Tranghese talks UCONN, ACC and Boston College | The Boneyard

Tranghese talks UCONN, ACC and Boston College

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Article is written by Mark Blaudschun. Looks like he left the Boston Globe to open up his own website. If you recall he was the guy who interviewed DeFlipper when DeFlipper made the famous ESPN "told us who to pick" comment as well as acknowledging blocking UCONN. Apparently the grudge is alive and well.

"I think Connecticut is in a very precarious situation...I don't know what you can do but clearly you have an institution in the ACC that does not want them there. I don't know what went on during ACC expansion talks, but my instincts tell me there was a lot of support for Connecticut and Syracuse."

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=127

Reaction Score
Mike gets it now. He doesn't even seem to care if UConn leaves the Big East at this point, he knows we deserve better. In regard to BC, it isn't the grudge that keeps us out of the ACC, it is their fear. We are better at almost everything and we have now equaled them academically as well. UConn is the last sleeping giant in college sports left on the table. (Louisville too if you aren't an academic snob)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If his premise that the last raid was improve ACC basketball while simultaneously weakening the Big East, getting UConn is much more effective than getting Pitt.

Reaction Score
UCONN hasn't equaled BC academically. Different missions, better students at BC. BC has done a phenomenal job of upgrading its student body over the past 20 years, similar to what UCONN has done. However, BC started off at a higher level. Each year the gap does grow smaller, yet there is still a pretty decent size gap.

On the grudge aspect, the grudge is personally held by BC's president and DeFilippo. Wrapped up in that is the added threat that UCONN poses to BC's athletic success. That threat provides cover for the BC powers-to-be. This in turn enables Leahy's and DeFilippo's personal animosity towards UCONN to make policy for BC, and in the end, the ACC.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Told you not to take a word seriously that comes from Blauds. He has been, continues to be, and always will be a joke.

I hear this from BC people but never heard why. Seriously, can you explain what the beef is there? I'm genuinely curious.

Reaction Score
Not sure that interview told me anything I did not already know. Including the fact the GDF is in so far over his head he drowned years ago. The fact that he is still firmly entrenched in his job tells me all I need to know about the rest of the BC leadership.

BC fans think this thing is over with UCONN simply because of conference affiliation. I really don't see it that way. At some point you have to have success on the field and court and BC is in a world of hurt on both those.

Reaction Score
I hear this from BC people but never heard why. Seriously, can you explain what the beef is there? I'm genuinely curious.
Think he was very pro Big East, did not like BC leaving, maybe the the BC people didnt think The Globe was very supportive of its athletics. What say you on this claver?

Reaction Score
Mike gets it now. He doesn't even seem to care if UConn leaves the Big East at this point, he knows we deserve better. In regard to BC, it isn't the grudge that keeps us out of the ACC, it is their fear. We are better at almost everything and we have now equaled them academically as well. UConn is the last sleeping giant in college sports left on the table. (Louisville too if you aren't an academic snob)
I despise BC and agree to most of what you said... Uconn is not equal to BC academically...

Reaction Score
HA! When the PSU stuff came down, I told upstater I think, (not sure who I was writing back and forth with) that somwehre, Mike Tranghese is sitting in a corner, and telling anyone who will listen, that he was right about .....x.y.z......things. Blaudschaun was the guy, and it was in a little cafe in Newport probably a short walk from the press conference going on at the Viking. Classic.

I've been crystal clear, many times, that I"m not a Mike T fan. I simply don't believe that he really cares about football at all, beyond the fact that he knew that it was important to maintaining the Big East as the premier basketball conference.

Athletics people, should be running intercollegiate athletics, but it's not that way - university presidents are in charge, and in too many instances, university president's are subject to teh whims of the coaches of the football (and in some cases - basketball) programs at their schools, and that's a big branch of root system of all the problems that exist in intercollegiate athletics.

I disagree with Mike T on the demise of the bowl system, with a growing playoff. The demise will be in teh corruption of the bowl system, and the majority of meaningless bowls will go away. Instead of 35 bowl games, I'd rather see a 15 game playoff system for a champion (with revenue distribution similar to teh BCS) and another 12-15 bowl games for the non-qualifiers to the playoffs that still had great seasons. THose bowl games, would actually have to be viable, and not based on a corrupt money making system.

The bottom line, is that we all know that the ACC has had an inferior complex to Big East basketball for a long, long time, and that football was the tool by which they've done the most damage they possibly can to the Big EAst conference, adn in this last round, of the east coast basketball war, the big east is once again, coming to come out stronger and better, thanks to the timing of the television market, and the value of live sports broadcasting.

Reaction Score
The Big East is not a stronger basketball conference than the ACC without SU and Pitt and with the likes of UCF, SMU, and Houston. Temple + Memphis /= SU + Pitt.

Reaction Score
Sure, I won't speak for all BC fans but based on the response of him leaving it's pretty safe to say I'm not alone in my thoughts.

First, on BC. He simply serves as a mouthpiece for Gene. Gene is a very "kiss the ring" type of micromanager (I call him Napoleon), you have to genuflect at his altar in order work with him. When the good times were rolling, few had a problem but now that he's blown up the football program it's no longer going completely unnoticed. There were articles last season where you could see Gene's fingerprints all over (using the same lines that Gene has in the past, nearly verbatim). Also when the fanbase was all riled up and calling for Gene & Spaz's head he would constantly troll the fanbase by calling us "anonymous tough guys behind keyboards" and other things of that ilk.

Beyond simply being a mouthpiece for Gene, he simply didn't work. I don't need to tell you that the market for college football in Boston will never be confused with Clemson, SC but from the last season wrap up articles in early December he maybe pumped out an article every two months until the ACC media days. Also, media has changed. Fewer and fewer are getting news from actual papers and *nearly* all are on twitter for their audience. He didn't tweet a single thing for 200 days and during the sesaon, all he would tweet about is his absurd realignment thoughts which brings me to....

Second, on reallignment. It's clear he has some connection to the old BE, you just need to look at who he first interviewed to see that. But his realignment theories read like huskyfandan on acid. Here's a sample, "We think B12...could go east and take UConn & Rutgers...." Whatever you think of your schools' ultimate destination in this game of musical chairs does anyone think the B12? Or, "We think that keeping BEast BB at 16 teams is one of the key issues" then less than a day later, "We think BEast is ready to move on expansion, 17 or 18 possible in BB". And then there are instances where he's just plain wrong. "We think BE will now hold Cuse & Pitt to 27 mo dept rule". Honestly no one thought that once it was announced they were leaving. It's been proven time and time again that teams will pay up in order to move conferences.

Wow that was a lot, all in all, I'm thrilled there will be a new person on the beat for BC football at the globe.

Globe will print stuff it believes that interest its readers. Globe readers are not interested in BC football. Blame this guy if you want, but BC fans aren't victims of the media, they are victim's of the innept leadership of that institution.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the issue is the acc got better for bball perception but not on the court. cuse and pitt won't be going to the final 4 any time soon. uconn and lville are legit threats just like duke and unc are.

the acc talks alot of poop about academics but if there was any actual smart ppl at those schools, they wouldn't let there athletic depts and conference admis be such retards. killing a conference is easy, take the most valuable schools that are the best at sports. wvu was the fball team and uconn was the bball team. hands down no argument on either side and if u do then your probably a acc school fan because your dumb. wvu keeps fsu and clem(cept for clem fans) happy while having good enough/rising bball that tobacco road is happy. uconn thrills tobacco road(cept for duke fans) and keep fsu/clem happy becuase they will be in the other new division and they are a rising public in the fball world. both schools can also hold there own in other sports. now with wvu and uconn for 14, the b12 gets tcu and then what? byu maybe. who cares, the point is the b12 stays west and the sec eventually goes for more b12 blood with the pac for the kill.

meanwhile all this psu stuff is happening and among it all psu gets a invite to a true eastern league. talk about a new beginning for that school. it would be what joepa wanted(for psu rtard fans). now you force notre dammits hands. if nd says no then lville. nd will say yes. game over. in baseball, soccer, lax etc u are the . puck east is even all set with bc and now nd and uconn. in basketball u take over msg and do it up, this conference between unc, duke, uconn and lville all over the sport. in fball u are at the big boy table with huge tv $$ being added with teams 13-16.

this is not directed at u claver, just a rant.

Reaction Score
The Globe is also going out of business
__

Or you can look at this for his quality of work:

"First of all, Matt Ryan was the QB for Jags two years..."

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=150#comment-18

Considering he was covering the team you'd think he would know who the starting QB was.

My point is really this simple. BC has to be very successful to carry any meaningful following in the Boston area. Gene's ducked the place up so bad that meaningful success on the field or court seems like an awful long way off, assuming it ever comes around again at all. Worrying about the media coverage in Boston is the tail wagging the dog.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
HA! When the PSU stuff came down, I told upstater I think, (not sure who I was writing back and forth with) that somwehre, Mike Tranghese is sitting in a corner, and telling anyone who will listen, that he was right about .....x.y.z......things. Blaudschaun was the guy, and it was in a little cafe in Newport probably a short walk from the press conference going on at the Viking. Classic.

I remember that post.

Reaction Score
the issue is the acc got better for bball perception but not on the court. cuse and pitt won't be going to the final 4 any time soon. uconn and lville are legit threats just like duke and unc are.

the acc talks alot of poop about academics but if there was any actual smart ppl at those schools, they wouldn't let there athletic depts and conference admis be such Fecunditying retards. killing a conference is easy, take the most valuable schools that are the best at sports. wvu was the fball team and uconn was the bball team. hands down no argument on either side and if u do then your probably a acc school fan because your dumb. wvu keeps fsu and clem(cept for clem fans) happy while having good enough/rising bball that tobacco road is happy. uconn thrills tobacco road(cept for duke fans) and keep fsu/clem happy becuase they will be in the other new division and they are a rising public in the fball world. both schools can also hold there own in other sports. now with wvu and uconn for 14, the b12 gets tcu and then what? byu maybe. who cares, the point is the b12 stays west and the sec eventually goes for more b12 blood with the pac for the kill.

meanwhile all this psu stuff is happening and among it all psu gets a invite to a true eastern league. talk about a new beginning for that school. it would be what joepa wanted(for psu rtard fans). now you force notre dammits hands. if nd says no then lville. nd will say yes. game over. in baseball, soccer, lax etc u are the ****. puck east is even all set with bc and now nd and uconn. in basketball u take over msg and do it up, this conference between unc, duke, uconn and lville ****s all over the sport. in fball u are at the big boy table with huge tv $$ being added with teams 13-16.

this is not directed at u claver, just a rant.

I fecunditying love HuskyfanDan.

Reaction Score
Personally, I find it "amusing" that Tranghese thinks UCONN ( the alleged NNBE flagship team) should leave the BE.

Reaction Score
LOL!

Reaction Score
Personally, I find it "amusing" that Tranghese thinks UCONN ( the alleged NNBE flagship team) should leave the BE.

I find it downright bizarre that you come and vist this board as a BC fan and post this . Doesn't BC have a board? ACC teams? WTF...

Reaction Score
LOL!

So you find it funny that UConn is way better than you in sports (except hockey)? Do you find it funny that the school that keeps eclipsing you just joined Hockey East and will probably hunt you down there before too long? Do you find it funny that the old "safety school" 90 miles west is skyrocketing up the university rankings and is now only 20 or 30 spots behind your Catholic private school? You know the overpriced school backed by the shrinking religion?

Not sure which it is that makes you laugh, but they all make me laugh.

Reaction Score
The posts keep getting funnier...love the delusion. "Hoophound in UConnland! " Catchy, maybe you can sell that fairytale to Disney.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
3 pages and no one brings up this gem:

"Syracuse is talking about owning New York City. That’s a joke. The only people who own New York City are people who win."

We are equal opportunity haters of BC and Cuse, can't let this go unrecognized

Reaction Score
The posts keep getting funnier...love the delusion. "Hoophound in UConnland! " Catchy, maybe you can sell that fairytale to Disney.

Ah, you love it. You must be basking in the glow of all your championships. Or maybe your big national following, or the great new coaches you've brought in, or your awesome facilities. Oh, wait.

Reaction Score
BC fears us because we are superior to them, hence they fear us and know our entrance into the watered down ACC would make them more irrelevant than they are now. (Which is hard to imagine.)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Do you find it funny that the school that keeps eclipsing you just joined Hockey East and will probably hunt you down there before too long?
You were fine with me up to there. Sorry, but this is laughably wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom