Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let us not short change Geno, in making his future selections. He has more info available on players, then we do. I'm just sitting back & waiting for his next player commitment! Will it be 'portal', a future graduate from High School, graduate college player or a player from Europe, which seems to be in turmoil, over the war?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Seeing how she is from Virginia why not team up with Mir and Brunelle and help build a program?

Reaction Score
NIL and Transfer Portal threads have for the most part posted separately, and their conversations siloed. They are in fact together part of what's happening and will eventually negatively impact my favorite college sport. After seeing what was happening in college football, last November I made my first ever social platform post on the BY to voice concern re the inevitable carryover to WCBB. Posters generally assured it would be a transitory (my word choice) phenomena, and the top coaches would figure it out. Not reassured I posted similar concerns on McGraw's Bench, and with a couple of exceptions was provided the same assurance. A brief review of what's happened since:

After recruiting the #1 class Texas A&M FB coach Jimbo Fisher was accused by other coaches of buying recruits with NIL deals. His response was a wimpy denial accompanied by a counter-accusation of hypocrisy at his accusers. Earlier this year an unnamed high school QB and his parents visited Tennessee where he received a not-denied NIL offer of around $2million/year or could be worth up to $8million if he stayed the full 4 years. This will surely not be lost on Kellie Harper who is working to return her program to its Pat Summitt legacy. Nor on Vic Schaefer, who is no slouch at recruiting and also has a very wealthy fan base. And let's not forget Oregon's Kelly Graves, also no recruiting slouch, who has Nike's Phil Knight and their own NIL possibilities.

The above is by way of saying this is moving towards the professionalizing and transactionalizing of college sports (some would say already so in Men's FB). There are already forms of Free-Agency and One-and Done in WCBB with the Transfer Portal. A distinction re NILs: Paige's NIL deals resulted from sponsors approaching her, which are the kind I endorse. The deleterious NILs are used as recruiting tools to sign high school players, those in the portal, and as night follows day, even used as lures to attract players from their existing teams. Both UConn and ND will be at a strong disadvantage in this scenario.

Try this thought exercise: Aliyah Boston will be a a graduating senior next year with 1 year of eligibility remaining. A school on the precipice of an NC puts together a multi-million dollar NIL deal for her to transfer and become the first player to win NCs at 2 schools, with additional jillions to follow. All legal! And then what? Is that what BYers or Benchers signed up for when passionately following their favorite teams? By the way don't bet on the NCAA or Congress trying to reign in anything that benefits players.

I began following WCBB and UConn approximately 12 years ago because Geno's teams played a beautiful flowing game, defying the odds the legacy and culture he built from scratch, against one-and-done of the men's game, and building high schoollers into elite athletes during their 4-year careers. I have admired the ND program as well, and their duels brought out the best in each other. And though Benchers don't want to accept it, Geno's alumni love him! But with my reasons for following WCBB rapidly becoming obsolete, so is my passion for doing so. If WCBB is to have quasi transactional/professional players not imbued with wanting to play for ND or Geno/UConn, what's the point of following them versus a fantasy league?

If I'm still lucky enough to be on the planet, for the next 2 years I'll enthusiastically follow the truly extraordinary Paige, Azzi, CD et al but will then move on.

Reaction Score
I am afraid your assessment is correct.

However the horse is out of the barn, never to return. WCBB is set to become as corrupt as the men's game, it is only a matter of time before the women's game has its own version of Rick Pitino & other coaches infamous for their shady and in some instances criminal conduct when recruiting players.

Reaction Score
NIL and Transfer Portal threads have for the most part posted separately, and their conversations siloed. They are in fact together part of what's happening and will eventually negatively impact my favorite college sport. After seeing what was happening in college football, last November I made my first ever social platform post on the BY to voice concern re the inevitable carryover to WCBB. Posters generally assured it would be a transitory (my word choice) phenomena, and the top coaches would figure it out. Not reassured I posted similar concerns on McGraw's Bench, and with a couple of exceptions was provided the same assurance. A brief review of what's happened since:

After recruiting the #1 class Texas A&M FB coach Jimbo Fisher was accused by other coaches of buying recruits with NIL deals. His response was a wimpy denial accompanied by a counter-accusation of hypocrisy at his accusers. Earlier this year an unnamed high school QB and his parents visited Tennessee where he received a not-denied NIL offer of around $2million/year or could be worth up to $8million if he stayed the full 4 years. This will surely not be lost on Kellie Harper who is working to return her program to its Pat Summitt legacy. Nor on Vic Schaefer, who is no slouch at recruiting and also has a very wealthy fan base. And let's not forget Oregon's Kelly Graves, also no recruiting slouch, who has Nike's Phil Knight and their own NIL possibilities.

The above is by way of saying this is moving towards the professionalizing and transactionalizing of college sports (some would say already so in Men's FB). There are already forms of Free-Agency and One-and Done in WCBB with the Transfer Portal. A distinction re NILs: Paige's NIL deals resulted from sponsors approaching her, which are the kind I endorse. The deleterious NILs are used as recruiting tools to sign high school players, those in the portal, and as night follows day, even used as lures to attract players from their existing teams. Both UConn and ND will be at a strong disadvantage in this scenario.

Try this thought exercise: Aliyah Boston will be a a graduating senior next year with 1 year of eligibility remaining. A school on the precipice of an NC puts together a multi-million dollar NIL deal for her to transfer and become the first player to win NCs at 2 schools, with additional jillions to follow. All legal! And then what? Is that what BYers or Benchers signed up for when passionately following their favorite teams? By the way don't bet on the NCAA or Congress trying to reign in anything that benefits players.

I began following WCBB and UConn approximately 12 years ago because Geno's teams played a beautiful flowing game, defying the odds the legacy and culture he built from scratch, against one-and-done of the men's game, and building high schoollers into elite athletes during their 4-year careers. I have admired the ND program as well, and their duels brought out the best in each other. And though Benchers don't want to accept it, Geno's alumni love him! But with my reasons for following WCBB rapidly becoming obsolete, so is my passion for doing so. If WCBB is to have quasi transactional/professional players not imbued with wanting to play for ND or Geno/UConn, what's the point of following them versus a fantasy league?

If I'm still lucky enough to be on the planet, for the next 2 years I'll enthusiastically follow the truly extraordinary Paige, Azzi, CD et al but will then move on.
An excellent and equally sad commentary.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

This is not the college athletics I grew up loving. It is already a pro sport (for power5 in most sports) and I am saddened by the fact that it will get worse before it gets any better. I understand the "taking care of the players" but to what extent..... ?

Reaction Score
I am afraid your assessment is correct.

However the horse is out of the barn, never to return. WCBB is set to become as corrupt as the men's game, it is only a matter of time before the women's game has its own version of Rick Pitino & other coaches infamous for their shady and in some instances criminal conduct when recruiting players.
Just don’t take it out on the kids. Lots of underprivileged need that money.

Reaction Score
Sounds bad but Aliyah is one of those players Ionescu, Griner and Skylar Diggins types. Too good, didn't come to UConn and they just need to go away into the night. "It'll be a good day when they graduate," says the opponent. The only difference is Lobo, Breanna, Diana, Maya and Sue were those players longer. Complete headaches for everyone else and now Ibuprofen feels foreign.

Reaction Score
I noticed the blond twins that were the first big NIL hits were both in the transfer portal!Apparently team not doing enough to keep them in the money :rolleyes:
Wow! I saw your comments and had to look it up, about the transfer portal part. I wish them well with their choices.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
As I said in the Reese transfer thread, kids will now try to figure out the best deal. It is no longer amateur sports, beyond whatever some programs were already doing to ”incentivize” recruits and their families. It ain’t pretty, it’s losing the rah, rah fun of college sports, it will raise expectations for performances justifying the size of incentives. It begs the question, should “big time” program schools just form leagues where they sponsor teams, pay the athletes and if the player wants to actually go to college, let them apply like any other student. It’s becoming less far fetched as an idea pretty quickly and not for the better in my old fashioned view.

Reaction Score
How about some Bigs ? Kylee Watson , Kennedy Brown both in portal
we're top 25 out of HS . We have plenty of great / very good 1,2,3 's,
3-4's (counting 2 freshman) . We could use more depth at 5 to bang around
Boston, Cardozo, Saxton, Brink, Betts and others.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO this will only hasten Geno's departure. I get the feeling he will want no part of this. If kids want to come to UCONN, it will be for his version of the right reasons. Kids can still make tons of $ coming to UCONN from NIL's, but only for deals on their own, or approached to them by companies, not set up by Geno and co. to lure them in.

I think the fact that Paige has so many followers shines a spotlight on her and UCONN, so maybe other UCONN players get more looks from NIL companies than other teams who don't have a spotlight player on the roster (Haley Van Lith at L'ville comes to mind too).

Maybe Geno was always planning to retire in 3-4 years (when Azzi graduates), but I suspect he will want no part of what seems to be coming. It's too bad. The sleaze will win, and the good guys will lose.

Reaction Score
IMHO this will only hasten Geno's departure. I get the feeling he will want no part of this. If kids want to come to UCONN, it will be for his version of the right reasons. Kids can still make tons of $ coming to UCONN from NIL's, but only for deals on their own, or approached to them by companies, not set up by Geno and co. to lure them in.

I think the fact that Paige has so many followers shines a spotlight on her and UCONN, so maybe other UCONN players get more looks from NIL companies than other teams who don't have a spotlight player on the roster (Haley Van Lith at L'ville comes to mind too).

Maybe Geno was always planning to retire in 3-4 years (when Azzi graduates), but I suspect he will want no part of what seems to be coming. It's too bad. The sleaze will win, and the good guys will lose.
Cavinder twins have 3 mill followers, I don't see anyone running to go to Fresno State.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the women's game, I do not see the interest (or money) from the schools to go on pure bidding wars to attract NPOY types. Furthermore, I think whatever incremental gains that may occur at a team level would be offset by bad public relations. Even if these things are done under the table, it would come out.

Reaction Score

These thoughts came to mind when I read this paragraph, because I'm not sure if this could happen:

1) How would a school be able to approach Boston with an NIL if she is still attending South Carolina? Yes, I get people chat and "agreements are made", but schools still have to report they haven't had inappropriate contact. Is it worth it for it to possibly blow up in their face and have to deal with sanctions afterwards?

2) The NCAA sat on their hands for decades with respect to compensating players since the O'Bannon case. Heck, they dragged their feet on NIL until the last possible moment when states started to pass laws to allow it. If they can find a way to get some of their control back, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried. The NCAA is about profits in the end, not the athletes. Look at the disparity on the women's side of sports if anything.

3) Basketball has been professionalized in some aspects for years and it's trickled down to the HS level now. This isn't the fault of NIL, it's the culture and how we look at sports overall in my opinion.

4) I have a different thought about what fans signed up for. Yes it sucks when your favourite player leaves a program, but we see coaches leave for better opportunities and I don't hear the same cries about loyalty. We can't expect athletes to be held to a different standard if it's not expected out of coaches as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom