Tranghese talks UCONN, ACC and Boston College | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tranghese talks UCONN, ACC and Boston College

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So you think it will be harder to grow hockey than it was football or basketball at UConn? C'mon.
I do not follow hockey too close. I will now with the upgrade. Did BC try to keep Uconn out of Hockey East ?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think it is laughable that he asked T his opinions on football. Tranghese never forecasted football, never understod it's influence. T is the wrong guy to ask football questions.

CTEagle and BC fans should just bug off. Yeah, maybe a new writer for the Globe will make BC relevant again :rollseyes:

Tobacco Road's .

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
bc hockey is like unc bball. were not catching up to them in the next 20 years. but we can play competitive puck with them in the present and win some games and maybe a series one day down the line. it would be like central ct bball passing bye uconn bball.

the rest of that ath dept has been passed.

Reaction Score
the one thing Tranghese said that I agree with is that realignment has killed any chance of generating interest in college football in the northeast. There are millions of people, most of whom have significantly higher household incomes than those people who live in the south, that just don't care a all about college football. They care a lot about the Giants, Jets, Patriots, Cowboys, Bears and Packers. It's too bad.

Thi is where I think the admin at BC made a mistake with UConn. HAving a local rival increases the interst in your team dramatically. It is what drives college sports. Not having Duke play hoops on your campus every two years or FSU come every two years. Its playing a blood rival every year. BC has one potential blood rival...Uconn

Reaction Score
bc hockey is like unc bball. were not catching up to them in the next 20 years. but we can play competitive puck with them in the present and win some games and maybe a series one day down the line. it would be like central ct bball passing bye uconn bball.

the rest of that ath dept has been passed.
this is correct. when were we ever behind bc in basketball?

Reaction Score
So you think it will be harder to grow hockey than it was football or basketball at UConn? C'mon.
yes. bc is far and away the best program in the country over the last 10-12 years, bar none, and one of the top five of all time. uconn is one of the four or five worst. surpassing bc's hockey program is decades away at the least, if ever.

Reaction Score
yes. bc is far and away the best program in the country over the last 10-12 years, bar none, and one of the top five of all time. uconn is one of the four or five worst. surpassing bc's hockey program is decades away at the least, if ever.

you're likely correct, but you never know. it's always possible their hockey could implode like the rest of their sports; never underestimate Gene's incompetence. i think it's telling that their most successful and popular athletic endeavor is in a regional conference

Reaction Score
BC hockey fans' worst nightmare is Gene finding out we have a hockey program.

To put it in perspective, since the turn of the millenium, BC has won more HE championships than everyone else in the conf combined and there's a 50/50 shot BC will be in the National Title game.
If you want to see a BC fan go into full panic mode, tell him you just saw Gene at a a learn to skate program at Hockeytown over on Route 1.

Reaction Score
BC has probably the best hockey coach in the country right now, too but he is getting close to retirement, I'd guess he's 67-68ish. Just as UConn fans worry about who will replace Calhoun, BC fans have to be nervous about who replaces Jerry York. Especially if Gene is the one who picks the replacement...I also think it might not be unheard of for a post-York BC program to take a few steps back. And if Gene is doing the picking he might just bring back Steve Cedorchuck...

Reaction Score
York shows no sign of slowing down, despite his age (just look at his record as he's gotten older). My guess is he's still 5+ years away from it but no one really knows whenever it's brought up he talks about how much he loves going to the rink every morning, etc .

His replacement is already behind the bench with him and has been for a decade+ which is huge.

But don't worry BC hockey fans have been hating Gene long before you guys did -he got booed at the hockey parade this past April.
While I get that you expect that his assistant will replace him, that only works on occasion. I don't expect him to retire soon either, but as he gets closer to 70 it becomes more and more problematic. And I don't care who replaces him, Jerry York is one of the best coaches of all time. Assuming his successor will also be one of the best coaches of all times too is a bit over enthusiastic...

Reaction Score
'You reap what you sow'

BC and other schools in the ACC still want no part of UConn as a member because of the lawsuit. Yes, Pitt joined in the lawsuit but the ACC perception is that the lawsuit was a UConn production and people generally do not want to do business with people who have sued them previously.

Now not to say that the other ACC schools would not have exerted their influence and tried to get the schools that oppose UConn to accept them as a member if UConn had been a better choice based on TV markets, etc. but that was not the case. Conferences add the most attractive teams first and the ACC did so in adding Miami, BC, VT, Syracuse and Pitt and the Big12 took TCU and WVU from the BE.

Reaction Score
'
BC and other schools in the ACC still want no part of UConn as a member because of the lawsuit.

K and Roy's public comments after SU and Pitt were added very much make this point quite untrue. Unless they were talking about some other "east coast school with a rich and strong basketball tradition" as member 15/16. Perhaps they were lobbying for Central.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
When/if UConn gets into a major conference, Observer will disappear.

To be fair, we have a number of excellent BC posters here. We also have to put up with CTeagle and obsverer.

Reaction Score
'You reap what you sow'

BC and other schools in the ACC still want no part of UConn as a member because of the lawsuit. Yes, Pitt joined in the lawsuit but the ACC perception is that the lawsuit was a UConn production and people generally do not want to do business with people who have sued them previously.

Now not to say that the other ACC schools would not have exerted their influence and tried to get the schools that oppose UConn to accept them as a member if UConn had been a better choice based on TV markets, etc. but that was not the case. Conferences add the most attractive teams first and the ACC did so in adding Miami, BC, VT, Syracuse and Pitt and the Big12 took TCU and WVU from the BE.

BCU attractive?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
'You reap what you sow'

OMG, just go away. You have no clue what you are talking about and the school you root for has slid into the crapper. Please, take your bleating someplace else. You add nothing to the conversation and if you're just trying to troll, you're failing at that as well.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
BC%2Bsucks.jpg

Reaction Score
funny, when i saw the first one, i wondered how long it'd take you to post this. i would've done it at work but they block collegehumor there.

trest - for realz, was done by a few northeastern kids.

U

UConn9604

BC and other schools in the ACC still want no part of UConn as a member because of the lawsuit.

Just wondering -- what makes you think that you have the capacity to speak for other schools in the ACC? You're only attractive to Donna Shalala (which speaks volumes). If they could have taken Miami without you, they would have done it. (Oh, wait. They did: http://www.bceagles.com/genrel/063003aaa.html)

Anyway, I think Mike Krzyzewski has certainly earned the right to speak for others -- and which schools do you think he's referring to in this passage, anyway?

If the two schools are to join the ACC, Krzyzewski doesn't want the conference to stop at 14 teams. He said he'd like to see 16 teams, taking two more schools that have comparable rich basketball traditions and are in the Eastern time zone.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-pittsburgh-panthers-syracuse-orange-coup-acc

Reaction Score
Just wondering -- what makes you think that you have the capacity to speak for other schools in the ACC? You're only attractive to Donna Shalala (which speaks volumes). If they could have taken Miami without you, they would have done it. (Oh, wait. They did: http://www.bceagles.com/genrel/063003aaa.html)

Anyway, I think Mike Krzyzewski has certainly earned the right to speak for others -- and which schools do you think he's referring to in this passage, anyway?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-pittsburgh-panthers-syracuse-orange-coup-acc
everyone knows that Coack K was referring to PC and Seton Hall...

Kidding aside, I didn't understand when the article was originially published why the author thought Uconn and Rutgers... Rutgers? they have been the defintion of underachievers in the BE since they have been members. Their motto is "Do less with more".... Their slogan is "Over promise, under deliver"....

Under a bb lense, Uconn is an obvious ACC target. But would Rutgers really be the 16th team? from a BB perspective? I would think Louisville, but is that too far out of the ACC footprint? ignore academics...

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I do not follow hockey too close. I will now with the upgrade. Did BC try to keep Uconn out of Hockey East ?
Actually I think I read that BC supported UConn joining Hockey East. If there's any indication that hockey is an entirely different animal, it's this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom