Transfer portal - outbound | Page 47 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
there are a lot of good players in the transfer portal. Interesting that Edsall wants to build on jucos versus players that were playing at FBS and FCS schools. Did you think about why those players were on juco teams and not on FCS and FBS teams?

I'm sorry this is difficult for you to process.

• With JUCOs you get kids with game tape.
    • Kids that will talk to UConn in the portal are kids that have virtually no game tape at the D1 level. I watched this staff twitter stalk portal kids for the past two years. We couldn't get anywhere with any kid that actually saw the field. They always had better offers elsewhere. That's our reality as a 6-30 program for the past three years.
  • With JUCOs you get kids with two years. Most, but not all portal kids have 1 year remaining. There are exceptions, but exceptions seems to be a difficult concept for you.
  • With JUCOs you get a slower recruiting process. The kids, the process typically can take several weeks or longer during which time you get access to a ton more contact. Contact with the family, their current coaches and their teachers. In the portal, this process isn't quiet the same principally because the programs they are leaving will not be particularly useful for discussing the character questions....if you can even get anyone at that program to respond.
  • With JUCOs you get a kid that probably will find everything about UConn to be a big step up; facilities, crowds, attention, support. Portal kids from P5 land will be much more difficult to impress....in fact we are a clear down grade.
  • Its easier to tell a JUCO kid they will have to earn their spot as a starter. Portal kids want assurances they will be starters (which is somewhat understandable). Except for a few positions like QB, K, P or perhaps OC, we can't guaranty make that guaranty....unless we are talking about a much higher caliber portal kid and those we never get to talk too so....
  • JUCOs can't sign and leave at any time like Grads.
  • JUCOs are probably easier for us to process for academic admissions, grads might need to wait longer and we are probably more selective.
  • I think its easier to flush out medical issues with JUCOs...with portal kids access to surrounding adults and interaction with the present school is limited.

And about Morgan, my understanding is that he came here because of a personal connection with a player or staff member on the women's basketball team. Morgan barely saw the field at ND. I dont think we land Morgan w/o that unique connection.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think they call that insecurity or lack of confidence. These comments shouldn't affect any of the outgoing players unless they really do have a self issue. When some speak up, we find out who those players are. The ones that remain quiet are doing what's best for them the humble way. If your secure and confident in your ability and your decision, a one or two sentence comment shouldn't bother you one bit.
The reason I don't post in threads on the Boneyard is that posters there are arrogant and entitled and too stupid to be worth my time arguing with. Don't take this as directed at you even though I put this as a reply to your posting as I am sure you are confident in your ability to post and this comment shouldn't bother you one bit.

Reaction Score
The reason I don't post in threads on the Boneyard is that posters there are arrogant and entitled and too stupid to be worth my time arguing with. Don't take this as directed at you even though I put this as a reply to your posting as I am sure you are confident in your ability to post and this comment shouldn't bother you one bit.
Post away!

Reaction Score
Bigger picture with Edsall's comment - or basically what he was trying to say and what he should have said.

With 25 spots to fill he would rather recruit and develop kids for 4-5 years than take a shot on a 1 year fix. The use of scholarships and contributions from the crop of grad transfers does not provide the long term value. For locker room stability and development of the desired culture the team needs to be grown via recruits and not short term patches. However, when the roster has stabilized and the culture has developed certain grad transfers may be considered.

Reaction Score
Bigger picture with Edsall's comment - or basically what he was trying to say and what he should have said.

With 25 spots to fill he would rather recruit and develop kids for 4-5 years than take a shot on a 1 year fix. The use of scholarships and contributions from the crop of grad transfers does not provide the long term value. For locker room stability and development of the desired culture the team needs to be grown via recruits and not short term patches. However, when the roster has stabilized and the culture has developed certain grad transfers may be considered.
DING DING DING!!! Temery tell him what he’s won!!!

Edsall isn’t a good enough coach or recruiter to have the roster be a revolving door. He needs kids to stay long enough to build something and sustain it. I still don’t believe he turns this thing around. He is what he is a below average HC, who may occasionally win 8-games if a recruiting class sticks it out for four years. However, kids today want instant gratification. If the team isn’t winning or the kid isn’t playing, the kids are going to jump ship. Randy isn’t stopping that from happening. That’s why the issue isn’t what Randy said but how he said it. Randy is never getting a 4* or 5* kid out of the portal. He should have said nothing. But we all know Randy is always the smartest guy in the room and the mic was on. He’s either an idiot or a marketing genius because even bad publicity....is still publicity. People are talking about Randy and UConn Football :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kids are at JUCOs for a number of reasons. Could be grades. Could be lack of recruiting visibility. Could be discipline issues. And, it can also be that a kid wants to play FBS football, but he wasn't developed enough to get an FBS scholarship at the time. In the Northeast, kids go to prep schools for a post grad year, but JUCOs fill that role in most of the country.

Case in point is Sidney Walker, a UConn recruit this year. He was an underdeveloped kid who went to JUCO to become a JUCO honorable mention All American OL.

I agree, it usually seems to be grades or discipline issues. Many schools shy away from juco recruits for these very reasons. It’s interesting that Edsall prefers the juco recruits to guys that actually had scholarship offers from FBS and FCS schools.

Reaction Score
I don't get the stigma WRT Juco's, and frankly UConn right now needs to utilize every avenue to improve the roster depth and quality.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I'm sorry this is difficult for you to process.

• With JUCOs you get kids with game tape.
    • Kids that will talk to UConn in the portal are kids that have virtually no game tape at the D1 level. I watched this staff twitter stalk portal kids for the past two years. We couldn't get anywhere with any kid that actually saw the field. They always had better offers elsewhere. That's our reality as a 6-30 program for the past three years.
  • With JUCOs you get kids with two years. Most, but not all portal kids have 1 year remaining. There are exceptions, but exceptions seems to be a difficult concept for you.
  • With JUCOs you get a slower recruiting process. The kids, the process typically can take several weeks or longer during which time you get access to a ton more contact. Contact with the family, their current coaches and their teachers. In the portal, this process isn't quiet the same principally because the programs they are leaving will not be particularly useful for discussing the character questions....if you can even get anyone at that program to respond.
  • With JUCOs you get a kid that probably will find everything about UConn to be a big step up; facilities, crowds, attention, support. Portal kids from P5 land will be much more difficult to impress....in fact we are a clear down grade.
  • Its easier to tell a JUCO kid they will have to earn their spot as a starter. Portal kids want assurances they will be starters (which is somewhat understandable). Except for a few positions like QB, K, P or perhaps OC, we can't guaranty make that guaranty....unless we are talking about a much higher caliber portal kid and those we never get to talk too so....
  • JUCOs can't sign and leave at any time like Grads.
  • JUCOs are probably easier for us to process for academic admissions, grads might need to wait longer and we are probably more selective.
  • I think its easier to flush out medical issues with JUCOs...with portal kids access to surrounding adults and interaction with the present school is limited.

And about Morgan, my understanding is that he came here because of a personal connection with a player or staff member on the women's basketball team. Morgan barely saw the field at ND. I dont think we land Morgan w/o that unique connection.
I might add that RE said that some kids in the portal don't have the grades to get into grad school or even the grades to get in as undergrads. That adds to the frustration.

Reaction Score
Can you read? I have twice made the point that I am not talking about former UConn players "killing it" None of them have actually killed and I don't expect any of the current 25 to kill, though some may be decent players. I am talking about all the potential incoming players who could be killing it at UConn. The same 1,000 or so player who Edsall seems to think he can do without. Edsall should be taking any good player wherever it comes from. Heaven knows, we have enough players who can't play at this level. It is basically the same point you made later - we are in agreement.
I reread it again. Apparently not. My bad. Lol.

Reaction Score
We could have Nick Saban as HC and he might have been able to must 2 more wins with Diaco’s D2 recruits.
No offense I don't think we would win even one more game with Nick Saban as our coach. unfortunately our talent level was just not there. The recruits that Edsall has brought in last year and this year a much,much better players.

Reaction Score
No offense I don't think we would win even one more game with Nick Saban as our coach. unfortunately our talent level was just not there. The recruits that Edsall has brought in last year and this year a much,much better players.

it doesn’t seem like you appreciate the importance of a great coach.

Reaction Score
So in the 30 games lost a guy like Saban would not have found a way to recruit better, scheme better or game manage better to win one more game. If that's true HCRE2.0 should have P5 schools beating down his door after his Saban like perfromances in 2020 and 2021, assuming his next dream school doesn't come calling earlier.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
As a famous coach once said : "it is about the jimmys and joes, not X and Os".

Reaction Score
Or maybe he's a baller and wants to see the field again? I don't blame him OR UConn for this one. We did everything right by him and his exit tweet was very gracious. All I care about is that he stays healthy if he ever gets the chance to strap on his helmet again and that he continues his education.

Reaction Score
Yet he has been a college or pro coach for thirty plus years and here you sit saying he is a moron from your couch lol

The guy has a career losing record - schools that employ him are losers as well and I put my beloved UConn in that group at this point.

He takes no responsibility for anything - you guys are part of the problem - you are willing to rationalize anything for a guy that is a career loser.

I'm not in that profession - but I have built a digital business that is about to be acquired by a large company, so I'm not that big of a moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom