Transfer portal - outbound | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Then start executing your role....Coach!?!? Stop tweeting quotes and start teaching. Start making your players better.

I heard an interview today during the radio broadcast of the Big 12 Championship game. It was a Baylor player talking about Matt Rhule and how they went from 1-11 to 11-1 in two years. He said Rhule, from day 1, coached them like they were 11-1. He didn’t look at the roster and say I don’t like the kids that Coach Briles recruited. “He coached us all hard. He believed that we could be champions. Even when we were 1-11, we could see we were getting better. The next season we earned a bowl bid. We were all like, ‘We want more!’.”

Edsall is full of excuses and doesn’t hold himself accountable. It’s a lack of talent and bad culture. You know who it takes 5-years.....a guy with a sub .500 career record, that hasn’t won anything in a loooooong time. Your past success got you back in the door. Your legacy in Storrs is fading away, like that plane ride you took, into the night sky. Sadly you are what your record says you are. Below average.

The clock is ticking....
Excellent quote by the Baylor player. The problem is we have position coaches, with little or no experience, that can teach the players. There are some decent players on this team but RE needs to play the best players with experience and talent not play them because he has a gut feeling.

Reaction Score
hysterical?
I tend to feel that JH may be speaking what the AD and BoD is thinking
The stands won't get any more empty than what they were last season

you couldn’t be more wrong - it could get even worse in the stands. If the AD and BoD is thinking five years after the disastrous start to HCRE 2.0 they need to go to. Give me a break.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Now hold on there. One thing I am absolutely certain of, as certain as I am that the sun will rise again tomorrow, is that you haven't heard it all yet. Not by a long shot.

Does that change that our leading tackler made more than a few plays??

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm waiting to see what National Signing Day brings. Edsall and his staff will have to make real good on this next recruiting class. I sure hope he can snag his share of transfers. He has a decent schedule now he needs a good crop of athletes. He'll have roughly 8 months to build a team. Got my fingers crossed.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
He’ll bring in the usual assortment of cast offs and projects who aren’t going to be in position to make any meaningful impacts in 2020 and folks here will fawn and say things like “nice tape” and “diamond in the rough”.

Reaction Score
Then start executing your role....Coach!?!? Stop tweeting quotes and start teaching. Start making your players better.

I heard an interview today during the radio broadcast of the Big 12 Championship game. It was a Baylor player talking about Matt Rhule and how they went from 1-11 to 11-1 in two years. He said Rhule, from day 1, coached them like they were 11-1. He didn’t look at the roster and say I don’t like the kids that Coach Briles recruited. “He coached us all hard. He believed that we could be champions. Even when we were 1-11, we could see we were getting better. The next season we earned a bowl bid. We were all like, ‘We want more!’.”

Edsall is full of excuses and doesn’t hold himself accountable. It’s a lack of talent and bad culture. You know who it takes 5-years.....a guy with a sub .500 career record, that hasn’t won anything in a loooooong time. Your past success got you back in the door. Your legacy in Storrs is fading away, like that plane ride you took, into the night sky. Sadly you are what your record says you are. Below average.

The clock is ticking....

This is exactly it for me. Blaming everybody but yourself for 3 years of suckitude. Sorry I don't buy that kind of excuse from a head coach and the guys leaving aren't all lousy negative kids. Things will be worse next year unless he pulls off some miraculous reshuffling of the offensive line and our young QB's are in for a rough time. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The blame I have on this one is with Edsall, why did we waste a precious scholarship roster slot on a one dimensional special teams guy? Should have used it on LB or just about any other position.

Reaction Score
The blame I have on this one is with Edsall, why did we waste a precious scholarship roster slot on a one dimensional special teams guy? Should have used it on LB or just about any other position.

I'm thinking Randy says it's the kid's fault cuz he isn't mentally tough...

Reaction Score
He’ll bring in the usual assortment of cast offs and projects who aren’t going to be in position to make any meaningful impacts in 2020 and folks here will fawn and say things like “nice tape” and “diamond in the rough”.

On the bright side, Edsell's class won't be dead last as an independent like it was in the AAC.

Reaction Score
3-9, 1-11, 2-10. And you get another year! Score 20 a game and give up over 40 and you lose a lot of games. Anyone who is going to help in 2020 is already on the team or will come through the portal. Does that give you the warm and fuzzies? Why would anyone transfer to UConn if they had another choice (that wasn't UMass).

Making the 2020 class field ready as red shirt sophomores in 2022 will be the next coaches job.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Really - how did Edsall handle Eli Thomas? Or how did he handle the Jazz Howard situation? Find out all the facts before you make a judgement because this doesn't jive with the two above examples.
Plus, this medical opinion stuff...well - lets just say everyone has an opinion. Universities and coaches are often in a can't win situation on these matters.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
On the bright side, Edsell's class won't be dead last as an independent like it was in the AAC.
I have been thinking that will be one of the very minor advantages of being independent...no clear comp group

Reaction Score

He'll have to do a hell of a lot better than that this time around. If Benedict isn't pulling the plug immediately then he has to be forming a plan for post Edsall next December. Another season like this one and Benedict might as well pack his bags too. Unless he already has them packed and will let the next AD worry about Edsall. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear in the next few months that Benedict is leaving for his "Dream Job".

Reaction Score
Some who left the program were nudged out. For others it was either leaving for a chance to play at an FCS school or not playing at all. I heard Coyle was the only real surprise. He and Nino Leone (teams always need centers) will likely be the two players who get FBS slots.
We’ll know soon whether this purge happened because they weren’t good enough, weren’t team players, or whether it’s a darker indication of a real disconnect between Edsall and reality. Since I don’t think Edsall’s going anywhere, our hope should be that he’s putting together a heck of a recruiting class along with some key selections from the portal. Until we see what he announces on signing day we’re all viewing these moves through the prism of our existing opinions about Edsall.

Reaction Score
I don’t post on the football board very often but I’ll say I heard from a pretty high level source that unless something MAJOR happens (something bigger than guys transferring), Randy is getting 5 years. He has underwhelmed thus far without question but it’s also very clear Randy is not a fan of the guys Diaco recruited, both as players and young men. So these transfers, to me, are not concerning or surprising. He’s weeding out the Diaco recruits. In his fifth year, Randy’s recruits will be seniors and if there’s no improvement by then it will be time to move on. I know the past 3 years have been disastrous and I know people are probably sick of hearing “it takes time to build a program” but it really does. The talent and culture from the Diaco era was bad to say the least. Randy is trying to turn that around but he only has so long of a leash...

Randy will more than likely get 5 years as 1)He is dirt cheap by major college standards, and 2)The amount of uncertainty surrounding the move to independence makes hiring difficult. If he or Uconn have any desire to win they both better do some soul searching and make some real changes.

Here is what I would recommend for a program in Uconn's difficult position.

1)Double the budget for assistants at a minimum. This is on the AD to find a way to make it happen. You can not be hilariously undermanned in both numbers and quality and hope to compete. Uconn has coordinators who barely qualify as position coaches at most P5 Schools. Quite honestly they would likely be off field analysts at top programs. That is not acceptable. Either put money into the program or kill it.

2)Recognize the reality that 2019 CFB is not 2009 CFB. The idea that you can red shirt a bunch of kids and develop them slowly over 5 years is over. If you successfully manage to develop some unheralded prospects into legit contributors, there is a high probability that they could transfer out to play on a winning team. Rutgers lost their center and team captain Jonah Jackson to OSU. You can combat this some by keeping kids engaged. There is no reason with the 4 game exemption kids are given w/o burning a shirt that more of your freshman shouldn't be getting time. This isn't The Junction Boys where you got to earn everything you get. If kids don't get playing time they start looking for some place where they might. Especially when games are blow outs. Let them play a few series and develop.

3)Loosen the academic standards for football players. FFS this needed to happen a long time ago. There are a multitude of quality players who could be quality students given an opportunity. There is a reason you employ academic support staff. Let them earn their paychecks. Many of these kids have disadvantaged upbringings and are never taught how to study. Work with them. Often the gains made are stunning. Some will still flame out, but the majority will succeed and be better for having done the work. Uconn is a very good school but it needs to accept that it is not NW or Stanford. If you want to operate like you are some kind of pseudo Ivy League Team drop down to FCS and see if you can join. If you want to be a competitive G5 Program or a future P5 Program act like one.

4)Utilize the portal and Juco Programs to build depth and experience. SMU jump started their program by aggressively using the portal. Uconn can't be just toes in with it, they need to be both feet in. I would recruit the hell out of college aged kids with college development to bolster your ranks. I'd do this heavily for the next 2-3 years. The program desperately needs to get on par athletically with its competition. Otherwise when your own developed players portal out you will be replacing them with young kids. Quite frankly in a 25+ incoming class a program like Uconn should be looking at 15-16 freshmen, 3-4 Jucos, and 5-7 Transfers. You can still RS Jucos and transfers to space out classes. Uconn needs a talent infusion and this is how its done.

5) Modernize the offense. You can not play checkers while everyone else is playing chess. Uconn needs to utilize a spread offense that focuses on creating and exploiting mismatches. Trying to play 1970's Big 10 Football like you are Woody or Bo is a recipe for failure at the G5 Level. Successfully playing this way requires large and talented offensive lines, dynamic running backs and solid game manager type QBs. Wisconsin can do this. Uconn can definitely not. Find a well versed coordinator who is looking to make a name for themselves and move up the ladder. If you get 2-3 seasons out of him that's fine. Employ the same process and go forward.

Reaction Score
Does that change that our leading tackler made more than a few plays??

Dan, I wasn't commenting specifically on your post or a specific situation. Just saying that if anyone thinks they've heard it all during recent years of frustrating and disappointing UConn football, I'm certain you/we haven't.

Reaction Score
UWF has RFr QB who had led UWF to D2 Nat'l semifinals.

Maybe we strike gold the second time around.

I'm stunned that an oft injured D2 QB couldn't get it done playing P5 Competition. I don't wish the kid any ill will as I'm sure he busted his a** while at Uconn, but maybe its time to call it a career and join the real world. As for recruiting D2 Prospects hopefully this is a lesson learned. Sure one in 10,000 might make the NFL and everybody will point their finger and say see there is talent there. However the overwhelming majority are there because that is where they belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom