you can't match that size and experience, you can easily get sucked under like a youngster in an ocean riptide.

I like nice “round” numbers too. A 12 player roster would be perfect. I know it's a longshot, but I really like Sissoko, and won’t give up on her until she commits. She would round out UConn’s 2022-2023 roster quite nicely.

Going forward, everytime I log onto the BY, I hope to be greeted by a post reading: Sissoko to UConn. For me that would be Christmas in April. :D

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Aubrey is an interesting subject because only the staff knows how she got injured and the extent of her injury.

For instance, if she got injured lifting weights then I could imagine that she may not want to risk doing as much weight training as she used to, or if she will want to do any at all.
If she was injured in a fall that's another reason that could affect her ability/desire to train as hard in the future, or to be available to perform at all times when needed, be it in a game or at practice.

Depending on what Geno knows or thinks, he would have a more informed opinion about whether she can be relied on to return next year at 100% or not.

Until I see her on next year's roster, as a fan I can't be sure if she will be back on the team, or able to perform at 100%.
Geno can't spill the beans about what he thinks, but his actions might be revealing, especially if he ends up adding another player before the next season begins as insurance.
Speaking from experience. Back injuries don’t necessarily result from a single incident. They tend to be cumulative. I had a good 40 years of back spasms & strains before finally having back surgery in my 50’s. Glad I finally had the procedure. But for the life of me I cannot point to one single event that resulted in my back problems.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Speaking from experience. Back injuries don’t necessarily result from a single incident. They tend to be cumulative. I had a good 40 years of back spasms & strains before finally having back surgery in my 50’s. Glad I finally had the procedure. But for the life of me I cannot point to one single event that resulted in my back problems.
You’ve got a witness. I have spasms and strains sporatically. It usually lasts for 3 days. Had one just last week. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom