Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal, Spring 2022 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

What is it with Maryland?!?! They keep having their top players transfer. It's almost epidemic. Contrast that with Connecticut, which has never had a top player transfer to another team.

Reaction Score
Owusu said on her instagram that her goal was to be a national champion. It would seem that would give us a clue to why she's transferring and where to potentially.

Reaction Score
Reese is obviously a very talented player. But who of Edwards, Dorka, Brady, Patterson, Ducharme, DeBerry or Gabriel gets less playing time and moves further down the bench ?
Answer: All of them, which would increase the risk of some of them leaving.
Stanford and SC use a lot of players in their games, are they having mass exodus? I don’t think this argument holds water. There are 200 minutes available, that’s enough time for 10 people to get 20 minutes each. Of course, key players should get more, but there is time to get significant game time for many players. What happened to the “Everyone Eats” idea? Happy players will stay and will lead to more championships

Reaction Score
Stanford and SC use a lot of players in their games, are they having mass exodus? I don’t think this argument holds water. There are 200 minutes available, that’s enough time for 10 people to get 20 minutes each. Of course, key players should get more, but there is time to get significant game time for many players. What happened to the “Everyone Eats” idea? Happy players will stay and will lead to more championships
Are you arguing for more players and against the way Geno allocates playing minutes or for more players with Geno continuing to use players as he has the last 10 years ?
It seems that you want 13 or 14 players on the roster. Even giving 10 players, 20 minutes each (something that won't happen), that still leaves multiple players without playing time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Everyone eats but it does not say everyone eats "equally" as you are advocating . I'm fine with 10 players getting 20 MPG each just as long as you can arrange for the UCONN opponents to do likewise. I like our chances with players like Boston of SC only getting 20 MPG.

Reaction Score
Everyone eats but it does not say everyone eats "equally" as you are advocating . I'm fine with 10 players getting 20 MPG each just as long as you can arrange for the UCONN opponents to do likewise. I like our chances with players like Boston of SC only getting 20 MPG.
on UConn some players only get leftovers...........;)

Reaction Score
Owusu said on her instagram that her goal was to be a national champion. It would seem that would give us a clue to why she's transferring and where to potentially.
To me, that would narrow down to UConn, South Carolina, Stanford, Louisville, and Texas.

UConn’s perimeter/guard corps are already stacked so don’t think that’s her destination.

SC could have used her 48 hours ago but took Fletcher (who is actually my preference as a fan given her all-around two-way game). Don’t see this as a fit either.

Stanford certainly doesn’t resolve this year’s lead guard issues with the graduation of Wilson and the Hulls, so this could make sense positionally, but Stanford is not easy to get into, does not have a reputation for accepting transfers, and is literally as far away geographically as one could get from Maryland (Owusu is from VA).

Louisville would seem to be an attractive destination for her. Owusu and Van Lith would make for a stellar backcourt. Not sure she plays Jeff’s style of defense, which also makes me hesitant to think of…

…Texas, where defense seemingly matters above all else. There is opportunity here, but I think she’d have to make significant strides on the other end of the floor.

My guess is Louisville but won’t be surprised if it’s none of the above.

Reaction Score
Anything on Kennedy Brown ??? 6'6" has entered the portal from Oregon State...

Reaction Score
From ESPN:

KBrown.png

Reaction Score
I believe Kennedy Brown's younger sister has committed to IOWA STATE , a
freshman to be. I would not be surprised with Ashley Joens returning for
an additional year that Iowa State has the inside track. The Brown's are
from Kansas (?) so the geography may be also in favor of that happening.
I need to check my facts, but I believe that my memory is correct.
That being said, Ms. K. Brown may be the best "big = 6' 6"!! available.
Note: there is also that 6' 4" lady from Oregon State, but she was pretty
much a part timer ( injury?) . Roll the Dice , Geno, we are all waiting. Z

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Maybe something in the Transfer Portal thread on the General WBB sub forum? I know at least one OSU player was discussed, not positive if it is Brown.

Reaction Score
Anything on Kennedy Brown ??? 6'6" has entered the portal from Oregon State...
" Brown is a skilled back-to-the-basket player, but her weapons extend to the arc. She is comfortable attacking from the perimeter and she models her game after Breanna Stewart and Elena Delle Donne."

Brown also considered UCLA, Louisville, Oklahoma, Baylor and Oregon.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
From what I've seen I don't think she'd be of much help to UCONN next year. Iowa State seems like a good landing spot, she could compete for a starting spot from the get go.

Reaction Score
" Brown is a skilled back-to-the-basket player, but her weapons extend to the arc. She is comfortable attacking from the perimeter and she models her game after Breanna Stewart and Elena Delle Donne."

Brown also considered UCLA, Louisville, Oklahoma, Baylor and Oregon.
In before Nan moves the thread.

Iowa State would be great for her. Could she bring some defense to Oklahoma? Hold Ayoka Lee under 50?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah, Brown is really not gonna be a player who could help UConn. Bringing up Stewie and Delle Donne is ridiculous, she's not even remotely close to that type of player. Jones from OSU has been much more productive between the two of them.

Reaction Score
I checked, Addy Brown , Kennedy's sister, committed to Iowa State on March17, 2022.
But ..she is graduating in 2023, a current Junior ! Addy is a 6 ' 3" wing out of Derby
H.S. in Kansas, where her sister also played. Of note, in the DesMoines Newspaper article
it reported that another Joens sister also will be going to Iowa State, Kelsey. Kelsey is also in the
H.S. class of 2023. Sounds like a link similiar to N.D. and the Mabrey sisters!

Reaction Score
I checked, Addy Brown , Kennedy's sister, committed to Iowa State on March17, 2022.
But ..she is graduating in 2023, a current Junior ! Addy is a 6 ' 3" wing out of Derby
H.S. in Kansas, where her sister also played. Of note, in the DesMoines Newspaper article
it reported that another Joens sister also will be going to Iowa State, Kelsey. Kelsey is also in the
H.S. class of 2023. Sounds like a link similiar to N.D. and the Mabrey sisters!
At least the Mabrey sisters didn’t have a disruptive parent to deal with.

Reaction Score
Sara Scalia is one of the better 3-point shooting guards in college basketball. She has had games where her shots are not dropping, like 1-11, on the way to a loss. In games like that she maybe needs to be protected. One reason she left Minnesota is because shooting guard/combo guard Mara Braun is coming in. Braun is closer to Paige Bueckers' talent level than Scalia. Lindsay Whalen's coaching staff also has room to grow. The Hall of Famer Whalen went straight from the WNBA to coaching Big Ten basketball. The program hasn't been focused or driven enough. She'll get there... So Scalia is one of the better shooting guards as long as you work around her cold spells.

Reaction Score
Minnesota also had a player transfer hours before a game this past season. I've seen Sara play, she's an exciting player, she can shoo

Minnesota also had a player transfer hours before a game this past season. I've seen Sara play, she's an exciting player, she can shoot.
The starter who quit before a game was not doing well as a starter. That was Jasmine Powell. Against Iowa she went 0-5 on field goals and 0-3 on 3-pointers, plus 2 turnovers, before replaced. Power had 59 turnovers on18 starts and a field goal percentage of .322 as a guard.

Reaction Score
I think Sara would be a great pickup. She can absolutely light it up and another top 3 point shooter would really benefit us. Don't think she's strong defensively but she would be a sub for us and we could use her. She can't carry a top team as that is a tall task for any player but she would be a solid supplement.

Reaction Score
Getting a lot of attention on the Notre Dame site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom