Trainer Moshak leaving TN | The Boneyard

Trainer Moshak leaving TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I feel like I am missing something. The article didn't really explain anything. What inequities? Why did it mention her mental Heath? She received a car after the 2008 national title? Damn I want a car. Holly sounds taken off guard.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This article from SI describes the lawsuit in more detail.

The suit filed on Oct. 11 by Moshak, Heather Mason, a Lady Vol strength and conditioning coach and Collin Schlosser, a former Lady Vol strength and conditioning coach who was one of the three men laid off in the downsizing, reinforces Jennings's portrayal of a department that has turned into a "good ol' boys club". The suit, which does not name Hart specifically, contends that the three plaintiffs were subjected to pay discrimination based on their gender and/or association with women's athletics, and were subjected to retaliation for filing a 2010 pay discrimination complaint with UT's Office of Equity and Diversity (which the OED eventually dismissed.) In Moshak's case, the suit contends that she was demoted, stripped of most of her supervisorial authority (including oversight and supervision of Team Enhance) and denied opportunity to apply for the head training position that eventually went to her counterpart on the men's side. The suit also contends that the university has allowed "a pattern and practice of gender discrimination to develop which indicates a lack of institutional control" and has created "a testosterone wall" that denies women equal pay and the plaintiffs the opportunity to advance by working in men's athletics.

Reaction Score
The suit also follows from the previous year in which the female AD was pushed out.

Reaction Score
Boy, there is simply no good way to spin that one...

In a word: Yes there is. But, before doing so, it is first necessary to remove the little hand grenade put into the comment in the first place. Referring to the matter as one of "spin" can be considered (I said can be not is) loaded and demeaning of the concept of pursuing equality and equal treatment and opposing job retaliation. So, if one has a concern, there are better words than "spin".

Here's how UT, or at least its women's basketball program may benefit from this action by Moshak.

First, it is important to do what can be done to overcome the serious and ongoing pattern of gender based pay discrimination.

Second, it is easy to overlook the seriousness of unequal pay when an elite program is involved. The assumption is too easily made that working for an elite program means everything is honky dory when, in fact, everything isn't.

Third, female basketball players know or should know the pot at the end of the rainbow in the WNBA and in commercial endorsements and in professional jobs of all kinds is a lot smaller for them than it is for male counterparts. It is wrong to overlook, sugarcoat and/or rationalize those facts away by crying broke or some other rationalization.

Fourth, by coming to UT, instead of, say, another program that pretends gender discrimination doesn't exist or downplays it, an elite recruit can be seen as taking a stand in favor of equal treatment. If UT develops an environment of vigilance in favor of equality, as expressed by staff, former staff AND players, a "coolness" element could easily develop or be nurtured.

Finally, this perspective can be put rhetorically. If you were an elite player or her parent, and if you were from, say, the lower income segment of the population (which is larger now than it has been and growing), or if you were simply progressively oriented, would you want to play in a hotbed of advocacy in favor of gender inequality; 'where the action is' so to speak? Let me know if you want my answer were it my granddaughters...

So, yes, there is, indeed, a very positive way to put this matter.

I wonder if Holly will take it and run with it? :-o

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
In a word: Yes there is. But, before doing so, it is first necessary to remove the little hand grenade put into the comment in the first place. Referring to the matter as one of "spin" can be considered (I said can be not is) loaded and demeaning of the concept of pursuing equality and equal treatment and opposing job retaliation. So, if one has a concern, there are better words than "spin".

Here's how UT, or at least its women's basketball program may benefit from this action by Moshak.

First, it is important to do what can be done to overcome the serious and ongoing pattern of gender based pay discrimination.

Second, it is easy to overlook the seriousness of unequal pay when an elite program is involved. The assumption is too easily made that working for an elite program means everything is honky dory when, in fact, everything isn't.

Third, female basketball players know or should know the pot at the end of the rainbow in the WNBA and in commercial endorsements and in professional jobs of all kinds is a lot smaller for them than it is for male counterparts. It is wrong to overlook, sugarcoat and/or rationalize those facts away by crying broke or some other rationalization.

Fourth, by coming to UT, instead of, say, another program that pretends gender discrimination doesn't exist or downplays it, an elite recruit can be seen as taking a stand in favor of equal treatment. If UT develops an environment of vigilance in favor of equality, as expressed by staff, former staff AND players, a "coolness" element could easily develop or be nurtured.

Finally, this perspective can be put rhetorically. If you were an elite player or her parent, and if you were from, say, the lower income segment of the population (which is larger now than it has been and growing), or if you were simply progressively oriented, would you want to play in a hotbed of advocacy in favor of gender inequality; 'where the action is' so to speak? Let me know if you want my answer were it my granddaughters...

So, yes, there is, indeed, a very positive way to put this matter.

I wonder if Holly will take it and run with it? :-o

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Eric wasn't saying Moshak was spinning the situation. He said that there's no way to make Tennessee look good in it.

But you can be happy. Your streak of thinking your fellow Boneyarders are a contemptible bunch continues to be unblemished.

Reaction Score
Wow, this means that they now have a new AD, a new head coach, a new strength and conditioning coach AND a new athletic trainer.

This ain't your momma's Tennessee.

Some like it "progressive" (i.e., change, new and improved, hip, cool, moving on, gettin' on up, let's get it on, mercy mercy me, burn baby, etc., if you get my drift).

Some prefer the status quo, slow, stay the same, middle of the road, stiff, staid, stogie, old, tame, timid, etc., (if you get my drift on this one, too).

And, I hasten to add for sake of clarity, no, DD, I am not talking about YOU. I am talking about progressive versus conservative interpretation of the Moshak lawsuit against UT for discrimination and retaliation.

Best regards

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
While it's not happening at a college, I think it's appropriate to note here, for historical purposes, that the Dodgers, the same team that introduced Jackie Robinson to MLB in 1947, are also leading the way in introducing females into the major league dugout. The Dodgers have the first female head trainer in MLB, Sue Falsone.
Barrier-breaking female trainer a good fit for Dodgers

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Some like it "progressive" (i.e., change, new and improved, hip, cool, moving on, gettin' on up, let's get it on, mercy mercy me, burn baby, etc., if you get my drift).

Some prefer the status quo, slow, stay the same, middle of the road, stiff, staid, stogie, old, tame, timid, etc., (if you get my drift on this one, too).

And, I hasten to add for sake of clarity, no, DD, I am not talking about YOU. I am talking about progressive versus conservative interpretation of the Moshak lawsuit against UT for discrimination and retaliation.

Best regards

None of what you posted has to do with what I posted.

Reaction Score
Eric wasn't saying Moshak was spinning the situation. He said that there's no way to make Tennessee look good in it.

But you can be happy. Your streak of thinking your fellow Boneyarders are a contemptible bunch continues to be unblemished.

I do wish posters would ask me if their interpretations are correct before coming to a conclusion.

I would have been perfectly happy to respond to a post that said:

"JP, do you think your fellow boneyarders are a contemptible bunch? It seems to me you do. Care to comment?"

There are, of course, many ways to do that, some fairer than others. Note, for instance, I took care to use the phrase "can be not is" in making sure I was not coming to a conclusion about the use of the word "spin."

I really mean no harm. Are my comments thought provoking? I hope so. But, I'm only engaging in dialogue. That said, I here acknowledge that words can sting. Best reply to a comment that offends, is one that refutes.

So, with that said, let me conclude:

I hold my fellow boneyarders in high esteem, value their knowledge of the game and cherish that we are all in the midst of a sports dynasty.

If there is anything unclear about my high praise for boneyarders, let me know and I will try to clarify my high praise for and appreciation of boneyarders.

:)

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
" and has created "a testosterone wall" that denies women equal pay and the plaintiffs the opportunity to advance by working in men's athletics.

Wouldn't a testosterone wall be rather flimsy and easy to break thorough? Steroid hormones usually are not a good building material.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I was surprised by this. I do like the new hire of the strength coach. I hope a new trainer will get hired soon.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I do wish posters would ask me if their interpretations are correct before coming to a conclusion.

"JP, do you think your fellow boneyarders are a contemptible bunch? It seems to me you do. Care to comment?"

There are, of course, many ways to do that, some fairer than others. Note, for instance, I took care to use the phrase "can be not is" in making sure I was not coming to a conclusion about the use of the word "spin."

I really mean no harm. Are my comments thought provoking? I hope so. But, I'm only engaging in dialogue. That said, I here acknowledge that words can sting. Best reply to a comment that offends, is one that refutes.

I hold my fellow boneyarders in high esteem, value their knowledge of the game and cherish that we are all in the midst of a sports dynasty.

If there is anything unclear about my high praise for boneyarders, let me know and I will try to clarify my high praise for and appreciation of boneyarders.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yet another really fun thread. What is going on around here?

Anyway, pretty soon the season. Can't WAIT for that.

Back to the books for me....

Reaction Score
None of what you posted has to do with what I posted.

If that is your claim and if you are sticking with it, then what you posted was vague, unclear. Is that what you intended?

By way of one example, after listing a number of staff changes, you concluded the post in question with:

"This ain't your momma's Tennessee"

So, "change" versus "status quo" was close on to explicit based on the ordinary meaning of words you used. The quoted phrase was therefore understood to be based on the Oldsmobile use of "not your fathers olds" that was used as a slogan to overcome Oldsmobile's image as being outdated, staid, timid, etc.

It d'int work. Olds went out of business.

It appeared that was the tenor of your post, to which I replied.

Oh, one other thing, I assume this still won't make sense to you and that you'll re-post for the third time your funny video. Am I correct?

Reaction Score

Dear DD

Here's one that might help

image.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In a word: Yes there is. But, before doing so, it is first necessary to remove the little hand grenade put into the comment in the first place. Referring to the matter as one of "spin" can be considered (I said can be not is) loaded and demeaning of the concept of pursuing equality and equal treatment and opposing job retaliation. So, if one has a concern, there are better words than "spin"
I'm not even going to respond to the rest of your post because your comments were beyond silly. It would be the equivalent of comparing how UCONN might benefit if Geno retired under a cloud of ugliness regarding the university, and frankly, made no sense at all.

Due to the overall atmosphere since I raised issues of equality at the University of Tennessee and given the university’s unwillingness to address the issues of discrimination and retaliation, I cannot continue my association with the university’s athletic department,” Moshak said in the statement.

Will it affect recruiting? Highly unlikely. But is it another blemish on the University with regards to the issue of discrimination and how women are treated at Tennessee? Of course. And for the record, not a single poster on the Summitt believes this is a good thing.

Reaction Score
... by coming to UT, instead of, say, another program that pretends gender discrimination doesn't exist or downplays it, an elite recruit can be seen as taking a stand in favor of equal treatment. If UT develops an environment of vigilance in favor of equality, as expressed by staff, former staff AND players, a "coolness" element could easily develop or be nurtured ...

This is the most logically contorted piece of nonsense I've read in many a year. Methinks jplotinus has been slugging down some Tennessee moonshine on his trips to ole Rocky Top.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Would you please go though and praise each one individually. Say 5- 10 words each? Alphabetical would be nice.

Reaction Score
I'm not even going to respond to the rest of your post because your comments were beyond silly. It would be the equivalent of comparing how UCONN might benefit if Geno retired under a cloud of ugliness regarding the university, and frankly, made no sense at all.

Due to the overall atmosphere since I raised issues of equality at the University of Tennessee and given the university’s unwillingness to address the issues of discrimination and retaliation, I cannot continue my association with the university’s athletic department,” Moshak said in the statement.

Will it affect recruiting? Highly unlikely. But is it another blemish on the University with regards to the issue of discrimination and how women are treated at Tennessee? Of course. And for the record, not a single poster on the Summitt believes this is a good thing.

Hi Eric

You are probably right, of course.

Alls I did was man up on whether a positive "spin" (read: interpretation) could be put on the matter.

You said "no way". I said, there is A way and took a stab at it. Did I succeed? No, of course not if by success one means getting agreement and "likes" from posters. Did it provoke thought? I think the answer to that is "yah, it did that". I mean, after all, have you taken a look at that video clip DD posted?

It's all good, as far as I'm concerned Eric. :)

Ps

Your reference to Geno's retiring is way premature. But, when that happens, it is very, very difficult to successfully transition from a legend.
You agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedRabbit84